Tutorial: Necron Flayed Ones from Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Tutorial: Necron Flayed Ones from Warriors

How to make Necron Flayed ones and Immortals from Warriors.

aloha. Most know me from the Scenery forum , where I live, lurk and terrorize. I came up with a nifty idea to get around spending way too much money for pewter Models, while still fielding believable and good-looking models. Not sure if it's been done already, but to me, it's original! Two things my Necron army lacks, are Flayed Ones, and Immortals. Both of these are pure pewter lines and if anyone knows, these are some of the more expensive models in the necron Army.

This is a tutorial on how to make both of these types of Units from basic Warriors..
    Yes, normal Necron Warriors. 12 Warriors and some scarabs are in this box. It will instead make 6 Flayed ones, and 6 Immortals!

First thing I did was find a box of these:

Basic Necron Warriors.

So I cut one of these Necron Warriors out and set him up:

Then I took the Knife to it. I cut the gun off from the one hand, and cut both legs from the pelvis:

This is how the pelvis normally sits on a model:

So when I reattached it to the legs, I tilted it like this:

I glued the legs back on in an approaching pose, and since the spine was tilted forward, the head had to be tilted up, (to look forward). I cocked it to the side to give it a more inhuman, more creepy feel.

Now for this next step, you could use anything. Greenstuff, other minis, even basic sprue bits. The right hand/fist from the gun arm is there, but the left hand is molded to the gun. We need to make a replacement for the left hand.

For myself, I fell into a huge collection of terrible, unused Heroclix© figures.

So I found a model within the box and cut myself a nice left hand/fist. A bit of drilling and some superglue and our new Flayed One-to-be has a left hand!

Next step, I cut some basic plastic card. 40mm worked here, but I guess you could go thinner, but the 40mm give the "fingers" some strength from being handled and stuffed in foam.

Rinse and Repeat six times, You will have yourself 6 Flayed ones. Don't forget to get some greenstuff and make the flayed skin on them!

Section 2. Now you have 6 warriors left, and 12 guns.. What can we do with that?
    We can make 6 immortals is what!

Step one. Cut em free.

Next, grab that plasticard or thick card or whatever you want to simulate this part. I used .40mm plasticard. Cut yourself off a thin strip, maybe a 1/4 of an inch.

Make yourself two 1/4 inch squares from the card strip and then bend the two pieces like thus:

Glue those two strips on top of the warrior shoulderpads, and then move to the guns.
    Take a solid arm/gun and one of the cut off guns from the new Flayed ones. Clip the one bottom-hanging pipe off the loose gun, then fit it atop the arm/gun combo. Make sure you file/cut down the molded left hand on the loose gun (the one on top)The guns won't fit together without removing this hand.
    Once it's together, it should look like this:

When completed, it should look like this:

That's it! Rinse and repeat 6 times, with the remaining warriors and loose guns and you have yourself 6 Flayed ones and 6 Immortals. Plastic, cheap, and very WYSIWYG. Don't forget the greenstuff layed over the Flayed Ones for the human skin. How to? That's a different tutorial.

Sho'Nuff out.

Last edited by Shonuff; June 8th, 2008 at 15:38.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

first off LOL@signature.

secondly nice post, but how does the rods fit into the immortals I'm concerned cos it looks a little crooked at the end, or do you fix that when the rods are put in?

I think a little GS around the arms of the flayed and sharpening their claws would work wonders man, its amazing what a little knife action can do

very nice and informative though.

EDIT: and the 2nd flayed one looks the best out of the 2, the other looks a little confused on his feet, like he is taking his first steps.
    Last edited by omgitsduane; June 8th, 2008 at 15:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x1)

Nice tute, thanks for tkaing the time to write it;Y.

-Dwayne
    CHK CHK BOOM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Shonuff... thank you!

Wow.... now I don't have shell out the money for the 20 immortals in my army I still proxy.

Thank you so very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

:wow:
    That's exactly what I had in mind here (Money Saving Conversions).
    Those ideas might not be new, but to my knowledge nobody bothered with making a tutorial for them before!

Thanks, Shonuff!

By the way - you save $61 and get three bonus Scarab Swarms per box of Warriors you buy to convert this way. Quite a bargain, eh?
    Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; June 9th, 2008 at 10:02.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

229 (x4)

Yeah, Thanks guys, I had fun working out the steps and making them. I love modeling and scenery more than playing,and with GW being as expensive as it is, Still buying and using something of theirs in a new way to save me money, makes me feel less guilty.

Hope everyone enjoys the tutorial.

And OMGID, I did sharpen the one edge of the claws..more menacing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

I sort of meant to a fine point. but as long as you promised one side was done I'm happy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Nice tut. I don't plan on using flayed ones anytime soon, but I've heard of this, albeit using the flayed one claws ordered from GW, which I don't think you can do anymore. Have you considered getting nid bits from thewarstore to use as claws instead? Just wondering.

The immortal conversion is kewl. I have a box of warriors I bought a while back just for this purpose ($10 each for METAL models??? Ya right!). I planned to do something very similar to this.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

WOW! I'm still in awe of this tutorial. Thanks a ton! I just started necrons and was scared as crap to pay $100 for 10 immortals. I already have 1, but this gives me 6 more for $30! You sir are a GOD of the metal type Ctan ShoNuff in the next codex?

Any way to get this stickied or anything over in the Necron section? Maybe a link to it or something...great guide!
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; June 10th, 2008 at 22:19.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

229 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    WOW! I'm still in awe of this tutorial. Thanks a ton! I just started necrons and was scared as crap to pay $100 for 10 immortals.
    That is EXACTLY why i decided to do this little modelling conversion. No way was I paying over 200.00 for pewter immortals and pewter flayed ones, when I can make my own, still using GW models! i'll take 30.00 over 100.00 to spend, anyday.:party2:

You sir are a GOD of the metal type Ctan ShoNuff in the next codex?
    Wow, C'Tan? Thanks! I get to be the Void Dragon?

Any way to get this stickied or anything over in the Necron section? Maybe a link to it or something...great guide!
    Go for it. Link it over there, with my blessings. if you want it stickied, that's a mod job. and I think if it just fell into the realm of th other Tutorials, but went into the indx at the top, that'd be cool. THen again, I made it to the front pag of Librarium Online, so i'm happy enough.:drinking:

Sho'Nuff Out.