Welcome to Librarium Online!
I know there's a painting section, but I think that since my questions concern fluff they're better of here.
1) Six of the blessed spawnings are discussed in the army book, but Quetzl isn't. Does Quetzl have a specific color or pattern associated with its sacred spawnings?
2) I'm planning on building a Quetzl Host, and want my Saurus to look the part. The GW-UK site mentions that Quetzl Saurus would be better armored and have bony ridges on their forearms. How would one go about doing that? I was looking at the Tyranid sprues for appropriate parts, but the best idea (Warrior sprues) only gives me a handful of usable bitz and is very expensive. I'd need like 6+ of those sprues just for one box of Saurus. Any ideas? I'm not good at all with greenstuff... Perhaps plasticard cut into arm-blades?
3) Ok, I lied, three questions. Great Weapons on Scar-Vets. How would one do this? I was thinking of taking a Kroxigor's weapon, cutting it off at the hilt, and drilling a hole up into the blade, and then pinning it to the hilt/arm of a Saurus... That, or pinning it to a Saurus standard bearer's pole (w/o standard, of course). How have you guys done it?
1) & 2) The only things that you can do are get some tyranid and perhaps dark elf/eldar sprues to steal the spiky bits off them. Then add them to your saurus models on the heads and arms. Because they haven't specified a colour, you can use whatever colour you want. Research some real life lizards and see if you can find some that are also spiky and armoured. See what colours they have and perhaps use that.
3) You can make a decent great weapon/halberd from a saurus hand weapon and a spare banner pole (much like you've already said), rather than wrecking an expensive Kroxigor model. I've done this sort of thing for some of my chaos models. Plus, the saurus weapons are plastic and will stick to the pole better than a weighty metal weapon (although pinning it is always a good idea).
"Peace, through superior firepower."
2) I'm fielding a sacred host of Quetzl and never minded to salvage my tyranid bits.
Simply use paint to highlight the scales of the LM somewhat more than usual.
The army book says that spans of Quetzl often have bony protrusions from their body. What you could do, is try to order extra temple guard heads and put them on your saurus. It seems like it would fit with the spawning perfectly.Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
i agree....that would look pretty bad (good bad...not bad bad). The saurus sprue actualyl comes with those shoulder palte things, i usually use them for champions and what not...but if you got enough you could make them into what you need.
I was presented today with a veteran player's bitz box (he's leaving the game). He plays Tyranids, Dark Eldar, and Kroot, among others. Those three armies are loaded down with spikey bitz. Quetzl, here I come!