Scar Veteran and Oldblood Builds. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scar Veteran and Oldblood Builds.

I was just wondering what your saurus heroes weapons, steeds, magic items, etc are. Currently I have no idea what to give my scar vets or oldbloods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

My small list has:
    -Scar-Veteran (Quetzl/Tepok, GW, LA/Shield, Venom of Firefly Frog)
    It's a 1000-1500 list, so he's my only Saurus character. I stick him in a 19-block of Quetzl Saurus and use him as my cobat anchor.

The (much) larger list I'm working on putting together uses these three:
    -Oldblood (General, Quetzl/Tepok/Tzunki, LA/shield, Blade of Revered Tzunki, Glyph Necklace)
    -Oldblood (Quetzl/Tepok/Tzunki, LA/shield, Scimitar of the Sun Respendent, Aura of Quetzl)
    -Scar-Veteran (Quetzl/Tepok, GW, LA/Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior)
    Each Oldblood gets his own unit of 19 Quetzl Saurus, and the Scar Vet gets one as well - but he leaves it to hunt chariots/war machines/wizards once he's closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

My 4 favourite combo's. The things between brackets are optional.

- Scar-vet w/ gw, la, shield, Charm ot Jaguar Warrior, (Sotek/Tepok), Aura of Quetzl: my favourite general, typical JSoD.
    - Scar-vet w/ gw/Sword ot Hornet, la, shield, (Quetzl/Tepok): inside Saurus unit, functioning as an anchor.
    - Scar-vet w/ (Sword ot Hornet), la, Quetzl, (Tepok), BSB: inside Saurus unit, the BSB.
    - Oldblood w/ Scimitar ot Sun Resp., la, shield, Charm ot Jaguar Warrior, Sotek, Quetzl, (Tepok), Aura of Quetzl: big bad JSoD.

If I've got a few points left, I like to consider a Bane Head for a JSoD. Scares opponents to death.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my favourite Scar Veteran:

lt. armour
    shield
    Quetzl
    Sotek
    Charm of Jaguar warrior
    Sword of the hornet

So I use him to surprise enemies by bouncing him out of his unit, charging far in excess of normal and splintering important enemies before they can hit back at him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to admit that my most used, by far, piece of equipment on my saurus characters is the jaguar charm. That M9 is really what lizardmen need. Usually combined with a great weapon to be able to smash chariots and sacred spawning of Quetzl for that +1AS.

A really nasty upgrade is to equip an oldblood with the same and then add the tzunki blade. Bye-bye AS elven/bretonnian kniggits! Works wonders against chaos as well. It once chopped down some two or three regiments all by its own, winning combat due to kills and then running over them. That's chaos warriors we're talking about here, not skaven slaves....

Sacred spawning of Itzl and a cold one is another option for your scar-vet. Gives a really good AS and causes fear, the extra attack isn't worth much. M7 will get you where you want to go in a resonable amount of time and allow you to charge from quite a bit far away. Especially if you have a slann or Huanchi-priest with lore of shadows. An oldblood on a cold one isn't as effective as on a carnosaur, or on its two feet. The jaguar charm is a better option than a cold one for oldblood IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

The Sword of the Hornet is useless combined with the Charm, as you will always charge. So you go first anyway. Only exception being Wardancers (and maybe some Slaanesh deamon?).

And IMO the Blade of Tzunki is a great pointsink when combined with either the Charm of a Carnosaur/Cold One. As it's main strength is ignoring armour saves. Guess what? With a gw, Elven/Bret knights only have a 6+ As and Empire knights only have a 5+. For a cost difference of 59 pts. That's 1 extra Skink unit.
    The only use is inside Saurus blocks. Because then it isn't certain you charge, and with a gw you'll hit last. With the Blade of Tzunki you won't. But then, if you're charged by knights, it's only half effective. You will kill a lot of them, thus probably winning combat, but they will have done their damage because they strike first.

My opinion about available weapons:

- Blade of Revered Tzunki
    Only use in blocks of infantry, though it stays a point sink.

- Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent
    Extra attacks are always welcome.

- Piranha Blade
    Normally useless. Except in a number of situations:
    * Against Ogre Kingdoms.;
    * When facing a challenge-heavy army like Brets or BD Vampires;
    * When facing dragons.

- The Blade of Realities
    Very usefull when facing a Deamonic Legion. Which has, with the new rules, become quite likely.

- Sword of the Hornet
    Quite usefull when inside a Saurus block. Otherwise completely useless.

- Burning Blade of Chotec
    Because the Saurus heroes have S5, they'll wound nigh every opponent on 2s or 3s. So to wound extra Strength isn't needed. Against knights we can use extra armour modifiers. The gw delivers 2 for 4/6 pts. The Sword of Might delivers 1 for 20 pts. This weapon delivers 2 for 25 pts. So it is debatable that this item is usefull when encountering a knight-heavy army. Given you're in a Saurus block. Because if the other situations, you'll charge, so you can as well take a gw, which only negative will be negated.
    In addition, it's flammable attacks could be usefull against WE and TK.

- Sword of Striking
    Too expensive for what it does. And WS5/6 is sufficient against enemy troops.

- Sword of Battle
    Poor lizard's Scimitar. If you can't afford a Scimitar, just go for another weapon. Or take the Spawning of Sotek and a gw. More effect, less pts.

- Sword of Might
    We haven't got need for extra Strength. Choos instead either the Burning Blade or a gw.

- Biting Blade
    Poor lizard's Burning Blade. 1 modifier is nothing. If you want to do it, do it good and get the Burning Blade or a gw. No half work here.

- great weapon
    Ah, cheap, strong and it never lets you down. The only downside is hitting last, which is effectively negated when you mount a Cold One/Carnosaur or get the Charm: you're almost certain to charge.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i agree, its got to be the GW. you do have to break them early though, otherwise youre taking hits without a shield! 3/4+ armour save

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

I always give a JSoD the Aura of Quetzl. The ward save is very much needed to keep him alive and well. Especially if he's the general, representing myself on the field.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

What is a good idea to give your carnosaur lord? I was thinking about the revered spear of Tzunki but I don't see the point, an oldblood is already strength 5 and with it he is strength 6 so he is already decent at cracking armour, wouldn't a great weapon be the better option for strength 7 attacks aren't that bad for cracking armor. Anyways... Apart from that, what other items are a good idea to give him? A ward save? what blessings should a carnie lord have? I have always been clueless on how to equipt lords on monstrous mounts.

EDIT: umm.. Also, for the jaguar saurus of death (nike shoes) apart from the jaguar thing and a great weapon, what else is a good idea too give him if you wanted to waste all your points on magic items?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

This is my opinion about the Blade of the Revered Tzunki.
    And IMO the Blade of Tzunki is a great pointsink when combined with either the Charm or a Carnosaur/Cold One. As it's main strength is ignoring armour saves. Guess what? With a gw, Elven/Bret knights only have a 6+ As and Empire knights only have a 5+. For a cost difference of 59 pts. That's 1 extra Skink unit.
    The only use is inside Saurus blocks. Because then it isn't certain you charge, and with a gw you'll hit last. With the Blade of Tzunki you won't. But then, if you're charged by knights, it's only half effective. You will kill a lot of them, thus probably winning combat, but they will have done their damage because they strike first.
    A very good item for Saurus heroes on Nikes/Carnosaur/Cold Ones is the Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent. Together with other items you can give the Oldblood as many as 9 WS6 S5 attacks. That will carve through most units. If you set him on a Carnosaur he will carve through almost anything. You want herohammer? Here you've got it.
    Further items... a Ward save of course. I prefer the Aura of Quetzl, but you could also use the Glyph Necklace. Maybe the Spawning of Quetzl? Or the Spawning of Chotec if you want to make sure you kill enemies off? Things that give extra attacks: the Maiming Shield and the Spawning of Sotek are exceptional too. Maybe the Spawning of Tepok for extra dispel power. There are other niceties like the Dragonfly of Quicksilver, if you want extra control for your scouts. Or the Bane Head, for if you know you're gonna face another very strong fighting character (i.e. Orc Warbosses, Chaos Lords, Greater Deamons etc). You'll scare the living daylights out of him.

On all other weapons, I posted a summary a few posts back.

Tai'shar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast