Battalion Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battalion Question

How many points are in the Battalion and how much more do you need for a feildable force? I was thinking of getting into fantasy battle and think the lizardmen are interesting. What kinda Lord type thing would be best for me to get? You know kinda explain the lizard men to me. What does giving them clubs vs spears do?

Here is a super cheesey joke I hope you get: Why do the lizardmen like it in Strong Badia? Because the Ones are always Cold. Ha ha ha ha ha (Anyone who has not heard the Strong Badian nation anthem will not get this).

Last edited by Osaria; June 20th, 2005 at 13:13.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The battalion + a hero and possibly another unit of saurus 16 would be reasonable big already. i'm guessing the battalion is around.... 700 pts or so, so it should be fieldable.

You have a choice of skink priest or saurus scar vet OR skink chief WHICH i don't recommend in such a small point game. Unless you bu y MUCH more you won't be able to get the biggies... slann mage or old blood.

Skink priest
    reasonalbe spell power and cost. Luckily is in possesion of a very good lore: heavens and is usefull in many cases. Is weak and will drop like a fly against anyone able to blow at his face. (should protect) Arm with dispel scrolls in small game. Against elves i get blood statuette of spite and bane head sometimes (just for fun! :p )

Saurus scar vet
    A very good hero for his price and can probably stand up against most things thrown towards him (character wise ) at hero level and NOT at lord. can take up battle standard. Recommend to join regiment to add battle power. I arm mine with great weapon venom of the fire frog (depending)aura of quetzl and spwning of quetzl IF he's my general. Other wise i have other variations whcih i have no time to say now.

Skink chief
    Patheic at fighting for his cost, so dont' charge him in a chaos powered squad. I tend to arm him with the cloak for flapping power and to take down warmachines or the mages at a reasonalbe distance with blow pipe or whatever. He's in the role of an assasin. However, I find terradons more attractive for what they do ( they cost less too ! :lol: )

It's VERY late and i need to go to sleep now so i hope that helps If not i'll just add MORE!!

PS: read the tactica section if you'are stuck on things about yo ur troops and characters... they help alot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Welcome on the Temple Grounds Osaria.

You could reasonably get 800 points out of it. If you also buy a Scar-veteran (same model als Old Blood) and a Skink Priest, you'll have enough models for 1000 points.
    You could also opt to buy an additional box of Saurus, giving you 40 of them, so you can field 2 units of 20. But then you won't be able to field all Saurus Cavalry, probably only a minimal unit of them.

You won't need your general so much for Ld. That is, the Saurus don't, but the Skinks do. It's not needed (as it is for the Empire or Orks etc.) to choose the characters for Ld.
    But I'd recommend the Scar-veteran as general anyway. Because he's far more durable. The T2 of Skinks will fail against anything more threatening than a light breeze.
    But a Priest is also useful for both magic offense and defense.
    So my advise is, buy both a Scar-vet and a Priest. Field them both and if one of them doesn't suit you, you just drop him. There'll always be a time you use the model again.

The clubs (= hand weapons) are normal. If you want to give them spears for some additional cost, the second rank may also make 1 attack on turns the unit doesn't charge. Which is more than half the time. But it costs some extra points per model and it reduces the armour save in close combat.
    That's why I normally don't take spears, especially not in small battles.

I indeed haven't heard of Strong Badia before.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The entire group doesnt need to have spears do they? Or can I say put a frount line of hand weapons and a back of spears? I should be able to right.

About Strong Badia this is the national Anthem as sung by Strong Bad:

Come tooooo the place where the tropical breezes blow,
    Come tooooo the coolist place I know,
    The people are so great...but really theres only me...and that means I'm so great...and also theres The Cheat,

Ohhh theres The Cheeeeat in the place where the tropical breezes blow,
    The Cheeeeat in the coolist place I know,
    The ones are always cold and the parties last all night....and theres probly lots of chocolate and population tire,
    and populaaation Tiiiiire.....
    Last edited by Osaria; June 20th, 2005 at 23:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

The entire group doesnt need to have spears do they? Or can I say put a frount line of hand weapons and a back of spears? I should be able to right.
    No, you buy weapons for the entire regiment. All hand weapons or all spears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never normally get spears unless it is against a non shooty army. The saurus are already pricey and I don't wwant to increase it to nearly as much as a chaos warrior regiment with tooled up weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never go with spears, reason being that with a hand weapon and sheild I get an extra +2 armour save in close combat... since I run a Quetzl army, that goes up to a +3.

I value higher armour saves over extra attacks, that's the reason why 75% of my Skinks have Javelins and Shields instead of blowpipes... a Skink with a 4+ armour save in close combat, or a Skink with no armour save at all? No contest for me, but then, my army is Quetzl themed so everything is tailored to having high defensive capabilities.

Oldbloods with 0+ armour saves are fun

+ Reply to Thread