Black Orcs - How do you take them out? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Orcs - How do you take them out?

The title pretty much says it all. I am going up against O&G and he always brings a unit for 30 black orcs with his lord and some named hero in there. I have set them up to fight in water and have still been wiped clean... Any help would be great.

I did check the O&G forums and they didn't have anything.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Orcs are tricky, especially if they take Noggs Banner of Butchery and 2 hand weapons O.ö

Tbh i try and grind the down steadily. Either with magic or with shooting. If you run a slann, through the TG into the mix. Give 'em reg and T8 and they can hold those Black Orcs until the Old Ones return!
    Then, when they are held up in combat you take either a unit of Saurus, Stegadon or anything that hits hard and slam it into their flank or rear.

You handle Black Orcs like you handle any other elite army unit. Flank them, Magic them, Shoot them and then you beat the snot out of them with something big and scary.

The term "whats that coming out over the hill is it a monster Oh S"@* ITS A MONSTER RUN FOR IT!!" works in that sense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Orcs are never easy, they are the absolute best that O&G have to offer.

If you have the Salamanders or a Slann to shred them down, do it, but you have to expect that a good number of them WILL make it to CC and it is just a matter of then putting the right troops out to hold.

The good news is that with cold blooded, and even if you have regular Saurus warriors, they do have a fighting chance at holding their own against them. Obviously if you have TG and a Slann, then in theory your unit has an even better chance. Be weary as I think O&G had a banner that could neutralize any spell user that they are in CC with so that is a HUGE deal if they still have it.

I guess it comes down to whether you KNOW you are going up against them (ie, specific to his army) or if you are going against random people.

One option is to have a huge unit of Saurus to go head to head with him, decked out to at least stand even if they lose. 30 Black Orcs, a lord and a named hero are a huge part of his army and if you can mop up elsewhere and capture table corners you may be able to offset anything he does.

If the Lord is with them, you can't expect his unit to ever panic, or fail a psychology test. I mean, if he does, then you were probably meant to win the battle because black orcs failing either will cause other units to have to test as well.

So I would probably go with two big blocks of 20 Saurus Warriors, a big block of 20 TG. Have Skinks to flank all of them, you probably want to send a Skink unit head to head with him to see exactly what magic items/banners he might have to make sure you have the right actions declared. If I am going with a Scar Veteran, I might drop the 20 TG for more Saurus Warriors.

If you can get a unit of Razordons in front of him, they should be able to shoot enough of them even if charged to cover their own costs, even if they lose the battle.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

If you have a slann with either shadow or death, the initiative spells would do well. Salamanders can whittle them down, especially if a slann casts withering on them. For close combat warriors have the best shot, though if you can buff them with flesh to stone, you have a better chance.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have been playing the game wrong with my friends...
    in short if a unit died off the front rank I did not attack with that unit when it was my turn.. Now with the 8th ed. that rule is gone and black orcs should be a snack..

Thanks for the help!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 8th edition, is the auto-break from fear causing enemies rule still in effect? If so, and if LM still have access to that banner that generates fear, then you have another option. You would just need that huge unit of TG with it, or a Scar Veteran BSB/Slann w/BSB fear banner in a unit of Saurus Warriors to make this happen.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoeSolarte View Post
    In 8th edition, is the auto-break from fear causing enemies rule still in effect? If so, and if LM still have access to that banner that generates fear, then you have another option. You would just need that huge unit of TG with it, or a Scar Veteran BSB/Slann w/BSB fear banner in a unit of Saurus Warriors to make this happen.
    Not in effect anymore. Just a leadership check or WS1 for that round of combat.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Not in effect anymore. Just a leadership check or WS1 for that round of combat.

SirKently
    Oh, ok not aware of that. Well then, that certainly changes things up.

Then I would have to say, if you absolutely KNOW he is going to run the above build (30 BO, a BO warlord and named hero), then that is probably the majority of his army. Your options become A) do I put up an army that can go against this unit head-to-head or do you want a army that can do what it can, but can do other things to win the battle. What else is his running in this army list? It seems that he has most of his points in a 2000 point list right there. He is giving up something, which means either you want to use skink skirmishers to slow him down initially, and have salamanders galore and a powerful Slann to do as much damage as you can. His army won't fail the panic test if a lord is in their unit no matter what, so that is pretty much what you have to look at.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signature Shadow Spell + Pit of Shades + Pendulum. Those three spells eat up any unit when used in conjunction. Or if you have a life slann and temple guard, well just flesh to stone and earthblood till the cows come home. Beatem in the magic phase is my solemn advise. Even if he gets the WAAGH! or Bash'em Lads off, there really won't be a competition with T8 Regenerating temple guard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like it would work to me.

My concern would be if this BO is also done to be as anti-magic as possible. Even in the above conditions, any magic they manage to dispel via lucky dice would be ruinous to your army. And if the Orcs still have that BSB that has that banner that neutralizes all magic by any wizard in cc with it, if it makes it to your TG unit you are in BIG trouble.

+ Reply to Thread