Kroxigors vs. SCOR vs. Sallamanders vs. Stegadon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kroxigors vs. SCOR vs. Sallamanders vs. Stegadon

if you had 200-250ish points extra what hard hitting unit would you take. whenever i make a list i always am torn between krox, SCOR, and sallies. i have never really tried the steggy. it looks fun and destructive, not to mention scary (literally). im thinking of trying it sometime.

what is your favorite(s) to take when you got some points left. pls assume you have the points for any of the choices. although pls take into consideration point cost in reasoning why said unit is your favorite.(three krox is much cheaper than a steggy and theirs no getting around that )

When you combine Speed and Power you get Lightning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kroxigors: Tin Can Openers (anti armour), fear causers, chariot crashers.
    SCOR: Anti vulnerable units, good fear, fast(ish).
    Steg: Vulnerable to any army with bthrower or cannon, impact hits, bolt thrower is useless.
    Sallies: Hold flanks, annihilates lightly armoured rank and file soldiers.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you have in your list and who you regularly face against. I personally like kroxigors and sallies the most, and dislike stegadons a lot and could care less about SCOR. Just my opinion tho, some people love SCOR, but not many care too much about stegadons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

In my very large games of like 5.5k points I have a unit of saurus cold one cavalry with my carnosaur lord.....

But I still favor salamanders the most, they just kill so much.....
    Kroxigors are my other choice cos they break things.....
    I am also in favor of the stegadon cos it also breaks things.......

Salamanders are the best........ I killed so many elves with them.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Kroxigors if you don't already have a unit. Armor breaking is essential against most armies, but I usually dont take more than one unit because kroxigors aren't very versitile. When compared to SCOR, the kroxigors aren't nearly as good at slugging it out with rank-and-file infantry (lower amount of US and attacks). Salamanders are real killers, but they can only really do damage to rank-and-file as a group of 3. Stegadons are sort of a heavy chariot, and can't quite take out blocks on its own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by nbp71
    I take Kroxigors if you don't already have a unit. Armor breaking is essential against most armies, but I usually dont take more than one unit because kroxigors aren't very versitile. When compared to SCOR, the kroxigors aren't nearly as good at slugging it out with rank-and-file infantry (lower amount of US and attacks). Salamanders are real killers, but they can only really do damage to rank-and-file as a group of 3. Stegadons are sort of a heavy chariot, and can't quite take out blocks on its own.
    I don't think thats quite correct, I've had my stegadon trample whole blocks on its own. and I beleive that kroxigors CAN be just as useful and versatile as cold one riders, for starters the kroxigors are always at their ful potential but if the cold on riders didn't charge, their at 1 less strength, similarly, if a unit of kroxigors takes 2 wounds, they lose no attacks but if a cold one rider unit takes 2 wounds they lose 6 attacks. Cold one riders are very useful if their in the right place at the right time which they usually are but don't rule out kroxigors for taking on rank and file units but only if worst comes to worst.

All this aside, I still think salamanders are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would probably go with some kroxigors or some sallies before COR or a steggie, but any of them would work just fine.
    FEAR THE WRATH OF THE ANZAC CLAN!!!!!!!

head of hip-hop in the music clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on what else you already have in your army

one good unit of CoR is enough for any size game, but is a fairly essential part in my opinion.
    Kroxigors are always nice, but if your worried about enemies using screens then i owuldnt take them
    salamanders can dish it out to swarms and light units, but dont count on getting anything when you fight enemies t5 or above.
    The stegadon is useful for flanking with saurus and also for attack at the same time as CoR, but as a seperate unit, the terror is nice, and the impact hits at s5 are very nice; this is a stratagy that should not be overlooked, just so long as you can get rid of all those stupid war machines.

shooty armies just plain die against salamanders; they have good toughness for ranged attacks, are skirmishers, and can get nice and close to the enemy quickly. then the enemy ranks simply scatter as you drop 15 hits into their ranks from a group of 3 sallies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with tojo in that sallies are awesome agianst anything with low a low save and low toughness, but i dont agree with you on using COR in small games. they are very expensive, with 5 of them costing 225pts with full command. in say a 1k game this is one quarter of your points, and if they fail their stupidity test, that a large part of your army which is useless for one turn, and this is enough to cost you the game on small scale games. i would leave for 1.5k and more. they are great but are pretty pricey and you should never rely on them to win games because they will not always pay off for you. they should be your big hitters but not your game winners.

stegadons are also good but again, you should leave them at home for anything smaller than 1.5k.
    FEAR THE WRATH OF THE ANZAC CLAN!!!!!!!

head of hip-hop in the music clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

If I get 5 CoR, I don't field them with command at all, or only with a musician.
    Champion: on 10 Saurus and 5 CO attacks, that extra attack doesn't matter alot. Unless you field a character in the unit.
    Standard: CoR hit so hard, they win combat easily without. And if the 5 CoR die, that 1 lost standard. I'd only take it in a large unit or when I want to use a magical banner.
    The musician is good, but not essential.
    Without the unit only costs 175 pts, with the musician 185. Not too expensive, affordable in 1k.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread