"That's no knife, THIS is a knife!"
Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I think we have a knife almost exactly like that in this house somewhere.
Never had call to use it for modelling purposes, though!
There are a few things that the use of such tools provide. I could have gently tried to pry the pieces apart. That would have 1, distorted the surrounding plastic rendering the salvageable pieces marred and unusable. 2, running the risk of a nasty cut from a slipped blade. 3, Damaged or broke the knife or chisel.
I reasoned the sharp knife blades I have are too short for such a cut, the chisel has too steeply beveled a blade and would warp the plastic, and any kitchen knife I had and I have the finest German chefs knives made I would not risk with a hammer blow.
So I dragged out my trusty Solingen butchers knife that I have had for many years. 12 inches of the finest carbon steel sharp as a razor, strong as a cleaver. A quick sharp rap and the piece is rended in twain, no damage, no danger; the right tool for the right job.
Plus the provided theatrical entertainment value ; Priceless!
I spent the entire weekend revamping the lower legs making them wider and a half inch shorter. I cut down the radius of the hip and decreased the front to back measurement of the upper legs and and sheathed the whole all the while remodeling the bath which somehow takes precedence?
I can see it now the leg proportions are much better, good work.
"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road
Well I did have to cut the upper legs down again another 4MM all around. I installed the skin (AGAIN) and am working on the detail.
I made a couple of jigs to facilitate the assembly first a cutting jig so the zipper-like trim is homogeneous and equally spaced.
And a small aligning jig so the truncated pieces are aligned with their opposite number.
DS has 9 sets up the back of the leg but I got ten with approximately the same spacing so either his are larger or his legs are shorter or he isn't as anal about the spacing.
I use Ambroid ProWeld when I can get it. I keep it in a Tamiya bottle because it's less prone to tipping and the fine tipped brush wastes a lot less solvent (Its really not a glue so much as a plastic melter.)
For really large surfaces I use Testors red or blue tubed styrene cement. I see little difference between the two other than the toxicity of the red but I've never ben afacked bi iet myslef.
Hmmm.......... I seem to have experienced a flurry of activity this weekend completing the basic upper leg structure and adding a bit of detail.
Time to take stock and see where I've gone wrong.
One step forward and two steps back seems to be my mantra.....................
No, I am satisfied with the robustness of the legs. The detail will supply the needed bulking so:
The Blackadder is in his glory. I relish doing the fine detail. Well this project is fraught with minute detail some of which is smaller than the pixel resolution in the images I have.
You're going to have to look close (If you're so inclined I won't presume my work is worth more than a causal glance.) to see where the changes are in the detail. I'm particularly pleased with the piping on the edge of the hip plate reinforcement which is literally a thread of styrene 0.4 MM by 0.75 MM. Strips so fine as to be ephemeral when full strength ProWeld is applied. I used de-volatilized Proweld to keep it from disappearing. The cog components on the ankle quadrant (sic) are a gimmee.
Note that the strips on either side of the Bow-tie like trim which I presume serve some utilitarian function.
The Knee plate reinforcements are in progress at the moment............