Ideal saurus unit size in 8th edition? hw/s or spears? blocks of 24, 30? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Ideal saurus unit size in 8th edition? hw/s or spears? blocks of 24, 30?

Hey LO, need some help before I continue forth in building anymore saurus, I have the option of HW/S or Spears, and I'm not really sure which are better, I'm going to be playing 2500 points mostly. Basically I want to know whats the general consensus on both, how many should I run in a unit if they have spears, and how many if they have HW/S? Is it a good idea to mix and match, or just stick with one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I prefer to run units of 30 with hand weapon and shield. Usually have 2 to 3 units, depending on the size of the game. Of course, my choice also is influenced by the fact I like a life slann. I just really like the staying power of this unit with that lore. Also, they are cheaper.

Minimum size I would advocate is 24. I have also tried the horde formation with 40, but found it to be a waste of points overall.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Thanks for the input, is a block of 24 with hand weapon and shield too small? Is 30 the most effective number for this combo? Also are spears not a good choice to run with a life slann? Or is this just personal preferance? I ask, because I already have some that I bought off Ebay that have spears. What do you think of mixing both into an army list? Sorry for the barrage of questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Saurus, be they Temple Guard or Warriors, to be in blocks of 30. I wouldn't give spears to a unit of Warriors that number less than 30. I agree with sirkentley that the minimum size should be 24 for warriors and probably 20 for guard. A Life-Slann list should probably have at least one unit of 30 Warriors in addition to a unit of Temple Guard. I run my unit of 30 Warriors with Spears in my Life lists for the extra rank of attacks. I've considered running flanking units of 10 Warriors with HW & Shield to assist my skirmishers on the flanks because my main opponent usually has a large force of skirmishers that brush aside my skinks too easily.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I'm thinking I'll take one unit of 30 warriors with hand weapon and shield, and another unit of 30 with spears and shields. I'll probably stick with a 20 man block of temple guard for my slann. Since I will be using life for the most part, I feel 20 is probably enough, that's 3 decently sized blocks of saurus, and I really dig the rank bonus from the spears, feels like it will give me a little bit more offense.

+ Reply to Thread