smaller bases with big bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smaller bases with big bases

Can a skink priest (20mm) be put in a unit of saurus warriors (25mm) ?
    will he have to stand at the side of the front rank or can he go in the middle of the front rank

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

He can join, but has to stand to the side of the front rank.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yep, just like the examples provided in the BRB- he is on a different base so he stands to the side and doesn't affect ranks. That means you have:

BBBBBS
    BBBBB
    BBBBB
    where B is a "big saurus" and S is your Skink.
    The only exception to this, which you get to make use of, is your ability to drop 40mm Kroxigors into the middle of a 20mm Skink regiment. But that's simply because they'll line up evenly.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    The only exception to this, which you get to make use of, is your ability to drop 40mm Kroxigors into the middle of a 20mm Skink regiment. But that's simply because they'll line up evenly.
    Well, not the only exception. There are other options such as a slann or cold one mounted character in warrior or temple guard units. A slann in a unit of cold one riders (that would be weird). Basicacally they have to be a multiple of the units base size to go in the unit.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well one solution to this problem is a completely useless item in 7th edition.

The horned one has been FAQ'd. It states "Does not count as a magic item for rules purposes", so you could throw any skink on him for 35 points without eating up your magic item points allotment. 25mx50x fits the "footprint" just fine. Gives him 2 armor to boot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlsims View Post
    Well one solution to this problem is a completely useless item in 7th edition.

The horned one has been FAQ'd. It states "Does not count as a magic item for rules purposes", so you could throw any skink on him for 35 points without eating up your magic item points allotment. 25mx50x fits the "footprint" just fine. Gives him 2 armor to boot.
    It would still eat up your magic points. The FAQ is there to show that if the magic in the item is somehow destroyed, you still get the keep the mount, though it will just count as a normal cold one from that point forward.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reference please?

I'm reading the most up to date FAQ and it simply states

"Q. Does a Horned One count a magic item for rules purposes, or is it
    only a special type of cavalry mount ? (p101)
    A. It is only a cavalry mount."

Implying that it is not a magic item at all, for any rule purposes, it is only a cavalry mount.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

"Rules purposes" is the phrase to look at. It means that spells like vaul's unmaking won't make it disappear. Do you actually think they mean to give you a mount for free? It is basically the same FAQ that was in 7th edition. They just don't want the mount to disappear from under you.

SirKently

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlsims View Post
    Reference please?

I'm reading the most up to date FAQ and it simply states

"Q. Does a Horned One count a magic item for rules purposes, or is it
    only a special type of cavalry mount ? (p101)
    A. It is only a cavalry mount."

Implying that it is not a magic item at all, for any rule purposes, it is only a cavalry mount.
    Another thing is, if it wasn't a magic item, why would it be in the magic items section? If it was just a special mount, then it would have been listed just like the option to take a normal cold one is. The fact that it is listed in the magic items section is defining to me.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, one for the ages I guess.

I take the phrase "it is only a cavalry mount" to mean just that. It's just a mount, nothing more, nothing less. We could talk about RAI all day and still wouldn't have a real answer.

Regardless, even if you did take it as part of your magic item's cost, it is still a good way to get a skink priest on an even "footprint" with saurus, for whatever purpose you might have (like getting him safely into the second rank legally, assuming you have 2 other heroes). Personally I don't mind sticking um out on the side, normally means they get attacked less, if at all.

+ Reply to Thread