Saurus Oldbloods inventory - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saurus Oldbloods inventory

Hi all im new to lizardmen and am starting a 2000 point army. I was wondering if anyone could help me decide what a saurus oldblood mounted on an oldone should carry as i am doumb founded by all the things he should take.

please feel free to post:w00t:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Mounted on an old one!? Now that would be one hard character! =P

Ok I'm going to assume you meant a cold one Units of saurus cavalry hit hard enough anyway and adding a character to the ranks really does a good job to beef up the grief(Y)

Oldbloods have a similar stat line to a chaos lord and I have found that they don't need much when it comes to tooling them up. Why take the blade of the revered tzunki when a great weapon will do a similar job for a fraction of the price?

I would have to say that my all time favourite lizardmen item is the piranha blade. This is an awesome weapon for taking down anything with multiple wounds. The oldblood already has a high strength and high number of attacks (can take bs of Sotek to up this further) and this weapon rarely fails to let me down. Run him into a multiple wound unit and watch it fall, run him into most characters and watch them fall. I like to combine it with the charm of the jaguar warrior for good measure. He is a strong alternative to the great weapon wielding Scar-vet version of the same name.

But that is a bit of a tangent and if you are set on taking an oldblood on a cold one then I would probably take him looking something like this.

Oldblood - Blessed spawning of itzl, sotek and tepok, enchanted shield, light armour, aura of quetzl, rides a cold one.

This gives him a 0+ save and a 4+ ward against anything which could damage this significantly. He also packs 6 s5 attacks on the charge and I've even made him generate a dispel dice for shits and giggles.

If you are low on points then I think you could probably drop the blessed spawning of Tepok and swap the enchanted shield of a normal one without losing his effectiveness. You could probably even drop the blessed spawning of Sotek if you're really stuck for points

Hope this might help, it's early in the morning and I can't help but feel I've rambled a little!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to start by saying that when it come to lizzardmen, Stonehambey really knows what he's talking about. I've been visiting these forums for months, and he's always got the answers. Way to go.

Now, if it were me, I wouldn't mount the oldblood on a cold one. I'd either tool him up and throw him on a carnosaur, or tool him up and throw him in with a unit. Then I'd put a scar vet with the cold ones. Reasoning being is I think your limiting an oldblood by putting him on a cold one. They can get singled out if they aren't in the squad, they are subject to stupidity (which always seems to pass until you need it most), and he becomes less versitile as he generally stays with the COR. I also think this moves him to far from the main troop that use his leadership (mainly Stegadons, salamanders, skinks, and whatever as the saurs behave pretty well).

What I did, and you may not agree, is gave my oldblood the sword of striking first, the mirror shield, and the aura of Qutzel. Then I either put him in with a squad or ran him on a carnosaur. The COR should be able to handle themselves pretty well, and even better when they have a carnosaur flanking the unit they charged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dellul View Post
    Hi all im new to lizardmen and am starting a 2000 point army. I was wondering if anyone could help me decide what a saurus oldblood mounted on an oldone should carry as i am doumb founded by all the things he should take.

please feel free to post:w00t:
    Thanks guys but i think i'm gonna drop him off his coldone.

Any ideas of what to equip him with on foot?

Thanks heaps!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On foot? I would personally give him either the parrana blade, OR Sun resplendent, enchanted shield, bane head, aura of quetzl, mark of quetzl, tzatl, oldones and stick him in a unit of saurus with mark of tzatl preferably. This guy generally eats characters for breakfast and if you give him the scimitar and trade up quetzl for sotek he can really mince infantry alike. Just some suggestions from my experience.

Honestly though I run him in a 9 strong squad of cavalry with huanchis blessed totem and my scar vet joins the other 9 strong. Nothing really stands up to them when they charge together. But, whatever floats your boat. :yes:

Cheers,

Panda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    On foot? I would personally give him either the parrana blade, OR Sun resplendent, enchanted shield, bane head, aura of quetzl, mark of quetzl, tzatl, oldones and stick him in a unit of saurus with mark of tzatl preferably. This guy generally eats characters for breakfast and if you give him the scimitar and trade up quetzl for sotek he can really mince infantry alike. Just some suggestions from my experience.

Honestly though I run him in a 9 strong squad of cavalry with huanchis blessed totem and my scar vet joins the other 9 strong. Nothing really stands up to them when they charge together. But, whatever floats your boat. :yes:

Cheers,

Panda

I have the LM army book and was wondering what the pirhana blade actually does becuase i dont understand iin the rulle book.

Thnks GUYS!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Here's my personal favorite version of the Old Blood (excluding him on a carnisaur):

Old Blood.........303 points
    -BSoSotek, BSoQuetzl, BSoTepok, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Maiming Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Light Armor

He has a 2+ save and gets a whopping 9 S5 attacks on the charge. Also to make sure he gets said charge, he has the CotJW, giving him an 18" charge range out of a unit (keep him in a saurus block for protection). He can take out light cav or small units of heavy cav by himself (excluding chaos knights, cav aren't that dangerous w/o the charge). He can also beat on most characters, but he isn't the most efficient character killer (there are better builds for that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the LM army book and was wondering what the pirhana blade actually does becuase i dont understand iin the rulle book.

Thnks GUYS!!
    I'm pretty sure we can't give you a rules clarification here, but I could be wrong. :shifty: Just in case, call your local Games Workshop and ask or call Mail Order and ask :book:.

Cheers,

Panda

+ Reply to Thread