Librarium Online Forums banner

Steg Question?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  UbaNess 
#1 ·
I just wanted to know how many Stegadons is too much & too less in a 2500pt list, because i read in another post saying that one is just not enough.

So i'm going to change my original question to: How many Steg's is too much & how many Steg's is just right in a 2500pt list? thanx or does it really depend on what army your battling against?.

p.s sorry if this question has been asked before.

#2 ·
I would guess that a lot depends on the army you are faceing.
Im pretty new to Lizardmen myself and, when starting, really fancied a couple of Stegs in my army.
I have found though that 1 is just never effective (Using one for the Engine of the Gods alone just doesnt seem to be worth the points spent)
I have tried 2 with limited success, I would say 3 would be required to be really effective, but then the points could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Stegs tend to become an expensive war-machine magnet and you really need muyltiple flank-charges from them and most players will take steps to stop this if you are just running one or two. Add a third and it becomes very difficult for your opponent to stop all of your efforts.
This is from my experience running Saurus heavy lists (with Slann). I have som eideas where a Skink heavy list could be make 2 Stegs more effective, but am yet to put this into practice.

#6 ·
Vs armies that have war machines capable of dropping a Steggie in very short order- the Empire, Dwarfs, HE and DE (RBT single shot). In this case, I would, going in, go with either 2 or none, as the odds are they are going to have cannons that can reach out and hit you fairly easily.

Vs anything else with low LD (the Skaven, O&G, Beastmen, Ogres) I would keep it at one, and you want it to have a medium role in your battle plan- you don't want to have it where if you lose it there goes your battle plan, but you do want it decked out enough to carry the day if the Force is with you and things go your way.

#9 ·
i would not say O&G or not that O&G persone i know use 3 fanatics or doom dive/rock loober/ ************* and so its about dead and plzz dont say : then use it on the orcs then becose he got 1 unit black orc at the side of 1-2 goblin units all the time so then it i try to come i get hit by 3-6 fanatics but that just the player i know i am not sure about all O&G do that

#7 ·
GMJoeSolarte seems to have nailed it, if they've got enough war machines then its almost pointless to take ANY steg's. I'm running only 1 regular steg atm (1250 pt games) and its working amazingly well. Not because the steg is getting so many kills, but because 75% of my enemies army can't stop attacking it lol. I let the steg be the arrow-sponge everyone thinks it is, and ram my cav into their flank :)

So personally in a 2.5k game, I'd run 2 or 3 regular steg's. Let everyone shoot and attack the steg's (unless there are cannons lol) and use skinks, cold ones, and terradons to outflank.

Reactions: Bizkit
#11 ·
Again, Joe's got it.

Against O&G? 1 ancient steg (burning alignment, giant blowpipes) or none at all. Only thing I'm worried about vs. O&G is how many salamanders can I field. Fill up the army with skinks, sally's, terradons (if warmachines are killin ya), and prob some scar-vets (or oldblood if points allow). Can't say that priests would be the best option here but lore of life would be handy with what should be a horde style LM army, I like mage's so I'd try it (mebbe 2 level 2 priests). But yeah literally fight fire with... fire... salamander fire and poison blowdart fire.

Also, I've got little knowledge about the O&G rules, but I DO know that a 1000 point LM army (with 250 points spent on heroes) can run 107 skink skirmishers in it, meaning 214 poison blowdarts... should work methinx.

Gobbos roasting on an open fire.....

#12 ·
he got a gaint to def the WM but i dont fear the gaint my steggie have won many battles vs a gaint ( most of the time it was a skink that make the last wound yea skinks!) btw the doom diver thing its S6 or 5 no armor safe and only got 2 steg models 1 EOTG and 1, 7th edition steg and i dont got any camo skinks in the stores they cost to much for me i think for not many figs but i got some terradons ty i think i wanna do a match aginst him now :)

#13 ·
Camo skinks are a super easy conversion tho, just a lil green stuff for a curly tail and bugged out eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.