Help in 2000 point battle vs Tomb Kings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help in 2000 point battle vs Tomb Kings

Hello i am going to face my friend that is Tomb kings and i am Lizardmen

Everytime we meet he beats me so i need some help.
    Here is the list i made for the battle, any advice welcome, I am not a real expert so feel free to even give advaice in general.

(i have the italian version of the book so i might get the names i little wrong but u will get what they are)
    Heros:
    Slann
    4th generation +40
    Battle Standard +25
    (hmm its the iteam that gives a +2 ward save) something of protection +50
    (the other one that gives 1 power dice and a disspell dice) +50

Skink mage
    lvl 2 +35

Skink Mage
    lvl 1
    Dispell scrol +25

Total points in heros: 680

Units:

Saurus x 16
    Full command
    222 points

Saurus x 16
    Full command
    222 points

Saurus x 16
    Full command
    (dont know how to call it i think its called blessing of Quetzl that gives +1 armor) + 30
    (other belssing that makes you immune to psychology, blessing of Tlazcotl) +20
    total points 272
    ./\
    ..|
    This unit is for the slann

Skinks x 24
    144 points

Cavalry x 5
    Full Command
    standard of Huanchi (the one that makes u move)
    total points 265

Salamanders x3
    total points 195

Over all points 2000

The few things that worry me about my list are that
    1. I have to few saurus in my slann protector unit
    2. I have to few units in general

The things that i worry about his list is:
    1. Usabti
    2. Cascet of souls
    3. scorpions
    4. carriots
    5. There numbers
    (beacuse i know they are going to be more than me)

thanks for reading

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by lacadam View Post
    The few things that worry me about my list are that
    1. I have to few saurus in my slann protector unit
    2. I have to few units in general
    combine the 3 Saurus units into two, you should be able to make two units of 25, with the points saved from command etc make them both immune to fear via the spawning of Tlazcotl.

Having a compact army presents difficulties if you face an agile opponent who can surround you, try to use terrain to hold a flank and delay units like skinks and swarms to slow them even more.

Tomb Kings are slow without magical support. Try taking a cube of darkness to rob them of a crucial magic phase, maybe even give the priest the spawning of the old ones to make sure it happens. Drop both the Plaque of protection and dominion and upgrade the Slann to a 2nd Generation, you save points and he becomes far superior, give him the diadem of power and concentrate on defense with drain magic and high volumes of dispel dice. At least until you assassinate his magic users.

The things that i worry about his list is:
    1. Usabti
    2. Cascet of souls
    3. scorpions
    4. carriots
    5. There numbers
    (beacuse i know they are going to be more than me)
    1. Delay with swarms and crumble them via combat res if you have nothing else that can combat them, hitting them on the flank with your COR is sure to cause problems. Give them a Warbanner instead of Hunanchi, static combat res is a solid investment vs undead. Hit them on the flank with a warbanner and you will be 4 points up on CR and add the wounds to taste.

2. You'll have a read of the Tomb Kings forums for this thing's weaknesses, i have never faced one.

3. Scorpions are bloody annoying, just about anything that tunnels is very frustrating, all i can suggest is that you ignore them or keep a fast reserve to counter them, Terradons maybe or JSOD.

4. Strength 7 is all you need against chariots and Lizards have that in spades, Kroxigor and JSOD. I would suggest the latter for speed. Try this;

Scar-Vet: Greatweapon, Light Armour, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Blessed Spawnings of Tlazcotl and Sotec.

Charge him into ANY chariot unit, and start swinging, coming in with 5 Strength 7 hits will wipe out a chariot unit, the most i see are units of three maybe four.

5. Numbers are only going to be a problem if you let him bring them to bear on you. Try and use terrain to delay portions of his army so you are only ever facing half of it at any one time. You basic troops will have no issues against his.

One thing i would suggest is to have some combat character support, Tomb Princes can be very nasty and when facing unbreakable units things tend to be become grinding matches and although your Saurus are superb combat troops they are costly and will lose a war of attrition. Remove his characters form the game one way or another and let the Saurus do what they do best.

Cheers

Origin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb Kings should be your easiest foe! Upgrade your SLANN to 2nd gen and take the Cube......his magic phase is completely obliterated while you can still zap away at his army. And every TK player knows that once his magic phase is gone, all is 100% harder, coz now his poor CC troops have no support, no extra shooting phase, no help at all. All he will have left is psychology and when you're coldblooded, you won't care!

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by farmergiles65 View Post
    Tomb Kings should be your easiest foe! Upgrade your SLANN to 2nd gen and take the Cube......his magic phase is completely obliterated while you can still zap away at his army. And every TK player knows that once his magic phase is gone, all is 100% harder, coz now his poor CC troops have no support, no extra shooting phase, no help at all. All he will have left is psychology and when you're coldblooded, you won't care!
    The "poor" CC units i.e. Skeletons, are slower than the good CC troops in the case of Ushabti, Scorpions, and Chariots, and the same speed in the case of Tomb Guard. So while it will slow his army down it won't disrupt movement as much as you think it will.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by farmergiles65 View Post
    Tomb Kings should be your easiest foe! Upgrade your SLANN to 2nd gen and take the Cube...
    wait i have an italian version of the book what cube are you talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are talking about the Cube of Darkness which can end the magic phase on a die roll.

Tomb Kings live and die on magic. You must stop the important stuff. The entire army cannot march and any extra movement has to be accomplished with magic. With 6 dispel dice and one scroll I think you are a little under prepared. This is more important because he brings the casket. You might want to throw a Tepok onto one of your Saurus units and get at least one more dispel scroll.

I would personally keep my JSOD far away from the Tomb Scorpion due to its Killing Blow ability. Your JSOD will most likely have more effect slaughtering Mages, the Casket, or Chariot units. The Tomb Scorpion is not US5 so it can't cut ranks or receive bonuses for flank/rear charges. I'd be careful with my skink priests though.

If you can, I'd sit back and blast his units with magic. If you do upgrade your Slann to 2nd Gen you should be able to get a whole ton of spells cast. Tomb Kings are "generally" though of weak in magic defense. If you do lock down his movement you will have a lot of time to blow away his units. (Caution, you might be bored with this "Magical" gunline.)

The key to winning is to make sure your retard his magic phase. He has 2.5 major incantations that concern me. Movement and extra shooting. To a much lesser extent he can heal units slightly.

Finally, find and kill his Heirophant! This will not only reduce his magic phase, his army will begin to crumble. I like Terradons for mage hunting.

Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

magic...

A good Tomb Kings player takes into consideration that there magic phase might be shut down and builds a list that can function without it. Chariots still charge at 16'', great weapons still hurt, Catapults still cause panic tests, Carrion still march block and outnumbering and winning combat still autobreaks(unless you get snake eyes or you cause fear/terror). When I play vs. magic heavy High Elves, I take the battle to him with the units that don't need the liches. His wizards eventually fall and than my magic comes into play, hammering in the nails.

This being said, I know that many TK players feel magic is our life blood. Sadly for your lizardmen, this isn't true. Wise tactics can plug your wizards full of holes, of course, the same goes the other way.

The point about avoiding numbers is apt, I have to do this when facing Orcs, using the terrain to divide them. Carrion to slow and separate them.

Still, I play Lizards and TK, and your list looks like it could be put to good use. I would avoid becoming obsessed with shutting down his magic phase though. I've won games where my Incantations didn't get through until the later half of the game.

Poison skinks will down the Ushabti, chariots, anything. Infiltrate, get close, double tap. Lore of light can help the Slann, and maybe Metal. good vs. Chariots.
    As suggested, taking immunities to psychology is wise.
    Liches and Kings are flammable.
    As for the Caskets weakness? Clearly, it is easy to prevent from going off. Save 2 dice. Avoid having it in your LOS. Enough blowpiping will hit the crew, one of whom is the liche that keeps it running.

{goofy}

+ Reply to Thread