What Scale Is Warhammer? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“What Scale is War Hammer??
    I’ve heard the question often, and the answer is a lot of different scales. But before I give you a useful answer, lets examine what exactly is scale and why there is so much confusion about scales.

WHAT IS SCALE?
    The size of a miniature, relative to what it is a replica of, is known as the scale of the figure. For a various reasons several systems are used to describe scale. Gamers primarily use X/XX (such as 1/35 or 1:35) and Xmm (such as 28mm) scales.

Some scales are given as a ratio, variously written as either a ratio (i.e., 1:35) or a fraction (1/35). The second number indicates how many units on the original equal one unit on the model.

Other scales are simply listed as a certain height, such as 25mm or 54mm. Most people usually think of this as being the height representing an average human (i.e., in 25mm scale, men are 25mm high), however some figure heights are measured to eye level, since measuring to the top of the head is impractical for figures wearing headgear. Therefore, when a manufacturer says his figures are 25mm scale, he might mean 25mm to top of the head or 25mm to eye level.

To complicate matters, recent lines of miniatures have taken to exaggerating the figure’s proportions and calling it ‘heroic’ scale, or bumping the height up a couple of millimeters. This can result in a 25mm heroic scale miniature being 28mm high. Manufacturers have been slowly making their figures a bit larger in recent years. The extra size gives more room for details, so that a large 15mm figure often looks sharper than a classic 15mm figure. GW and Reaper, two common lines of miniatures, have both moved into 28mm scale, and Rakham’s Confrontation line of miniatures is even larger, about 30mm in scale.

As a final note, even figures claim to be in the same scale may differ considerably in body build, head size, and general sculpting style - even when made by the same manufacturer! GW’s Middle Earth miniature line is a prime example of this. Some manufacturers see their goal as to make scale replicas, while others concentrate on making gaming pieces which are inexpensive, durable, or easy to paint. Plastic figures may be sculpted in a thinner style than metal figures. If you are concerned whether you can mix figures from different product lines or companies you may first want to order samples from the manufacturer.

This is a short table covering the primary range of miniature scales used by gamers, particularly WarHammer players, and comparison to models and model railroad scales. The scales are based on eye-level measurements.

SCALE EQUIVALENT
    Common Uses

1/107 15mm
    Pre-20th Century war gaming, also used for fantasy, science fiction, and 20th Century "skirmish-level" games

1/87 18.5mm
    Model railroad HO is "half O" scale. Many railroad, scenery, and armor models available in this scale

1/80.5 20mm
    Popular for skirmish-level 20th Century war gaming and science fiction

1/76 22.4mm
    Same as OO scale. Plastic miniatures and kits of aircraft, vehicles, and soldiers are available

1/72 22.4mm
    As above, though a slight bit larger

1/64 25mm
    Popular for fantasy, historical, skirmish, science fiction, and role-playing games. Same as railroad S gauge.

1/58 28mm
    Heroic or large 25mm figures sometimes listed as being 28mm

1/54 30mm
    Confrontation miniatures, as close as you can call for a mythical figure

1/48 33.5mm
    Popular scale for plastic aircraft kits. Some display figures available in this scale

1/43 37mm
    O scale in railroads

1/35 50mm
    Popular scale for plastic kits of armor. Occasionally used for modern gaming

1/30 54mm
    Toy soldier scale, recently arrived as GW Inquisitor miniatures

SOME BORING STUFF
    To mathematically convert ratio scales into height scales, assuming that height scales measure to "eye height" while ratio scales measure to "head height", divide 1610 by the scale. For example, 1/285 figures are about (1610 / 285 = 5.6) 6mm figures. The reverse is also true: to get ratio scale, divide 1610 by the height scale. Thus, 25mm figures are equivalent to (1610 / 25 = 64.4) 1/64. The 1610 comes from using the eye height of the average man, measured in millimeters, about 1610 mm or 5' 3" to the eye. So equivalent height and ratio scales, multiplied, should always result in the same constant. So what is the constant for a manufacturer who measures height scale to top of the head, rather than to eye level? In millimeters it would be 1730 or about 5' 8".

SO WHAT DO I BUY TO MATCH MY 40K STUFF?
    Another problem for 40K players is the figures are not the same scale as the vehicles. Of course that can be argued as the vehicles are imaginary, so they could be any size you want.

For terrain, buy what looks good. Railroad HO bridges make excellent walkways. HO trees make good saplings or shrubs. S and O buildings and scenery works well.

Plastic armor and accessory kits in 1/35 are the best for bits and accessories (cans, barrels, etc) but most of the vehicles are too large. I have used the M113 armored personnel carrier in 1/35 for rhinos very successfully. They are much closer to the proportions of the new rhino.

Your best bet is to look at the kit whenever possible, a buy it based on size and forget the scale.

2. Thanks F1rst_L0rd thanked for this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote an article on the subject a while back, I think after all the math and everything it was 1/35th. i took the measurements for the land raider given in the chapter approved that came out before the current one, and compaired them with actual measurements of the model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Microarmour - 6mmm - 1/300 - 1/285 is important enough to be included in this list.

Used primarily for modern, also sci fi (Epic, Dirtside) and fantasy (HOTT).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by HeXuS@Jan 20 2005, 16:34
    I wrote an article on the subject a while back, I think after all the math and everything it was 1/35th. i took the measurements for the land raider given in the chapter approved that came out before the current one, and compaired them with actual measurements of the model.
    [snapback]307483[/snapback]

Definately wrong.

1/60 is supposed to be close to correct but I don't think it really works.

For coven limosines (genestealer cult) I use 1/43rd scale and it fits great. Any larger or smaller would look wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info for anyone thinking of buying Railroad/Railway stuff for WH40K - 00 Gage/Scale is (almost) the same as H0 Gauge/Scale. milimeaters diffrent. 00 is british (so in the UK you are most likley to find 00) and HO is europian and american
    If it ain't broke, break it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid Memory.
    Thanks Wolfraider, being a railway modeller im hanging my head right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by rovens@Jan 26 2005, 198
    Yup, HO and OO are the same scale but the track gauge is different.
    [snapback]313232[/snapback]
    Uh....nope. You've got it backwards. HO gauge is 1:87 and OO gauge is 1:76 - both scales use exactly the same gauge.

But I have seen many 1/72 scale figures sold as HO/OO scale, and in the UK OO tends to be even closer than the small difference in the US. Many of the UK vendors advertise their models as HO/OO scale. My chart above is US scales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably seem dumb asking this question but in the chaos codex it says a model with D. stature needs to be at least 10 tall. Is this in centimetres or some other measurement?

P.S. If it is another measurement can you tell me it in c.m. please?

zeus
    Fear The Wrath Of The ANZAC Clan!
    All Bow For The Anime Clan!
    When did I realise I was God?
    Well one day I was praying and I realised...
    I was talking to myself!
    Primarch Of The Iron Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah, it means 10 feet, providing it was a real living thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

It's says that he should be modeled so he seems to be 10 feet tall compared to normal sized models.
    Last edited by Vindkall; December 8th, 2005 at 11:30.
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"

Of Trui and Gay

A Chaos Space Marines Diary

Svenska Rackham Sidan

troopseses!

LinkBacks (?)

1. April 21st, 2014, 18:48
  2. March 12th, 2014, 15:10
  3. February 12th, 2014, 17:50
  4. February 10th, 2014, 09:59
  5. November 24th, 2013, 13:49
  6. September 17th, 2012, 19:54
  7. September 4th, 2012, 13:16