Special Characters. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Special Characters.

So what are you opinions on the special characters? What do you sometimes run?

Maybe some of their greatest feats?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you mean the named characters, right?

For the lords I only really like Kroq-Gar, him and a massive force of Cold one Riders (hihi). He took out an entire dwarvengunline with just 2 remaining cold one riders of which one was carrying the Sun Standard
    The other lords are either too much of a point sink, too specific or too fragile for my taste.

For the heroes,
    I really liked tetto'eko, but that was in 7th I havent played with him for a while now. I like his ability to take the comet to another level As if the comet itself wasnt worse enough to land on your neat little regiments, Tetto'Eko can make it more of an astroid

Also I like Chakax, His stopping power is great! Its a good choice to put in the front rank of you TG unit. Just to make sure your slann will be safe! Running him offensive is just as deserving though... again I last fielded this one in 7th.

I dont run named character often though. Most of the times I fielded a named one where during the 7th edition. So I cant tell how good they would be in this current edition. Still I think it can be great fun, and they can really turn the game upside down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with most of the lizardmen named characters is that they are way over-cost and/or the change to 8th and subsequent errata has hurt them bad. But some are worth running in friendly game for fun.

Lord Kroak: The Lizardmen errata for 8th hurts Lord Kroak big time and makes him suck. If he casts with irrestable force he fails the spell? Man that is really stupid. If guess in a friendly game, if your opponenst would let you ignore that rule then he would be fun to try. Only knowing one spell is scary because there are some things than can steal a single spell, which then would make him a really expensive channeler. Unbreakable Temple Guard sounds great if you wanted to run a huge unit of them, but with a regular Slann BSB in them they should almost never break for you anyway. Thumbs Down.

Lord Mazdamundi: His magic item is just strange in that he gets just one attack. Large targer BSB is nice, wish it was magical in some way though. Loremaster is nice but we could do that with anybody. Ruination of Cities is a cool spell. But not having the Focused Rhumination is just dumb. I think the downside is that a Slann plus a Stegadon is probably worse than a Slann and a Stegadon. Thumbs Down.

Kroq-Gar: Personally I think you can build a more killy combat lord for about 150 points cheaper using new magic items from the rulebook. The 5+ ward save is ok. The Hand of the Gods spell is nerfed just the same as all bound spells - you've got to throw two dice to realiably cast it. His spear is just a spear but can count double combat res for wounds. Big deal - being a character on a monster mount he cant break ranks anymore anyway so almost anybody you charge will be steadfast against him. A unit of Cold One Cavalry as a core choice is cool. Would let you run a big unit of 15 or so. Too bad he cant join them due to 8th edition rules saying that monsters cant join units and the carnosaur is a monster, which goes directly against his fluff. Thumbs Down.

Tehenhauin: A level 2 wizard lord for 250 points than can only cast from Lore of Beasts? You've got to be kidding, Andy Hoare! You can put him on an ancient steg running an engine but good lord that is a lot of points. Maybe if he gave skinks hatred against everything - not just skaven. Tide of serpents and the 5+ ward save is like a consolation prize. Thumbs Down unless you are playing a theme list against Skaven.

Chakkax: Yet another victim to the Lizzies 8th edition errata - I tell you whoever wrote that really hates our army or didn't know what they were doing. Chakkax was always too epensive anyway but Unbreakable Temple Guard and re-roll failed LoS rolls are nice enough. The ability to call out hidden models is still super sweet. The ability of the star stone mace is awesome. But the change in how his The Key to the Eternity Chamber "super always strikes first" when in a challenge rule works is just terrible. Now he just gives his opponent always strikes last when in a challenge. But since he has a great weapon, he has always strikes last himself at lizardmen initiative. So what's the point? They ruined the entire purpose of the character. Thumbs Down.

Gor-Rok: At 215 points he isn't too bad. You could build a fairly comparable Oldblood with the Tricksters Helm and the Crown of Command for 230 points base but one extra wound. He is also the only character for the Lizzies that got better due to the errata. Gor-Rok in a big deep unit of stubborn Saurus Warriors with spears is pretty scary let me tell you. Thumbs Up.

Tetto'eko: He is a little over cost for a level 2 wizard (almost as much as a slann) but his abilties might offset it. Lore of the Heavens is an underrated Lore with a good mix of kiling power and augments. 5+ ward is nice. You almost have to run him in a token block of skinks which drives his price up further. Being able to redeploy D3 units could be huge depending on the game and scenario. Comet of cassondora is arguably better in 8th since it isn't remains in play and his abiltiy is awesome with it. Herald of Cosmic Events can give you one Teclis like magic phase. Too bad you can't roll for the winds of magic before deciding to use it. Thumbs Up for a fun game or comet spaming.

Tiktaq'to: Uhg...why does he cost so much? Additional -1 to shoot at them is ok. 6+ Ward and Magical Resistance 1...meh. No armor saves on his 3 attacks is nice but I can do that with a 50 point magic item. So, his randomish Master of Skies ability, which is pretty much worse than the Ambusher rule, is supposed to be worth what, 150 points? I would rather just run a skink chief on a terradon with a unit of terradon riders for the same number of points as this one guy. Thumbs Down.

Oxyotl: Cham Skink character with sniper and super poison. Pretty cool. Probably not worth the points but he is cheap enough to where he is worth trying for fun. Thumbs Up.

6. ThanksEduardo Rodriguez thanked for this post.
    LikeEduardo Rodriguez liked this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote for a sticky!!! Very Nice list.

+ Reply to Thread