[list] New To Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,
    I would appreciate any sugestions and tips for what I have as I do not really plan to purchase much more.

What I have, points wise sits nicely at a decent 2150 but max at around 2300 give or take a few.

Carnasaur with lord
    2 skink preists
    32 lizardmen with command, handweapon and shields
    44 skinks blowguns and hand weapons
    8 cold ones with command, spears and shields
    5 kroxagors

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Welcom at librarium-online relyt.

This can make a very usable army, yes. The saurus make a steady core. The cold ones and kroxies make excellent shocktroops. The skinks can do all the jobs needing flexibility. And you've a lot of them, giving some bulk this army. The priests will give magic defense and those superb rerolls. And your Oldblood on carnie is a real killing machine.
    If used right of course.

The only tip I give for now is split your saurus in 2. And your skinks in about 4 units.
    You've got to make a blueprint, it's your list. Then I'll be more than happy to reply.

And how in the world did you manage to get 44 skinks? Normally they come per 24. Don't you mean 48?

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Araith@Feb 28 2005, 12:34
    Welcom at librarium-online relyt.

This can make a very usable army, yes. The saurus make a steady core. The cold ones and kroxies make excellent shocktroops. The skinks can do all the jobs needing flexibility. And you've a lot of them, giving some bulk this army. The priests will give magic defense and those superb rerolls. And your Oldblood on carnie is a real killing machine.
    If used right of course.

The only tip I give for now is split your saurus in 2. And your skinks in about 4 units.
    You've got to make a blueprint, it's your list. Then I'll be more than happy to reply.

And how in the world did you manage to get 44 skinks? Normally they come per 24. Don't you mean 48?
    Tai'shar
    [snapback]340545[/snapback]
    44 Skinks- I bought 1 box of 24 from store and bought 20 skinks from a freind for 10 bucks great deal I thought.

A Blueprint hum not sure what you mean by that but here goes what I think you mean.

In theory I will place
    4 units of 11 skinks first in or near various terrain peices with the thought of
    1 unit to screen the kroxagors and 1 unit screening the coldones
    still debateing over the scouting ability and if it and or braves are worthwhile to have.

next would be the kroxagors near center table
    next would be the coldones about 6-7" to one flank side or the other of the kroxagors, with a war banner that should help the coldones somewhat
    next would be the block of 32 lizardmen with a 5 man front or about 6" across they would go inbetween the kroxagors and the cold ones
    with I think 2 blessings, +1save, +1dispell dice
    ( someone said that a larger single unit of them would help more than to have 2 units , SO if I were to ever want to do so I would need to get more lizards in order to make another command unit (48 would give 2 units of 24).
    last would be the preists near the skinks that are not screening
    still debating on what gear to give them other than dispell scrolls
    and then carnasuar lord behind the coldones I think.........
    3 blessings, carnasuar mount, +1save +1attack on charge
    shield +1 save, +1 attack
    magic sword +2 attacks
    and a 5+ ward save
    (thats 5 base attacks +3 from gear and +1 on charge from blessing <do I get one more???> 9 attacks at S5 seems rather good and that carnasaur in combination should wipe an entire frontage of almost any unit out there)

(I played my first game with the lizards last night without the carnasaur lord *it is in the PAINT process & should be done friday*, against a vampire army and I learned a few things of what not to do
    <I GOT 90% DEAD LIZARDS&#33;> hense what I think might work better above)

Okay I thought that a unit champion and or lord while in a unit if not in a challenge was not targetable???? and lost units because of it and the vampires magic phase was outstanding and I only had 5 dispell and 2 scrolls.

(purhapes to much confusion between rule sets on fantasy and 40K as I play that also)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

For the 32 block of saurus I tell you again, plz split them in two. They will either avoid you, shoot and blast you with magic. Or they will charge you from all sides.
    Or both...

Anyway 32 is useless. Only use blocks of either 16 or 20, unless playing games of above 4000 points. With 16 or 20 you can have full rank bonus, a rank to spare to keep that full rank bonus longer. And you&#39;ve got a front of 4 or 5, which is enough.
    And 2 blocks can support each other, which you&#39;ll need with lizzies. Saurus are tough and don&#39;t run quickly. But if surrounded they will die, sooner or later.

For the skinks, the braves are useless. They only get +1 BS. And if you use them as screens for you powerful troops, you want them to be cheap.
    And scouts are usefull, but if you plan on using them as screens, it isn&#39;t necessary. Far from it.

Tai&#39;shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Araith@Mar 1 2005, 10:31
    For the skinks, the braves are useless. They only get +1 BS. And if you use them as screens for you powerful troops, you want them to be cheap.
    [snapback]341518[/snapback]
    I think that yo&#39;re forgetting that braves, any champion for that matter, can challenge heroes and other champions. So, lets say a unit of knights is gonna tattack u next turn, but the hero has like 1 wound left.
    Challenge him with your skink guy. You get 2 attacks, and one is a 6. Automatic kill, and you took our 100+ points of hero, and minimizing the amount of damage the knights unit can do. 5 points for a champion is worth it&#33;
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder for ours is the true path and none shall defy us.</div>
    Translation from ancient plaques attributed to Venerable Lord Kroak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by BurnDaHalflings@Mar 5 2005, 14:53
    I think that yo&#39;re forgetting that braves, any champion for that matter, can challenge heroes and other champions. So, lets say a unit of knights is gonna tattack u next turn, but the hero has like 1 wound left.
    Challenge him with your skink guy. You get 2 attacks, and one is a 6. Automatic kill, and you took our 100+ points of hero, and minimizing the amount of damage the knights unit can do. 5 points for a champion is worth it&#33;
    [snapback]344937[/snapback]
    Correct me if I am wrong here,

IF I have a skink brave ( I dont run them ) and lets say I get off a charge on a nasty hero

WS 2 versus at least a WS 4 maybe WS 5+ so I need at least a 4 to hit them with my pittiful 2 attacks
    Lets say I actually hit both times...
    now it is S 3 versus T 4 maybe T 5+ so I now need a 5, 6 to wound.
    and assuming the Hero has a save and a ward save chances are that skink is DEAD because it has no save period.
    NOTHING says that the blowpipe affects combat only shooting so I fail to see how getting a 6 means that hero is DEAD....

Anyways I still need some pointers as I am still losing more than I think I should.
    I have my carnosaur done looks good

Battle #2 Lizards Vs Dwarfs
    I will touch on game Breifly
    I had 4 units of 11 skinks set about 1" in front of the entire army as a screen
    marched them forward 12"
    marched the Cav left flank, marched the 5 kroxagors right flank
    had the carnosaur right of the kroxagors
    and ran the warriors almost center up the middle

suffered about 90%skink losses but that was acceptable
    suffered 3 casualties on the Cav
    Stupid kroxagors failed a panic and did not see battle ever allthough they did not die or run off the table either
    carnosaur and lord each suffered 2 wounds
    and the warriors suffered about 40% casualties
    Game Win for me

Rematch
    It was outstanding for the Dwarfs and my dice rolls were horrid as I lost the Rematch with basicly the same tactics except the terrain changed slightly and instead of 4 units of 11 I went with 2 units of 22 skinks as the points did not change.

I Now Own:
    1- Carnasaur - Lord
    2- Skink Preist
    32- warriors
    44- skinks
    8- coldones
    6- kroxagors

Debating on buying a another box of warriors to have 2 units of 24 warriors
    ( Are SPEARS worth it on the warriors?
    Currently they are all modeled with handweapons and shields )
    Eventually I might buy a SLANN for magic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

2 units of 22 skirmishers (which they are, it isn&#39;t southlands) isn&#39;t going to work. They are shirmishers, not an infantry block. That&#39;s what you&#39;ve got saurus for.

And I assume your carnie, cav and your kroxies were behind the screen, during march.
    And kroxies failing a save can happen. Even guys like Aenarion, Korhil etc can fail saves. Just bad luck.

But burndahalflings has a point. Maybe it&#39;s near impossible to kill another hero. At least you have chance of fending of a charge. At least, if the enemy cavalry even notices the skinks crawling over the battlefield, or if they haven&#39;t fled long before due to shooting. But the chance is there and everything we can do to counter cavalry charges is needed.

Tai&#39;shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please keep these sort of posts to PMs. KU
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder for ours is the true path and none shall defy us.</div>
    Translation from ancient plaques attributed to Venerable Lord Kroak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great suggestions I appreciate them BUT....
    This being a fairly generic list and not intended for any particular rulesets.

1 carosaur - lord
    2 skink preist
    44 skinks
    32 warriors
    8 coldones
    6 kroxagors

it seems to me that running 4 units of 10 or 11 skinks to screen is a good idea
    I intend to try the idea of 2 units of 16 warriors to see how that goes
    and plan on haveing 2 units of 3 kroxagors

back to the original question then....
    what to do for tactics with this army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally have 2 units of about 10 skinks as scouts to draw the enemy out of position. Their pretty annoying, when harrasing, I arm them with blow pipes because of the range and the double attack. For screens, again about 2 units of 10, i equip with javelins, for non penalty attks and 6+ armour save. Also, for the hero, I nor&#092;mally get him the 4+ ward save thing for strength 5 of above. it&#39;s certainly worth its points, blocking many of dwarven cannon or dark elven repeater bolt along with several dreadful great weapoins.

as for the tactics, I would recommend you to read the tactics section for Lord Chipupula (or whatever his name was)&#39;s tactics. It might be useful. If not, just charge your whole army forward ,preferaby with a nice stegadon (but u got saurus clavary so...) the skinks (scouts should harrass the enemy and draw them out of position, sometimes udying in the process, who cares&#33;&#33; the screens would ( i mean will) get massarcred by misiles, charges etc or whatever. Once yyou have the oppurtunity, move ur half dead or maybe all dead skinks aside and charge ur saurus&#39;s. Saurus&#39;s are stough, being able to kill normal troops quite easily. I &#39;m surmising that you put the Kroxigors in the flank, so you can rush past the skinks and crunch down chariots + heavy calvary in the flank, with another units to take the damge. The carnorsor guy can flank charge or rear charge almost anything and receive exellent results, punching a whoole through the best regiments. In the whole, I think you have tons of flanking units. The saurii calvary is more or less the same thing, breaking the enemy in one charge.

Against most armies, you will be horribly outnumbered, considering ur playing at 2000 pts or 2300, especially VC. Get some more infantry blocks if possible, and get a salamander or stegadon ( they look cool too). Consider getting the slann too, they rock. the preists should stay at the back and cast supportive spells, hopefully uranon&#39;s thunderbolt ( i love that) or the comet ( I love that too&#33

If you dun want to buy more, then it&#39;s okay, should be quite playable, I just normally dun play with THAT many flanking units that;s all. But in the end, the choice is up to you. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread