Combat-Heavy Lizardmen army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat-Heavy Lizardmen army

You see a ot of threads about making magic-heavy army's. But there arn't a lot of (almost zero) threads about combat-heavy army's. Don't they win a lot? Arn't they fun to play?

At first I also wanted to make a magic-heavy lizardmen army, but then I thought it over, and I noticed that there are a lot of 'chances' involved. Like; what spells do I get? What does my enemy pack of ani-magic? You also need a lot of luck with the whole casting.

I really want some advice on which units are good in combat-heavy army's. A lot of units saurus wariors? Are CoR really worth the points?
    As I'm new to lizardmen I have no experience with the army, but I do know how to play the game.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I would have to disagree somewhat with a part of your post in that i think a magic heavy lizardman army is extremely reliable.

A second gen slann will almost always cast his spells (that extra dice is golddust!), and when you can choose from the lore of life (my fave lore by an absolute mile, esp after the revamp!) then you're bound to get a whole lot of decent stuff to throw at you enemy. i always take at least four spells from that lore.

In the unfortunate case of a miscast or a fail to cast, then your skink priests can step in with their second sign re-rolls.

If your opponent takes a load of scrolls and gives all of his units magic resistance (like the bretonnians can do:realmad then its going to be a slight problem, but other than that extreme then you'll be owning the magic phase, esp in tournament play.

Magic only really concerns your characters, and so its still possible to have a formidable cc force and still have a lot of magic. But if you want to go anti magic then i'm thinking that an oldblood would be your prefered choice for a general.

Saurus warriors can form a good backbone of your army and are pretty solid, they don't really need to be given ne extra spawnings, they are fine as they come, 2 units of 20 would serve you well in 2k points. CoR are simply awesome on the charge but they are really expensive and so can't afford to go running off by themselves, they are great but be sure to use them wisely.

Remeber that even if you don't want to go with magic yourself, it still plays a massive part in the game (at least until seventh ed), and others will definitely use it. So its vital that you pack a couple of skink priests with lots of scrolls, i would even go with the blessed spawning of tepok on your general. You can't afford to have no magic defence, not with some of the armies out there...

Well that's my two pence. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't, either way good luck with your list(Y)

Ciao

stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think that a cobat-heavy lizzie army could work really well. They have a number of hard close-combat hitters - in fact most of their units are! A block of saurus warriors packs a hell of a punch. Get a few of them running around and you can match anyone in close combat, and with cold-blooded they are unlikely to flee from a fight. With that as your main fighting force, you can back them up with a stegadon, some CoR for extra speed, salamanders (for a bit of range) and kroxigor, all of which are very tough in a fight. Back this all up with a tough old-blood general and some skinks and you've got yourself an army more than capable of holding its own in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stonehambey, I notice you said that magic plays a big part until 7th edition. What did you mean by that? Have you got some good info about what magic will be like soon?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

GW are currently considering a slight revamp to the way a mage can use power dice. Its an attempt to tone down extreme magic heavy armies, which isn't good for my lizardmen:cry:

Apart from the standard two dice you get, a mage will only be able to attempt to cast a spell using the dice that he specificly generates.

At the moment i can take a couple of skink priests to give me four extra power dice, and i can let the slann use these to help him cast his spells, whereas if the new system takes effect then these dice could only be used by the skink priests that generate them.

I hope i've explained it ok

Ciao

stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting, thank you!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishra
    Very interesting, thank you!
    No worries, i have some close ties to GW development and i'll keep my ear to the ground and see if i can get a heads up on whether its going ahead.

But for now we'll have to wait for 7th...

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stonehambey
    I would have to disagree somewhat with a part of your post in that i think a magic heavy lizardman army is extremely reliable.

A second gen slann will almost always cast his spells (that extra dice is golddust!), and when you can choose from the lore of life (my fave lore by an absolute mile, esp after the revamp!) then you're bound to get a whole lot of decent stuff to throw at you enemy. i always take at least four spells from that lore.

In the unfortunate case of a miscast or a fail to cast, then your skink priests can step in with their second sign re-rolls.

If your opponent takes a load of scrolls and gives all of his units magic resistance (like the bretonnians can do:realmad then its going to be a slight problem, but other than that extreme then you'll be owning the magic phase, esp in tournament play.

Magic only really concerns your characters, and so its still possible to have a formidable cc force and still have a lot of magic. But if you want to go anti magic then i'm thinking that an oldblood would be your prefered choice for a general.

Saurus warriors can form a good backbone of your army and are pretty solid, they don't really need to be given ne extra spawnings, they are fine as they come, 2 units of 20 would serve you well in 2k points. CoR are simply awesome on the charge but they are really expensive and so can't afford to go running off by themselves, they are great but be sure to use them wisely.

Remeber that even if you don't want to go with magic yourself, it still plays a massive part in the game (at least until seventh ed), and others will definitely use it. So its vital that you pack a couple of skink priests with lots of scrolls, i would even go with the blessed spawning of tepok on your general. You can't afford to have no magic defence, not with some of the armies out there...

Well that's my two pence. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't, either way good luck with your list(Y)

Ciao

stonehambey
    True, magic only concerns the characters. And even in a combat-heavy army, you want to pack some scrolls, so you will add 1/2 priests. Now that I think of it the only differens (sp?) a combat-heavy army has with a magic-heavy army is the lord.

Hmm...
    And maybe playing a bit defensive, to let the slann survive..
    My previous army were dwarfs, so I don't want the whole defence thing again:wacko:

So what I can do is; make on 'standard' army, where I can just swap the lord (and maybe 1/2 units) and the magic items to go from combat- to magic-heavy.
    But he, that is just an idea. At the moment I only have 2 units of saurus warriors

ps: Yup, magic is going to **** in 7th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Isaaru, a combat heavy army is very viable. In this there are two directions you can go, stability or threat. The first involves a lot of Saurus (who pack a punch themselves and have good static CR) with a couple of hard hitters in support. The latter involves focussing on the hard hitters with a couple of Saurus blocks as anchors.
    Between these ways the variety is endless. And Sacred Hosts are also to consider.

A great way for a more balanced army (at 2k) is getting a lot of combat troops with instead of a Slann only a couple of lvl2 Priests for your spells. Especially if one of them has the Blood Statuette of Spite this can make for a reasonably potent magic phase, though of course it'll still be inferior to a Slann proper.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread