Shoggoth - Regenerating Gunfex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

Shoggoth - Regenerating Gunfex

After the Tars Tarkus carnifex conversion, I had yet another carnifex rolling around in my head. Most of this one was based on eyes on stalks and also something on the carapace to represent regeneration. So was reborn Shoggoth (I have often had a carnifex nicknamed such). It took me a bit to figure out how to make the eyes (and three test heads), but I am pretty happy with the results. The feeder arm from the body to the wrist is entirely greenstuff, because I was tired of hacking up the smaller monstrous creature scything talon and wanted to see if I could do it.

Playwise, he should be interesting. The regeneration and extended carapace should make him a pretty durable gunfex. Enemies will have to devote plenty of firepower at once to taking him out. And, with a cover save, he still has a decent chance of seeing the next turn and some regeneration rolls.

I am using an older digital camera that is less capable than my usual one, so the pics are of lower quality than normal. Shoggoth awaits primer:

Further images:

http://www.badmovies.org/wh40k/tyranids/shoggoth2.jpg

http://www.badmovies.org/wh40k/tyranids/shoggoth3.jpg

http://www.badmovies.org/wh40k/tyranids/shoggoth4.jpg

http://www.badmovies.org/wh40k/tyranids/shoggoth5.jpg

http://www.badmovies.org/wh40k/tyranids/shoggoth6.jpg

Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

im digging the eyes, nice conversion, also i really like that you used green stuff to make the carnifex look smooth down the middle, ive seen people not do it, and well, its not pretty
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I really like those eyes and the model overall is very good, the pics arer fine too. Post some pics when it's painted. I have to say the most impressive part is the ammo/acid feed arm you made out of green stuff. It looks just like the way a Tyranid arm should be, I imagine when it is painted people will think it was an original plastic part and not made of green stuff. It would be nice to see painted pics for that part in particular, I am interested to see how convincing it turns out to be.

Are you planning on giving the eyes any details when you paint them such as pupil, iris or doing them in a particular way that fits with your style and the rest of your swarm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

man, that arm is good, i wish my gs skilles were like that *sigh* but their not

still, great model, and im diggin the eyes, really cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet
    THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY LIES IN MY PANTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

short and sweet, eh terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

Thanks.

Try as I have (I have built about 10 of the new carnifexes now), I cannot get them to glue together without running into seams. I have tried clamps, rubber bands, carefully cutting away plastic in places that seem to be affecting the fit, and even good old "holding it for an hour while I watch a movie" - none have worked. The only way I've found to get a decent fix is to use the green stuff.

I am going to play around with the detail on the eyes, as I do not know what will look best. Since I have 2 test heads kicking around, using 1 of them as a test painting head is my plan. Right now, without the testing, I am thinking about a slotted pupil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

788 (x8)

Seriously, how do you get green stuff so clean, accurate and amazinglike that? It's not fair. When i try and play with greenstuff it's like a monkey on cocaine has been smearing faeces all over the place.
    How do you do it man?
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say... that is one nice Carnifex. I give luck to the person who attempts to blast it into oblivion.

"Sarge, It's a.... Thingie! Attack the Thingie!"
    "All right, men! Bring the autocannon to bear!"
    DAKKA DAKKA
    "It's still walking! It's bleeding on me! Ahhh!"
    "Don't mind Johnson, men... He's just dying."
    If terrorists ask you "Do you have a bullet through your head?" say proudly, with dignity, "No, I do not. Go fish."

Catalysts of Iron/Iron Warriors 0/0/0

Soldiers of the Forge Worlds Clan Founder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Seriously, how do you get green stuff so clean, accurate and amazinglike that? It's not fair. When i try and play with greenstuff it's like a monkey on cocaine has been smearing faeces all over the place.
    How do you do it man?
    Try playing with greenstuff after different periods of letting it dry. I tend to put it in place and get a rough shape, then smooth it and add detail 20 or 30 minutes later. It becomes less sticky and better at holding the detail as it cures. I also work in stages. Making the eyes took a few stages. I made the eyeballs and eyestalks at the same time. Then I put the eyeballs into the sockets. Then I attached the stalks to the head and the eyes to the stalks. Last, I blended the stalks to the head and the eyes to the stalks.

Use plenty of water on your tools or fingers to keep the greenstuff from sticking. You can also use vaseline, but then you have to remove that before adding more layers. The vaseline will get on the greenstuff and then it will not stick or accept another layer well. I also use clay shapers, which are little size 0 tools with flexible silicone or rubber tips. Those help a lot with getting the greenstuff smooth. And, you can also smooth it out some by warming the piece with a desk lamp. The bulbs get pretty hot and greenstuff will smooth out when heated. You just cannot heat it too much or any detail you sculpted could be ruined.

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 25th, 2008, 13:45