Brets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brets

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Brets

Hey guys,

I'm going to play against a brettonian army soon and i've never actually played against one before. I'm not really sure what to expect.

If anyone out there has any experience in playing these guys a little heads up on what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ciao

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...Brets....never played them before, so I shall have to guess here
    Ok...skinks. Yes, I know they have ridiulusly high armour saves, but I would recommend using them to flee from charges so you get the charge on the brets! They rely on the charge, so try to charge them (I know it is hard with such high saves, but skinks should be good at redirecting the charges). Also, never forget KROXIGORS! They will rip through their save. Also, a JSoD would be good. He will likely get the charge, and with a Great Weapon and the BS of Sotek, that is 5 S7 attacks on the charge...enough to kill a few knights I would imagine! Also, salamanders should be helpful. They only reduce their save by 1, but with a potentially large amount of hits and wounding on 4's, their 3+ saves can't stop everything (remember -1 to save). Terradons should help too, for march blocking, as well as scouting skinks, just to ensure charges). Saurus cavalry should be good too, with also S5 on the charge, but 2 attacks each and S4 mounts, they will like outclass most of their knights. Saurus can MAYBE take a charge from some knights, but try not to get them charged unless it could or will prove advantageous (obviously lol).
    As for magic, I believe Brets are not particularly great for magic, but I'm not sure...Also, check the Brets forum section for the "Playing against Bretonnia" section for more/better advice! Hope I helped!
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I checked the bret forum and there wasn't really a great deal there. But they did mention unbreakable units being a pain for brets, which is great as i was planning on taking a few jungle swarm bases.

The trouble with fleeing skinks is that they have a tendancy to keep on fleeing(Y), but i've heard ppl talk about brets not liking a failed charge so i think i'll look into that.

Ciao,

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there is a reasonable chance of skinks rallying (I think Cold-Blooded Ld 5 is the equivalent of Ld 7). The only thing to watch out for is if there are any units of a US less than that of the fleeing unit behind them, as the skinks fleeing from the charge may cause one of your other units to panic and flee too. The thing is, a unit of 10 skinks is only 60pts....if them fleeing (and maybe even running off the board) results in a flank charge or the destruction of a unit of knights, then the skinks will have more than made up for their points cost.
    As for swarms...I have never used them before, but I can only imagine they will be helpful against units that rely on breaking on the charge....such as Brets! Good luck with the game anywho :yes:
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't EVER rely on your saurus holding up against a bretonian charge. My friend charged my unit of 16 saurus with a scar-vet(can't remember if i had a standard or not), anyway skipping all dice rolling we stopped counting CR when we got to 13(not posisitve but i know it was over for him. He targeted my scar-vet with enough attacks to kill him and killed the whole front rant. I was done. My kroxigors would have flanked them but they were charged by pegasis knights.

Kroxigors are awesome against knights, if you keep a unit close enough to your saurus so you can get a flank charge off he he charges you whether you break or not, he probavly wouldn't charge. Use that to your advantage and try and flank him with another fast unit. I can't stress enough to get the charge off. A flank charge with kroxigors will destroy knights: no rank bonus, no +2S from lances, no extra attacks from lance formation(i think), high strength kills armor save, therefore it ends in dead knights.

Magic would also be pretty usefull especially if you get the spell that doesn't allow armor saves in heavens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Take a magical aproach to them. The lore of heaven as a few tricks up it's sleeve against bretonians, remarkably a D6 S4 hits with no armour saves, and the ever enjoying comet.

Use cameleon skinks or terradon to march black arrase head on. This will make is manouvering very stiff, and disallow him from moving past you without charging.

Don't hope too much much out of fleeing with skinks. Brets charge 16'' inches, and if they get to you with thier charge range (after the 2D6 flee) they move their full mouvement value, catch your skinks and can end up past your line of sight.

2 Jungle swarms is a must.

Watch out on relying on high strength, knights get the everlasting blessing of the lady, wich can ruin your day in combat and shooting.

I use the Red Host Of Sotek armylist with great success against bretonians, you might want to look at it, since half the army is unbreakable ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    Don't hope too much much out of fleeing with skinks. Brets charge 16'' inches, and if they get to you with thier charge range (after the 2D6 flee) they move their full mouvement value, catch your skinks and can end up past your line of sight.
    You should already be prepared for this with your flanking unit. It should be set up in such a way to have LOS and be in charge distance when the brets move they're movement value forward. Here's a crappy atempt at a diagram:

S=skink
    K=Kroxigor(or any flanking unit)
    B=Bret knight

BBB
    BBB
    BBB
    BBB

S S S S S
    S S S S S

Something like that and not really to scale. I'm playing some warhammer tonight and will take a pictue with my digi cam of the situation if you like.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Thanks for all the replies guys

I've been talking to another friend of mine who is a bret player and he agrees that with brets its all about the charge. A brettonian charge is devastating and my main concern is that if he charges a unit of saurus he could quite easily take the entire unit down in a single round of combat

I wanted to use my Sacred host of Quetzl army against it as i've never used it before, but that means i cant use the lore of the heavens:cry:

This red host of sotek army sounds interesting as i love unbreakable units, could someone please tell me where i can find the rules for it?

Once again thanks very much (Evan8433 i think i get what you're saying but a pic would be bril! thanks)

Ciao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the bret play that evan8433 was refering to and i have lots of experiencing losing so i'll give some tips.

Unbreakable is good, but unbreakable units are often low armour or weak etc. (slayers, undead) so a good rock hard unit will hold down bretonnian charge (i have a had LOTS of trouble with ironbreakers) or a unit with LOTS of phantom combat res. If you are flanked by Brets you WILL LOSE.

Really high strength attacks will help to negate the Armour save, but will cause the ward save to become better (over str 5 gives 5+ ward save)

JSOD (or some equivalency, ask evan8433 for exact outfit) is a pain in the neck. I'll give you an example, "my grail knights and fay enchantress are obviously outside that saurus charge range" next turn "WTF!!, his movement's WHAT?!?!?!". If you get the charge on bretonnians you have a chance, and probaly the simple tactic that will help to win a lot of your games againist Bretonnia.

CAUTION: If you do get the charge on bretonnia, or have them tied down, dont expect them to crumble, they still have excellent armour save, and a ward save, and will usually still have some ranks and their own phantom Combat Res. Soultion: Flank them, if you flank them you WILL WIN.

Sorry for the length and if you have any specific question i will be happy to answer them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in that instance it wasn't a saurus scar-vet, it was an old blood. I wouldn't charge a scar-vet into grail knights and I don't even know if it was a good idea with the old blood lol. The old blood IIRC had a GW, Charm of the Jaguar, BSof queztl, BSof sotek, and possibly some other spawning. I didn't give him a ward save cause I'm an idiot but definately give him one if you ever try a combo like that.

EDIT: The pic of what I was talking about won't be up for a couple of days because or game got cancelled and all my models are at my friend's house.
    Last edited by Evan8433; March 25th, 2006 at 00:24.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast