Slann or Multiple Skink Priests? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slann or Multiple Skink Priests?

I am new to fantasy, I play 40k, and I recently started Lizardmen. While constructing my list I came to thinking, in a magic heavy army, what is generally more effective, a Slann Mage Priest or multiple Skink Priests? I was thinking, for 2000+ which I'll be playing, a Scar Vet as my general and 3 Skink Priests. I thought about taking a Slann, I mean they can be the baddest mages in the game apparently but after you give them a Battle Standard and a few intelligent upgrades he's itching on 400 points....I could have 3 Priests and a loaded Scar Vet for that. I read a tactica that a Slann supported by a few Priests is also an option for dominatiing the magic phase, but I'm a fantasy noob so fill me in, what's the best magic set up for 2000+?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I don't think one way is better than another. Its all just personal preference i would say.

I go for 3 skink priests personally, all at level two. These guys make for a pretty good setup against most armies. They give you 6 power dice and 6 spells from the lore of heavens, which is a really good lore as four of the six spells in it don't require a line of sight. This gives you a very good chance of rolling one of the two thunderbolt spells, which i find are great for taking out enemy mages and war machine crew.

Give a couple of them a dispel scroll and you're looking at a good magic phase, with plenty of options.

In 2k points i choose an oldblood as my other character, and stick him on a cold one with a unit of saurus cavalry.

Of course the slann is a legendary mage throughout the game, so this is just the setup that i prefer. Maybe some others can tell you how they like to play the slann but i don't really play him much.

ciao

stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i think you should take the slann. A slann on his own with no skink priests given the right equipment can potentially give you 15 power dice. He is also much more resilient to enemy attcaks then skinks. If you take a 2nd gen slann and a skink priest in a 2000 point game you are almost gaurented to dominate the magic phase.
    Eh Dave, saurus only have two attacks, not 27.
    WHAT? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Sorry dude i must've misread ur original post. If you're looking to make a magic heavy army then i reckon the slann is the way to go. Although i have no idea how to use him as i never play him myself

Ciao

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quatzemelan
    A slann on his own with no skink priests given the right equipment can potentially give you 15 power dice.
    How does one Slann with no priests give you 15 Power Dice?
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shall try to see how many it can give in total (including basic here...):
    2 basic
    4 for lvl 4 mage
    1 extra power and dispel due to item
    That is 7 dice, all with +1 to cast, now assume you use 6 of the dice to cast 3 spells using 2 dice each and that last dice for one other spell. Now add your free dice to each spell and that gives you 11 power dice in total used. Then, if you have the diadem of power and have conserved 2 dice from your dispel phase, use those 2 and another free dice and that is effectively an extra 3 dice. That totals 14 power dice. Also, if you would like to cast more spells using 2 dice rather than 3 (including the free dice) then you can get even more dice. For example, in the initial 7 dice, if you used 4 of the dice to cast 2 spells at 3 dice each (including free dice this time) and the other 3 to cast spells using 2 dice each (again including the free dice) then that totals 12 dice. Add onto that the diadem of power (assuming you saved 2 from dispel phase) and use the 2 dice to cast 2 spells (adding free die to each spell) which effectively give you an extra 2 dice on top of the 2 from the diadem, totaling 16 power dice.
    You see? It does work, but you need to conserve dice with Diadem of Power, and if you want to cast a spell using 3 dice, don't use 3 and 1 extra, use 2 and one extra free die.
    I hope that made sense....makes sense to me at least. If it doesn't then someone else can explain! :w00t:
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay basically:
    2 dice for showing up
    4 dice for a level 4 mage
    1 dice from plaque
    6 dice if the slann casts all his spells
    2 dice from the diadem of power.
    I think that makes 15, if i'm wrong someone please correct me.
    Eh Dave, saurus only have two attacks, not 27.
    WHAT? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually run an Oldblood on carnosaur with 2 skink priests. Sometimes I'll run an Oldblood and Scar Vet on cold ones along with 2 skink priests. I usually don't run a Slann until we're playing over the 2k range.

The big reason for this is because I'm just so freakin' happy to be able to use something besides a Slann for a general after all those years of no choice whatsoever from the previous editions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quatzemelan
    Okay basically:
    2 dice for showing up
    4 dice for a level 4 mage
    1 dice from plaque
    6 dice if the slann casts all his spells
    2 dice from the diadem of power.
    I think that makes 15, if i'm wrong someone please correct me.
    you get six more by replacing diadem with 4 power stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Then you can't take any plaques.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ