defense tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: defense tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defense tactics

Can lizardmen play defense? if so, any ideas how? Also, any ideas on how to beat a defense/magic HE army?

"It's Angry Monkey!"
    ( >< )
    \ oo /
    \ -- /

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Of course Lizardmen can play defensive. Just look through the army list forum, about every magic heavy list plays defensive.
    And Saurus heavy lists also can play defensive, if facing an offensive opponent.

How to defeat magic heavy lists? Several pointers:
    - Be better in the magic phase. Though nigh impossible.
    - Cancel the magic phase: lots of DD and scrolls, items that end the magic phase are also usefull.
    - Overwhelm them.
    - Don't even try shooting on the Slann, he probably is protected by a 2+ Ward save against shooting.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play dwarves
    i didnt do it it was him 'onest boss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they can only really play defense effectively after 2k, when they get slanns, because no long range shooting and no overpowering magic (under 2k, when only skinks are available as wizards) means that going on the defense will just get you killed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

That depends Salamander. If you face very aggressive opponents like Orks or Chaos etc, a Saurus heavy army can play defensive. Let them come to you, while you harass them with your Skinks.
    And against cavalry armies, you'll be on the defense automatically...

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know, i find that you can play succesfully aggro against a cav army quite easily. but i guess it depends on your idea of aggro. against a VC player whom i play alot and has black knights for alot of his army, i harrass with terradons and skinks, and then i bait and switch. if thats what u consider defensive, then i guess i agree, but it seems pretty aggro to me, since i also play dwarfs, and ther are really defensive.

i guess against chaos you sorta do have to play defensive tho. However, i think against high elves (like i think artemisfouled was saying, but im not sure) u have to attack them. if they go magic, then they prob have archers too, and you need aggro skinks and terradons to kill them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

With cavalry I meant an all cavalry army, or almost all cavalry. Then your Saurus at least will have a purely defensive role. As the enemy will have the initiative due to vastly superior mobility.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not if you go for nothing but skinks and cavalry then you will be on even and possibly better footing manouverability wise
    i didnt do it it was him 'onest boss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is hope!

while some reviewers tend to get off topic, this is straight to the point. Search warhammer lizardmen 6th edition! and there will be an alleged preview of the new army book coming out soon. Salamanders shoot 24 inches and act as a strength 4 stone thrower no armor save. This is extremely helpful against all 3+, 2+ elite troops. Though it hits on a five plus, four plus if within 12 inches. Skinks for 5 points! have a short bow, and a 6+ save. The normal saurus have a 5+ save helping them take a strong charge, if you give them quetzl, they already have shields.

Here's my listnote it uses the rules from the site listed above, these aren't official, but if you get annoyed of your friend beating you all the time, use this.)

Characters:
    530, 1 slann lord, plaq of dominion

130, 2 skink preists (wah! they can't upgrade to level two!)

Core:
    220, 44 skinks with short bows (two units of 15 one of 14)

100, 2 serpent swarm (they don't move as fast as lizard swarm, but they have poison! more useful on defensive.)

Special:
    4 salamander packs (this takes up all special unit choices so I had to make the saurus have two spawnings and be a rare.)

Rare:
    700, 40 saurus warriors, 40 divided into two units, both have: standard, spawning of quetzl, spears, spawning of tepok.

notes:

1.) short bows give the army a bit more range, so I decided to try this.

2.) salamanders are practically war machines, with 24" they can take out all the armored units. And leave your saurus to conquer.

3.) serpent swarms are great for flank, they have a unit strength 5 each.

4.) I considered all area's of defense. Added up this army gets 10 dispel dice a turn, with the plaq of dominion. (also part of the preview rules.

5.) I would make a two layered half hill.(two hills stacked on top of each other and cut in half so you can put it at the edge of the gaming table.) Put it on your side, and put salamanders on top, skinks on the second row, and saraus down in front of the hill. If your cheap make short hedges or walls on the hills to give a minus one to shooting at you salamanders and skinks.

I think this is pretty much invincible, aside from wood elves with their high, high, ballistic skill. Please respond to this post, it took forever to type and I want an opinion. (read the preview first.)
    Taste the rainbow!
    (Plz don't sue)

+ Reply to Thread