Slaan Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slaan Tactics

Junior Member Drunken Armadillo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slaan Tactics

Im just starting to play 2000 pt games and ive never used my slaan before. I dont have Temple Guard, so where should i position my slann when deploying? also what lores do you guys use and what generation? Other tactics would be great.

Thx for your responses ahead of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

You can always have the Slann in a unit of normal saurus, they'll provide ample protection.

Be sure to make him the BSB.

Personally I always go for 2nd Gen Slann. He's a lot of points, but he sure is worth it! A free dice for every spell is goldust.

I like taking a lot of base shooty spells with my slann. Like fireball, hand of death, rule of burning iron etc. Plus he's got drain magic which is always useful.

Whatever you do he is a lot of fun! Good luck to you! =)

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your opponent doesn't have shoot, you can take the first spell of shadow lore, it let you move for 20'', so you don,t need a saurus cover, your enemy will never get to you anyway :p

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by magicaltux View Post
    If your opponent doesn't have shoot, you can take the first spell of shadow lore, it let you move for 20'', so you don,t need a saurus cover, your enemy will never get to you anyway :p
    This doesn't work as the Slann is US5 and the spell you are referring to can only be cast on models with a unit strength of 1.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Stonehambey as it right, you have to make him a second generation. With no more dice sharing t is almost impossible for any other generation to earn their keep.

Personal I run a Second Generation in my force with a Diadem of Power and BSB. With the Diadem i can switch to magic defence with a respectable 6 dispel with the +1 or i can generate 8 power dice for magical offence.

Warning: If running a 2nd Generation Slann in a 2000 point force it is very unlikely that you will have other characters, so watch out for super units with bad boy generals in them. My force at least has very little in the way of dealing with it. In fact all i have is rule of burning iron and bane head.

Oh and don't be afraid to move him out of the unit. Being able to move the Slann out of a unit is the sole reason i will never take temple guard.

Cheers

Origin

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Only models in base contact with the fighting can issue challenges. Combine this with the fact that models fight corner to corner and a Scar vet with the bane head and Jaguar charm makes the perfect character hunter. Run him into a unit, corner to corner with the character, but not in contact with the champion so he can't be drawn out by a challenge.

The way to get round this is to put your characters on the corner of a unit with the champion next to him. Then there is no way the scar-vet can attack the character and not be in contact with the champion, due to the rule which states you must get as many models fighting as possible (and clipping is, of course, unsporting)

It might be expensive with the Slann as well, but if you can kill a mage or a BSB then I think it's worth it.

Of course Bane head and rule of burning iron is excellent as well. In fact, I think the Bane Head is one of the best items available to the lizardmen.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    ...Combine this with the fact that models fight corner to corner and a Scar vet with the bane head and Jaguar charm makes the perfect character hunter...
    Scar-vet can't take both; characters can only have one Enchanted Item.
    One murder made a villain, millions a hero. Princes were privileged to kill, and numbers sanctified the crime. - Beilby Porteus

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Goryus View Post
    Scar-vet can't take both; characters can only have one Enchanted Item.
    Damn you 7th ed rules!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Quoted by Stonehambey:
    Only models in base contact with the fighting can issue challenges. Combine this with the fact that models fight corner to corner and a Scar vet with the bane head and Jaguar charm makes the perfect character hunter. Run him into a unit, corner to corner with the character, but not in contact with the champion so he can't be drawn out by a challenge.
    This could only work if the scar vet was on his own, so are you suggesting to potentionally suicide a scar vet?? i thought they were quite pricey in the first place...

this can also be combated. All the defender would do, is arange the cornver of his unit like this: character, champion, rest... Then, when the Scarvet charges, he'll have to maximise, thus, its now impossible to draw him out...

Also, the defending character can just refuse, and then static combat res will force him to flee...

My brother uses a 2nd generation slann and hes hard to stop (well, ive never killed it...) he kits it out with (and i dont know the name of these items...i think they were plaques...) +1 spell, 2+ ward save vs shooting, 2nd gen. He then picks only 1 lore so he can have nearly an entire lore at his diposal. He usually picks fire, due to amount of offensive magic it has.

my two cents, Tim
    Last edited by timk1111; January 21st, 2007 at 01:49.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111
    this can also be combated. All the defender would do, is arange the cornver of his unit like this: character, champion, rest... Then, when the Scarvet charges, he'll have to maximise, thus, its now impossible to draw him out...
    Thanks, but I already pointed that out...

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    The way to get round this is to put your characters on the corner of a unit with the champion next to him. Then there is no way the scar-vet can attack the character and not be in contact with the champion, due to the rule which states you must get as many models fighting as possible (and clipping is, of course, unsporting)
    Also, the defending character can just refuse, and then static combat res will force him to flee...
    I never said anything about the scar-vet challenging. Just that he directs all attacks against said character. If the character wants to challenge then so be it, the only thing that matter is that the champion can't draw him out.

This could only work if the scar vet was on his own, so are you suggesting to potentionally suicide a scar vet?? i thought they were quite pricey in the first place...
    Less than 150 points, usually. Worth it if you get to kill a 300 point archmage/general/BSB

Ciao

Stonehambey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast