Thinking about thinking of starting. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about thinking of starting.

I was thinking of starting the army and was wondering if the Battalion box and the Starter set was a good buy at the same time.

Thanks.

I once was dark, now im light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I recall that the Starter set is essentially a Batallion with a book, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, with a Batallion/Starter Set, an additional character and an additional unit, like some Terradons, you'll have a nice 1000 pts army. With only the Batallion/Starter Set and a character alone (or using a normal model as character) you will be able to configure a number of different playing 750 pts armies.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battalion Box is a solid place to start, as that is where I first started anyway.

It includes:
    24 saurus

24 skinks

8 saurus cavalry

If I were you, I would get another box of saurus and a hero and there's a nice 1000 point army list. I would recommend the JSOD.

To expand, you CAN get another box of skinks (a solid choice, but rather boring in my opinion)

Get a skink priest. THese are compulsory, you will need them.

I then bought 3 salamander hunting packs. My regular opponent decided to start wood elves the same time I started lizardmen. That would show him! Hhaahahaha burn little woodies burn!!!!!! ehem back to the subject.

JSOD is important to take out strong forest spirits (wood elves case) like treeman. I equiped him with venom of teh firefly frog, and blessed spwning of sotek for more dmg, and he packs quite a punch. (he destroyed the treeman last game).

Terradons (mentioned above) are extremely useful. They can harass anything relatively well, and destroy stray characters (don't try the ones that can fight back!) [note: get wizards] .

Here I assume you have never ever played warhammer fantasy

and yes... errr the battallion is an okay buy. But I wouldn't suggest it if you could find out alternatives.. EBAY for instance, much cheaper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will not order from ebay, I got ripped once. I have played a WHFB before, I kinnda collected some VC. Basically the starter set is a regiment of Saurus, but it comes with the army book... So I got most of the essentials covered. What does JSOD stand for? something skink of death? Jaguar? (I kinnda know what im talking about :shifty: )

Thanks.

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    Thanks, I will not order from ebay, I got ripped once. I have played a WHFB before, I kinnda collected some VC. Basically the starter set is a regiment of Saurus, but it comes with the army book... So I got most of the essentials covered. What does JSOD stand for? something skink of death? Jaguar? (I kinnda know what im talking about :shifty: )

Thanks.
    JSOD stands for jaguar saurus of death. It is basically a suarus hero with a jaguar charm giving it M9. Then u ive him a couple spawnings and a great weapon. Giving you alot of S7 WS 5/6 attacks in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

A JSoD is a very versatile character. In essence he's another hard-hitting unit. He won't take away all rank bonusses if you use him for a flankcharge, but he's sure to rip the heart out of the enemy (both generating CR and usually taking away a rank bonus).

About the extra box of Saurus to make a 1k army, you could do it if you want to focus on Saurus. With the batallion itself you can make 2 small units of 12 or a bigger (in 1k and smaller I'd suggest 15). So instead of a box of Saurus you could also opt for more hardhitters (Krox, CoR or a Stegadon), Terradons, Salamanders or Skinks if you really like them.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll put it all into consideration. Sorry I could not reply sooner, for some reason, at my Dads house when I go to the site, it says I am forbidden to enter. My server cannot access it or something... IDK, but at least I can still get on at my Moms house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

I had the same problem yesterday morning. Apparently the admins were busy on the site. As you see, it has a new look.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would definatly reccomend the terradons to add to the starting force. they are versitile, and do well against almost any opponent, and spectacularly against some.

as for the needing a skink priest thing, i strongly disagree. I find that in battles of 1000 points or less you need to go all out magic, or go with none. Since we play lizardmen we are blessed by the old ones with choice. either go JSoD or take two skink priests, either both lvl 2 or one lvl 2 and one lvl 1. However dont go in the middle with a scroll caddy, they are only useful when you have a slann on the board, and otherwise will be a waste of points.

Quote Originally Posted by THE.
    I equiped him with venom of teh firefly frog, and blessed spwning of sotek for more dmg, and he packs quite a punch. (he destroyed the treeman last game).
    lastly i know this is a long ago quote, but you cant have a JSoD with the firefly frog thing, because they are both the same type of magic item, just like you cant have two magic weapons.

+ Reply to Thread