stegadon, yay or nay? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stegadon, yay or nay?

well pretty simple really. is the stegadon good? new to lizardmen and they look kinda cool. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Stegadon is pretty good, but not alone, he's mainly used for flank charging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a large target is a huge draw back - he's a giant magnet for any and all artillery. Leadership 5 doesn't help much either. However, that said, I love my stegadons.

With the new 7th edition rules, most enemy formations are 5 models wide. This means you can charge with a group of 3 Kroxigors, and still have room on the front to fit a Steg in there if you can't get to the flank. This particular charge combination will break pretty much any unit in the game if it goes off, as it does a massive amount of damage, has a high unit strength, and causes terror, allowing for auto-breaking shenanigans.

Two games ago I managed to hit a unit of 15 chosen chaos warriors that contained my opponent's chaos lord with this charge. The Krox hit in the front, and the steg on the side. I killed 8 chaos warrios. I outnumbered him (17 total unit strength for Steg+krox), plus the flanking bonus, plus no rank bonus for him. I wound up winning the combat 10cr to 3, which spelled doom for the entire unit.
    One murder made a villain, millions a hero. Princes were privileged to kill, and numbers sanctified the crime. - Beilby Porteus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even with a Ld of 5, he is stubborn, just follow your Hero, a Stubborn Ld of 8 is really hard to break, AND he has the Cold Blooded ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure he doesn't get the Stubborn bonus if he tests on the general's leadership. You can do one of two things:

1) use Steg's LD, and test on an unmodifiable 5, or
    2) use General's LD, and test on a modifiable 8/9

However, since he causes terror and is immune to panic, he'll almost never have to test unless he loses a combat. And that's easy to prevent - just don't lose. :yes:
    One murder made a villain, millions a hero. Princes were privileged to kill, and numbers sanctified the crime. - Beilby Porteus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are the skinks and the bow on the back any use? or is it all about combat and impact hits? also, would youever put a character on the back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly the skinks on the back have a bolt thrower, which while not having the best BS in the world, is pretty damn usefull. My friend used to field 2 of them some games, it sucked because although they arent spectacular, they are pretty hard to kill and 2 of them sticking together is terrifying.

He's coming for you...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum8000 View Post
    are the skinks and the bow on the back any use? or is it all about combat and impact hits? also, would youever put a character on the back?
    Welcome to LO, drumbum. Take a moment to check out the rules link in my sig (LO inquisitorium). We'd appreciate it if you'd hit that shift key once a while...capital letters sure do help make a post readable.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The steg is very nasty it's true. But for some reason my salamanders always seem to cause more havoc. I just haven't had much luck with him I guess, maybe I'm not using him right.

If I have enough points for a steg then that means I also have enough points for another group of 5 CoR, which are being the stars of my games atm

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 salamander sure is better then 2 stegadon, you can easily outshoot everything if your lucky. you have between 12 and 60 shoot each turn :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast