Lizardmen Mounted army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Lizardmen Mounted army?

Good afternoon all.

I'm a bit green to all this WFB malarky so thought I'd come to the most obvious place for a touch of advice.
    I recently bought the High Elf, Dark Elf, Lizardman and Hordes of Chaos army books and am seriously torn between them all, so over the next few days, as long as I don't spam, I'm gonna pick your brains about it

I note that if you pick Kroq Gar you can field cavalry as Core units, and was wondering what people thought of it.
    Main premise being a 2-3000 point army with Kroq Gar, 2 Skink Priests, as much cavalry as I could muster, a filler of skink scouts, a steg and some terradons.
    I like dinosaurs :yes:
    Whilst I realise that as far as mounted armies go, Bretonnian's are probably the best, I can't stand either the look of the models and generally don't fancy a human army.

Would it work? Would it game ok? Saurus Cavalry cost hellapoints, and are they effective enough to be Core troops?
    Also, almost everything in my army is a 'big' thing, big points sink, and so to lose even a bit of it would/could cost me the game.

I don't really want a Lizardman 'standard' force, with bits of everything. I like the look of the models and wish to collect them, but only if it can be turned into a gameable force.
    If a lizardman (mostly) mounted army isn't really gameable, I'll move on and get something else.

Thank you kindly, and I hope I've spelled everything right.....

Dave

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I gotta admit i haven't played the Kroq gar army before.

Lots of saurus cavalry do have the potential to break almost anything they run into, they are definitely one of the more hard hitting cavalry in the game. But you're right, they are expensive. I'm not sure i would have the guts to field an entirely mounted army (+skinks and dinos) so good on your for thinking about it.

One concern would be enemy firepower. CoR only have a modest 3+ save and so aren't indestructible by any means, which means you may have to use them wisely, as you will be seriously outnumbered. But i guess that's where skinks come in^_^

Good luck to you!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Ok, thanks for that Stonehambey.
    I'll whack out a list tonight when I get home and see what you all think.
    I haven't actually played a game of WFB for at least 10 years, so whatever items I select will be based purely on it's description, rather than playability, and as such am open to all comers (oooer) for advice. I understand the game mechanics, but I don't think I'll fully appreciate things like Magic until I play with it, so I'm in your hands

Cheers tho,

Dave

Edit: To add - Dont the CoR come with Shields? So +3 for being on a Cold one combined with 5+ Skin save = 2+ save, no?
    Last edited by distortiondave; November 7th, 2006 at 15:41.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave
    Edit: To add - Dont the CoR come with Shields? So +3 for being on a Cold one combined with 5+ Skin save = 2+ save, no?
    It's 6+ for scaly skin, then 5+ for shield, then 3+ for thick skin Cold one, i'm pretty sure there's nothing else:tongue:

Ciao

Stonehambey

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed is just the ticket!

I too am intent on a Host of Kroq-Gar, so I'll be taking lots of Sarus cavalry working in pairs, together they can probaly crush what they charge into and fight effectively if they are somehow charged. Their speed will be supported with skinks toting blow pipes, and I would also agree with taking a stegadon for its sheer hardness, and it'll bowl over foes and skewer nasties with its giant bow. ^_^ And I'm also planning on a unit of terradons to swoop around, get a flank or rear charge, slay a few then they run off.
    Hmm, and chameleon skinks would be nice and fustrating to shoot at and distract the enemy along with normal skinks.... with a little luck, the less aware player might keep trying to wheel to try and get the skinks and leave them vulnrable to the cavalry. :yes:
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

With Skink screeners i would imagine a mounted Saurus army would be quite the fast heavy hitting compact force. I would imagine it not doing well against dwarves due to their love of the organ gun, however against most armies you should perform well. The key i would imagine would be in deployment/choosing sides. Against most armies you will want to deny hills and use some woods to allow the skinks a true advantage while the saurus cav use woods to block line of side.

Problem opponents:
    Dwarves
    Wood Elves
    Skaven-magic heavy

Non problematic
    Toom Kings
    Orcs (as long as you can cause psychology tests)
    Chaos-most likely due to lack of shooting and small numbers.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess thats where I could use terradons could zip over to the dwarf organ gun and give it a good beating... and I'm also gonna take a few Kroxigors too, as they move nice and quick and deliver a very hefty smashy attack 'o' doom with their great weapons and work brilliantly with skinks. ^_^
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    With Skink screeners i would imagine a mounted Saurus army would be quite the fast heavy hitting compact force. I would imagine it not doing well against dwarves due to their love of the organ gun, however against most armies you should perform well. The key i would imagine would be in deployment/choosing sides. Against most armies you will want to deny hills and use some woods to allow the skinks a true advantage while the saurus cav use woods to block line of side.

Problem opponents:
    Dwarves
    Wood Elves
    Skaven-magic heavy

Non problematic
    Toom Kings
    Orcs (as long as you can cause psychology tests)
    Chaos-most likely due to lack of shooting and small numbers.
    I tend to agree with this analysis. Any magic or shooting intensive army would have a slight advantage against this army. However, by using the tactics mentioned utilizing cover and line of sight, it is definately possible for a Kroq-Gar cavalry army to win.

Personally, I don't like the list mainly because of the high point cost of the Riders. They are incredibly expensive and, in my opnion, not quite worth their value. Also, Kroq-Gar himself could be better. When I field a Carnosaur, I usually make my own lord who is profoundly more survivable. Of course, I don't have that spear, but I don't think this powerhouse really needs it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Cheers for the comments all, helpful bunch

I appreciate that you could probably make a better/cheaper Lord on a carnosaur than Kroqy, but then CoR would be Special and not core, meaning I'd still have to take at least 4 or 5 plodalongs, thus defeating the point a little bit.

I'm a little wary of things I don't understand also, so I'm very magic impaired until I get used to the way it works.

My next questions would be composition I suppose.
    Are two units of 5 or 6 CoR better than one unit of 10 or 12?
    Same with Terradons. They have pants LD, so best to have a big unit of 10, or two smaller ones?
    Is two stegadons overkill in 3000pt list?

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    Cheers for the comments all, helpful bunch

I appreciate that you could probably make a better/cheaper Lord on a carnosaur than Kroqy, but then CoR would be Special and not core, meaning I'd still have to take at least 4 or 5 plodalongs, thus defeating the point a little bit.

I'm a little wary of things I don't understand also, so I'm very magic impaired until I get used to the way it works.

My next questions would be composition I suppose.
    Are two units of 5 or 6 CoR better than one unit of 10 or 12?
    Same with Terradons. They have pants LD, so best to have a big unit of 10, or two smaller ones?
    Is two stegadons overkill in 3000pt list?

Thanks again
    I would definately say that two units of 5 or 6 would definately be better than one big one. Being a cavalry army, your main strength is your movement phase. By giving yourself two units to work with, you allow yourself to cover a flank and gain a strategic flank charge.

Since troops need to be 5 wide now to gain a rank, the big unit would only benefit from a +1 combat res bonus. This is not worth sacrificing the option of having another unit running around.

Personally, I would split that terradon unit up into two units of 5. Again, having more untis serves to disrupt the enemies strategy and gives you more options.

Since I never play above 2150, I dont know about having two stegadons. I happen to love them so I would say go for it. They aren't quite as mobile as your Riders, but you can get them in a turn after the initial charge and have that break the enemies back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast