Librarium Online Forums banner

Is the Red Host a worth while list?

624 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tojo 
#1 ·
I am curious on starting a Lizardman army. And notice the Red Host list in Lustria book. Is this list a decent (I say decent because any list can be good) army?

Is the Engine of the Gods a cost effetive Rare choice?

Is this a good list to start with for a beginner to Lizardmen (not a beginner to fantasy just lizardmen)?

#2 ·
The Red Host is as good an army as any other, in my opinion. It's a slightly different list as far as Lizzies go due to:

1. Skinks that don't suck in combat (Red Crests). This also gives Lizardmen rather normal rank-and-file infantry as opposed to the rather elite Saurus Warriors.

2. Lesser Swarms mean cheap holding ability.

3. A minimum of three levels of magic at 2k, the lack of a Level 4 Wizard and Lore of Beasts for normal Skink Priests mean a player must take a different approach to magic with the Red Host. You'll still likely get off many spells - just not due to the Slann's extra dice, but due to the Beast Lore's low casting costs.

Can't say much about the EotG, as a dinosaur-mounted Stone Thrower isn't the most common unit available... But from what I've heard, many play Red Host just for this thing :D

#3 ·
actually, unless I am mistaken, the southlands can take two skink heros instead of one lord choice. so if you maxed out priests at level two you could have a LOT of power dice, which just plain means a lot of spells.

my personal opinion is that the southlands is basically a way to take an all skink army without being cheap. because an all skink regular list is actually more power ful. put your independant character slann in the middle of your troops so that they don't run away, deploy in a checker board formation, and when the enemy charges flee to the open spot. then just blow gun them to death. cheap cheap cheap army that nobody would want to play with or against htough, which is why they made southlands to mix it up.

southlands are really FUN too. I haven't had a chance to field them, but I always like situations where it comes down to your skinks against their rock-hard infantry.

#4 ·
Southlands and Red Host are different. We are talking about the Red Host of Tehenhauin found in Warhammer Realms: Lustria, not the Southlands Army found in Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen.

But, speaking of double Skinks. Red Host can't take two Skinks for a single Lord choice. What they CAN do, is take two Skink Chiefs with an increased magic item allowance as a single HERO choice. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.