Lizardmen! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizardmen!

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lizardmen!

Hey!

As you will see i have started a thread for every army out there (or there abouts) this is because i am finding it so hard to settle down with one army. I get so bored so easily.

Basically, anyone who plays Lizardmen with a passion please help me out. Just let me know a thing or two about the army. Dont go into full detail as i may read the army book depending on how well you pull me into this army.

It is a fairly new army which is a very good start, good models, cool units and supposedly outstanding magic.

What are the chances of gettin bored with Lizardmen? Do you use every unit available to the army? Or are there some units you wouldnt touch and in turn think they are a waste of points? Do you have a new experience every battle and learn something new everytime you play? Or are they a boring race that follows the same stratergies and structure every battle?

Is there anything you wouldnt leave home without? Any imparticular unit that performs extremely well every battle? What are the Heroes and Lords like?

I dont know very much about the Lizardmen, apparently they have the best magic in the game, i dont know if that is true or not its just what i have heard, what is your oppinion on the matter?

There are alot of questions here, this is because i am a very enthusiastic gamer and i want to make sure the army is right for me before i go out and buy stuff. I could just go out and read the book, but i would much prefer to hear expert gaming experiences and various oppinions!

Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Ash

Last edited by Too_3asy; October 18th, 2006 at 03:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

What are the chances of gettin bored with Lizardmen?
    Personally i find the lizardmen extremely fun to use so IMO i dont think you will get bored with the lizardmen.
    But, this is a personal preference and it is really up to your style of play, though in that regard, the lizardmen are a race that can be taylored to fit almost any style of play.

Do you use every unit available to the army? Or are there some units you wouldnt touch and in turn think they are a waste of points?
    Lizardmen have the advantage of practically every unit being either an asset and/or a lot of fun to field. i dont think you will find a unit amongst the lizardmen that doesn't have its uses and/or appeal.

It is simply a matter of playing them all to their advantages in strict cohesion with the other units in your army.

Do you have a new experience every battle and learn something new everytime you play? Or are they a boring race that follows the same stratergies and structure every battle?
    Hardly.

The lizardmens variety of troop choices and magic items etc means you can field different (but still competitive) armies every time you play.

For example, maybe you would like an offensive army, large blocks of saurus backed by the Scar-Veterans and an oldblood on a carnosaur plus kroxigors, heavy cavalry and the massive steggadons.

A sneaky, skirmishing skink army filled with the aquatic skinks and their dreaded poisoned blowpipes. backed by skink chiefs/priests, terradon riders and salamanders.

A magically superior army with the incredibly powerful slann mage, skink priests and the sacred spawning of tepok all round.

Or you can field a mix of them all bringing a balanced, unique and incredibly characterful army to the battlefield.
    One thing you will not be accused of is lack of originality when playing the lizardmen. They are totally unique both in look, special ability and tactica.

Is there anything you wouldnt leave home without? Any imparticular unit that performs extremely well every battle? What are the Heroes and Lords like?
    Well, i wouldnt consider leaving home without at least one unit of the mighty saurus warriors who happen to be one of (if not the only) best troop choices in the game with their strength of 4, 2 attacks and scaly skin armour saves.
    The other must have (IMO) is a unit of the quick witted skinks. These skirmishing critters will be invaluable with their scouting ability and their poisoned blowpipes which negate enemy toughness.

Apart from them it is simply a matter of opinion. I am sure everyone has at least one favourite unit but to me these are simple must haves as they form the backbone of lizardmen society, armies and fluff.

The heroes and lords are also some of the best in the game.

The Slaan mage (with a few upgrades) can be made in to a toughness 5, wounds 8, 12-13 powerdice minimum magical monster with a 4+ wardsave as a bonus. The only downsides to this character is his poor combat ability and rather high points cost. But these can be fixed by adding him to a unit where his special rules allow him to still cast spells and stay out of combat.

In stark contrast to the slaan is the fierce oldblood. This guy has a profile to rival a chaos lord, even better it in some regards due to being cold-blooded. He also has access to some lovely magical weapons and items as well as being able to ride the deadly carnosaur, warhammers version of the tyranosaurus rex (this guy is literally a dinosaur)!!

In your hero section you also have access to skink heroes (chiefs and priests). While these guys dont carry their magical and fighting abilities to the extremes the bigger lizards take them, they are nontheless valuble (and cheap) characters used to bolster fighting potential, magical effectiveness or simply as caddies for magical items.

I dont know very much about the Lizardmen, apparently they have the best magic in the game, i dont know if that is true or not its just what i have heard, what is your oppinion on the matter?
    In my opinion the lizardmen have the single most powerful spellcaster available to any race available to them. Let me extrapolate:

A slaan mage priest + diadem of power + second generation + plaque of dominion + plaque of tepok has after the first turn a minimum of 9 power dice a turn plus extra FREE dice to cast spells with (plus the impressive statline mentioned above), is immune to miscasts, can use line of sight of his minions and can choose from any lore in the warhammer rulebook even choosing from more than one if he wants to!!

There are alot of questions here, this is because i am a very enthusiastic gamer and i want to make sure the army is right for me before i go out and buy stuff. I could just go out and read the book, but i would much prefer to hear expert gaming experiences and various oppinions!
    Well, i have barely gotten started but i thought it better for you to read through this first. If you like, i can elaborate on individual units, tactics and gaming compatability.

Also, i am sure every lizarmen enthusiast will add their two cents worth,

Enjoy,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post!

I have heard alot about the "spawning" is that a special rule? What does it do? Dont worry i am definatly going to read the army book, im just too enthusiastic to wait!

Where do i start? Lol. Well i assume Lizardmen are a more close combat orientated army due to minimum ranged units. Although i have seen the Blowpipes and as you have stated, outstanding magics. I suppose they can hold their own at long range?

Could you tell me a little bit more about the Saurus Heroes/Lords please? Also, how tactically challenging are the Lizardmen to use?

I want an army that takes a while to learn how to use and takes alot of thinking to do any good with, hopefully this will help keep my interests. I hate using armies that are easy to win with, i got bored of Chaos in 40k because i won all of the time and it was far too easy to win with them.
    Last edited by Sammy the Squib; October 17th, 2006 at 21:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly spawnings, basicly they allow you to give your saurus units and characters special bonuses, for a cost and core untis changing to special and rare, i think that about all i can say about the technical side of spawnings whilst staying within copyright, pm me if you want to know more. On the tactical side spawnings give you alot more flexibility, where Lizardmen don't have units like greatswords (of empire) or the white lions (High Elves), the spawnings allow you to customize your saurus units so that they can fulfill most roles, hard hitting assault unit, flanking unit, defesive unit, magic protection, all of these are covered in the spawnings, and you can take more then one for your characters and units so you can customize even more, to really get an idea of the spawnings you need to read the army book, then, as long as you know the fantasy rules, you will see how much use they are.

With your point about clsoe combat. You can make your army completely based around combat, cold one riders (saurus on cold ones to add speed and damage), oldbloods (covered later), kroxigors (bigger more powerful saurus that can rip through tough targets), Stegadons that can rampage through your enemies lines, even terradon riders that can launch lightning attacks and then flee. Not to mention as captain snowball said arguably the best close combat unit in the game, the saurus, which as i showed in the spawning section, you can customize to fill in whatever weaknesses you need them to fill in.

The Lizarmen can also be a powerful ranged army. Skinks, thanks to their poisened attacks, can hurt any enemy units. You also have salamanders that can decimate enemy squads in a turn(a powerfull but tempermental and risky choice imo), Slaan (covered later) who can decimate the battlefield with his magic.

On to Lords:
    The Lizarmen have some of the most powerfull lords in the game, the Slaan undobtedly the best spell caster in the game, able to bring magical death upon all enemies but near useless in combat, and the Oldblood who can tear up any enemy in close combat.

Slaan
    Probably the best known Lizardmen unit. You can choose from 4 different generations of slaan, each one more powerful then the next but increasing in points, he is your armies BSB, General. Most people go with either 2nd Generation (most powerful) or 4th Generation (2 least powerfull). They are destructive magic weilder, able to choose from more then one lore of magic. They get a free die to every spell they cast and get bonuses to their rolls. They can choose from a special list of magical items that can further improve them. They can have a specialized bodyguard of temple guard, and whenever they are part of any squad they follow special rules allowing them to cast spells, that other wizards aren't allowed to cast in combat. You are talking over 500 points for a 2nd generation slaan but he will decimate your opponent.

Oldblood
    A super Saurus. He is a close combat machine. He is easily the rival to a Chaos lord and can choose from a large selection of magic items that can make him a brutal unit slaughterer or a character hunter. He can select multuiple spawnings so that he can be further specialized to whatever role you want him to fill. He can also ride on a carnosaur. A mount that is extremely fearom and once it begins to kill just gets stronger. An Oldblood on Carnosaur can be uncontrollable but brutal, destroying everything in its path. However, again, like the Slaan you pay a high price for such a powerful character.

Heroes:
    The lizardmen have a fairly basic selection of heroes, the skink priest, a mage, the skink chief, a cheap close combat hero, Scar-Veteran, a weaker version of the oldblood without the ability to take a carnosaur.

Skink Priests
    Normally used as a scroll caddy, can be given the ability to fly or ride in a stegadon, but generally a basic Hero wizard as every army has.

Skink Chiefs
    IMO mainly used in small games. A cheap close combat Hero who can be equipped perhaps to accompany skink, when given a magical bow, so that he can help disuade enemies from charging.

Scar-Veteran
    The main close combat Hero in games of 2000+pts. He is a weaker version of the oldblood and can be kitted out more or less the same just without access to as many points of equipment and a carnosaur. He is a hero who can be used for hero hunting, or for turning that unit of cold one riders or Saurus into a bit more potent a close combat unit. Probably one of the best Close combat heroes in the game for sheer power.

As you can see from what is above the Lizarmen Heroes and Lords are a lot about power and brute force, this is however countered by there price. THey can be kitted out for almost any task that you could need them for.

Lizardmen can be played in many different ways. They are one of the few armies that don't have only 1 good way of playing them. You can customize them a lot so they are personal to your playing style, this also means they are not easy to get bored with since there is so much tweaking and you can always switch which Lord choice you originally chose at 2000pts and change the style of your army near completely. They can be extremely tacticaly demanding and require practice, when you have a 600 point frog on the table who has no hope in combat you need to learn how to use him well. However, it is a good learning curve and you will find them extremely satisfying to play with. Once you have learnt the tricks of the trade you will have challenging games but Lizarmen are in no way underpowered and often win tournaments, this means they are interesting to play with and not just easy win armies and are more fluid and tactical during games.

I hope this answers your questions, if you have any more just post them.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great post! I suppose its hard for me to understand alot of what you have said because i dont have the army book to hand, but from what i have read i am definatly going to get it.

Your descriptions and advertisement (if you like) of the army is outstanding and is enough to make anyone want to give Lizardmen a chance!

Many thanks, you will hear from me within the next week, after i have bought the book and possible army box!

You guys rock! Lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, looks like snowball and Gazboy covered it all. All I can really do is testify that what they're saying is true.

Two units I haven't seen mentioned so far, though: Chameleon Skinks, and Jungle Swarms.
    Jungle Swarms are just your standard swarm, though I've heard that swarms have been toned-down in 7th Edition (I've yet to read the new rule book).
    Chameleon Skinks are basically pimped-out Skinks who are even better at ranged attacks.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that was a good point, i forgot to ask about them two units, you got any more information on them?

Illegal, feel free to give your own oppinions and experiences on the Lizardmen, it doesnt matter if you repeat things already mentioned!

Also i have heard debates in my local GW store, Salamanders or Stegadons?
    Last edited by Too_3asy; October 15th, 2006 at 23:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still building up and army, and haven't played a game before, so my knowlege is limited.

Salamanders v Steggadon
    Depends. If you're fighting against light infantry, then slamanders. If you're fighting armored units, use a 'Don. Remember: 'Dons get a crew of Skinks, and lots of special rules.
    Also, never use Salamanders in groups of less than three, as they won't be as effective.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Yeah that was a good point, i forgot to ask about them two units, you got any more information on them?
    Yes indeed!!

Jungle Swarms:

Swarms (as mentioned) are your standard swarms. Mounted on a 50mm base, swarms are your blockers!
    Basically they can be used to hold up entire flanks all on their own due to their unbreakable special rule. They are also very cheap meaning you can purchase, easily, a fair number of them for a relatively minimum cost.....

Chameleon Skinks:

Chameleon skinks are pretty much the same as your standard skinks with blowpipes. However, they cost a little more as they have a special rule called 'chameleons' making them the ultimate scouts as they can set up vitually on top of the enemy in the right circumstances.
    The only downside to these guys is that they are slightly more expensive than your average skinks.

'Dons get a crew of Skinks, and lots of special rules.
    This is correct. Stegadons benefit from special rules such as 'howdah', 'giant bow', 'impact hits' and a really high unit strength not to mention terror and panic immunity as well.
    Basically these guys are the ultimate chariot!! The main differences being they are bigger, stronger, tougher and they cant be killed by a single hit (not sure if this is still the case in 7th edition)!!

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh right, so you use these units often then? One thing ive never understood, why would you want to deploy Skinks so close to the enemy? You are asking for a massacre!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast