spears or HW? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spears or HW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spears or HW?

Ok here's the deal. I have almost 500 points of lizardmen so far; a box of saurus warriors, a box of skinks, and a mounted scar vet. I have another box of saurus warriors to put together and I cant decide whether its worth the points to give them spears (the unit I built already has hand weapons). After playing a few small games against the empire, I think it might be worth it to get an extra row of attacks or +1 strength on charges, and since I could give em BS of Quetzl to make up for the lack of shields, my only concern is the fact that I would be making a high point-cost unit even more expensive. I appreciate any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Spears on foot don't get +1 strength on the charge

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, sorry i just realized that mistake {goofy}

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

No worries, I think hw and shield is your best bet. If you go for spears then you'll only get a 6+ save in combat whereas the hw and shield combat will give you, from the front at least, a 4+ save.

Five saurus already dish out 11 attacks so I don't think there is any real need to up the number. So I'd for the better save

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    No worries, I think hw and shield is your best bet. If you go for spears then you'll only get a 6+ save in combat whereas the hw and shield combat will give you, from the front at least, a 4+ save.

Stonehambey

I thought that all saurus have light armor, and with scaley skin they have a 5+ save, or am I mistaken? If they did, then I could still get the 4+ save from giving them the BS of quetzl. If I am wrong about the armor save, then I do think HW would be better. Also, would the second row of saurus still get 2 attacks with spears? The rulebook doesnt really specify, it just says that the second rank can attack in static CC.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

No saurus cannot wear light armour.

As for your second question, a second rank of saurus only get one attack. This is specified under the 'predatory fighter' rule

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do get 5+ armor save if you wield spears, because you get 6+ from the scaly skin, and then with the shield it´s 5+.

I like hand weapons and shield more, but i also have an unit of saurus with spears, though if i have points over i´d definititely use Sacred Spawning of Quetzl on them.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I'm not a lizardman player, but I've thought about them before, and here's my take on the matter.

I agree with Stonehambey. You've got a fair number of attacks already, I'd prefer the extra save. Also, the extra attacks only come into play when charged or during protracted fights, and if lizardmen are in greatly protracted fights, they are probably going to be flanked and lose anyway. Plus lizardmen are already expensive, and spears make them slightly more so.

Models-wise, the spears look awesome though.

-Koosh
    Last edited by kooshlord; March 27th, 2007 at 21:41.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by huanzlat
    You do get 5+ armor save if you wield spears, because you get 6+ from the scaly skin, and then with the shield it´s 5+.
    Ah yes, my mistake

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks for clearing all that up. I think I'll stick with the hand weapons.:yes:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast