Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey, Ive been playing Lizardmen for a while, and I usually won. Recently, however, my competition has been increased signifigantly (this is a good thing!), so I need to create a new list for Lizardmen. The way I currently view the lizardmen, it seems there are three major variations;
Each one of these has its flaws which must be overcome;
- Heavy Magic from the slann with a strong line of saurus to destroy, as well as provide protection for the slann.
- Calvary based with a Carnasaur Leader
- Mass Skinks
Ok, this post is mainly requesting army concepts that either are totally different from those above, or are variations that solve the problems. Please help out!
- The Slann is preferably 2nd generation as it gains ability to double magic dice, dominating the field. But with necessary items for a list against any army, he is boosted an additional 100 points. So now he is 560 points out of your pocket plus your opponent gets an extra 200 Victory Points if he manages to kill him. His magic is great, however he can roll bad spells, and an opponent packing 3 to 4 dispell scrolls can stop any game changing spells. So the question with this list is whether or not the Slann can make his points.
- The Leader, Oldblood on a Carnosaur, is very expensive. but if he gets into combat he rapes. The downside of this army is in the saurus calvary. For 35 points a model you get some good stats, but you still only have a 3+ save. Its the 3+ save that kills, ranged fire just rapes them so fast. A way to overcome this would be nice. The -1 to hit banner is great, however you still have to deal with Organ Guns and Hell Cannons that can take out the whole squad in a round of fire.
- Finally there are the mass skinks. Some people like to play the Southlands list, others dont. However the vulnerability is still there. With toughness 2 and WS 2, skinks arent gonna do anything in close combat. The solution is supposed to lie in mass poison attacks, however, with the new rules for skirmishers, preventing them from double moving when near an enemy, they have a much harder time of shooting and staying out of the enemies charge arc. Plus, each round of shooting really doesnt do much as the target still gets armor saves. The Kroxigors are great, but they have to kill so many guys to make up for the ranks of the opponent as well as banners and other factors.
A good point, but i have worked out a way to get around some of the things you mention here (well it works for me at least!)Originally Posted by Penguin_Buddha
You mention that you can roll bad spells and that a couple of scrolls can stop any game changing spells. Well how about going for some great cheap base spells? Like Fireball, hand of death etc. This way you can cast each on one dice (extra dice and +1 to cast means they will almost certainly go off) If you take plaque of tepok you could try a bigger spell at the end with two dice, or simply go for a drain magic. Using the power dice this way means that the Slann's 6 PD turn into 11! Which means less of a need for skink priest backup, saving on valuble points. Many armies spend around 600 points or so on characters, so using the Slann this way as your only character keeps you on track.
Does this help at all?
Thanks, at first having no large spells seems like a downside, but when you think about it, it makes dispel scrolls near worthless! Also, if you focus all 5 of your magic missles at one squad, your bound to do quite a bit of damage to it. I like this idea alot. So the remaining question for this type of army now, is what else should you field?
Well i guess the rest is down to taste. With the changes in 7th edition i'm going to swap my standard saurus bodyguard for temple guard. They're expensive for sure, but not only do they kick some serious ass but they're also next to unbreakable!
For the rest of the army i like lots of infantry, so i'll run another 3 blocks of saurus, making a total of four hard hitting blocks.
About 40 skinks is dirt cheap and never a bad option.
I love my salamanders so three of them will always find their way in somehow.
Then maybe a block of saurus cav or some kroxigor/terradons, depending on my mood.
Now for a little tweaking to the slann's magic items etc depending on who i'm facing, and that pretty much sums up my list. Like i say it's not to everyone's taste, but i'm liking it atm
kroxigor don't need to win combat neccesarily.
if you have a couple hard hitting units of krox, the enemy has two options: line up powerful units and try to deal with them, or line up weak units, let them do their damage and then have the (saved) powerful units smash the rest of his army.
in the first option, the kroxigor may not win combat, but they are still likely to win back their points immediatly. if they do win combat, that's just a plus.
in the second scenario you laugh at the opposing stupid general. You then use your salamanders (because of course you have them :yes: ) to decimate the weak units, and then get kroxigor behind enemy lines. This means that your opponent is going to lose. (99% of the time, the other 1% is when you have failed to kill enough of their war machines etc. by this point and you enemy makes mince meat out of the kroxigors without their skink protection.)
this isn't so much of a difference in army as it is a difference in the way you play it. keep moving the battle lines to your favor and get the most out of the units that have an advantagous position. the rest will just happen for you.
sounds like your list will have little room for the other specialised units such as the the high strength of the kroxigor, fast terradons or a suisidal saurus scar-vet. but three units of 20 regular saurus must look pretty scary for the enemy, as well as the slann's 'Unit of Ultimate Killyness' in there as well,
i'd like to see your army list, its different from the others
now back to the original discussion, there is no perfect army list for the lizardmen (or any other army in that case) it depends upon the player that is behind it, not the army:yes:
you've just have to find out the best army list for yourself,
No worries. I don't have my book with me atm. So i'll post the list when i get back home over xmas.Originally Posted by Kai-Itza
At least that is the slann one, the oldblood carnosaur list is something i'm still working on. The model is so cool, so i really wanna be able to use him
yea i'm thinking of getting the carnie model to put my plastic saurus cavalry champion on it for now as a cheap alternative, its great against OK :yes: