Librarium Online Forums banner

Benfits of a Red Host

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Wolf_Pack 
#1 ·
What are the benefits of using the Red Host, and can you only use Skinks??

#2 ·
No, you ARE allowd Saurus in a Red Host. They're still Core, and are identical to standard Saurus.

The differences in the list: you have Lesser Swarms, the Engine of the Gods, and most importantly, you can take Red Crested Skink units. All the other stuff, like Kroxies, Salamanders, etc, are all there - but no Slann/Temple Guard, ever.

Red Crested Skinks are slightly-improved Skinks, who also have the Spawning of Sotek and the "Red Crested" special rule (makes them resistant to Skaven disease, immune to poison, and can move in jungle terrain without penalry). They're also in regiments, not skirmishing like normal Skinks. Personally, I don't think they're worth their increased cost and are only really handy when fighting a Pestilens Skaven list.

You're also required to take the special character Tehenhauin, a Skink prophet. He's a decent wizard and a decent fighter, but doesn't excel at either.

The Engine of the Gods is the only real redeeming quality in my eyes: it's basically magical artillery mounted on a Stegadon-like dinosaur. Too bad it's only allowed in Red Host lists.

#5 ·
After reading the Lustria book at my local GW I too dont think there is much point in collecting them, I was having trouble deciding wether to get Lizardmen or Wood Elves but I think I will collect Wood Elves as this gives me time to finish my 3000 points Khorne army :). Thanks people.

#6 ·
I think there is a point to gather an army of them, mainly for flavor. skink heroes are allowed 75 pts worth of items, wich is very neat, and a skink BSB cost significantly less than it's saurus equivalent.

Fielding lesser swarms and jungle swarms can be a great tactical advantage, multiple unbreakable units make a big difference. Using the lore of beasts is much harder and challengeful than the way beyond broken lore of heavens, but does have it's great spells for the army, like lupen the wolf hunts and the bear's anger, wich can throw your opponent off balance with sufficient planning.

#7 ·
I think it's a fun alternative to standard LM play, same as the Southlands list. If you collected a vanilla LM list, and had a lot of skinks in it, you could just swap it around and play either of the other lists without any real alterations (although you'd need Tehenhuain for the Red Host). But I wouldn't use it as my main list.

#9 ·
According the the Lustria book, you *must* take the special character to field a Red Host. And yes, he's a Lord. Which, according to the book, means that you cannot play a Red Host in games under 2000pts. Makes no sense to me, but hey...

98% of players will allow you to field a <2k Red Host without that character as a result of that odd ruling - I know I would. And it seems that most players, at least in friendly games, will allow us to play Red Host lists without the character at all, regardless of army size.

#10 ·
In a Lustria setting it would really work. Red Crested Skinks would be the only unit in the game to move at full speed through the jungle and still have a rank bonus of 3. As Beast Herds only have 1 or 2 and Eternal Guard are not likely to rank up full.
With a basic CR of 4, and thanks to M6 you 1) are not likely to be outmanoeuvered and flanked 2) will most probably get the charge, thus getting A2 per model, you'll win most fights. They rock.
Especially when supported by normal Skinks and maybe some Swarms to tie the enemy up. If you'll also include 1 or 2 Saurus blocks for fights in the open, supported by a small unit of Kroxigor and a unit of Salamanders, you'll have a very fine army. A JSoD will pay of too.

Tai'shar

#12 ·
So in a 1500pt game, what would a decent red host force contain? Would say 2 or 3 blocks of red crested skinks backed up by kroxigors, normal skinks with pipes, and maybe a machine of the gods be a good choice?

Not really had time to look over the lustria book fully to see all the rules and force chart for the red host army.

If it turns out that the red host is pretty good i might give them a go :)

#13 ·
I'd say it depends on the amount of terrain and encounter points you use. If the board isn't half filled with terrrain and/or you do use an excessive amount of encounter points, I recommend 1 unit of Saurus. To fight on the open ground.
Scouting Skinks with blowpipes are worth gold, as there's plenty of terrain to hide them in near to the enemy. Blast away!

Tai'shar

#14 ·
I would use red crests with the skaven pelt, 3 attacks each on the charge isn't something to laugh at really.

you also always get the charge on infantry this is a big advantageto set up a a flank without worrying too much.

The Lesser Swarms swarms look terrible on paper, but they are a bargain really for the bases size and cost, you get the same amount of attacks as a jungle swarm for cheaper!

#16 ·
Jungle Swarms vs Lesser Swarms

Jungle Swarms:
Minimum unit of 1 base = 5 wounds, 5 attacks, 60 points
Maximum unit of 6 bases = 30 wounds, 30 attacks, 360 points (although you're probably only going to get 4 into btb contact)

Lesser Swarms:
Minimum unit of 5 bases = 15 wounds, 15 attacks, 175 points
Maximum unit of 10 bases = 30 wounds, 30 attacks, 350 points (although you're probably only going to get 6 or 7 into btb contact)

I would say that Lesser Swarms are better. for 10 points more (2 bases vs 1 base) you get an extra attack and an extra wound, and more can get into btb contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.