<2000 1500 point Necron tournie army, need advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point Necron tournie army, need advice.

Hi there. I'm new to forum writing, so if my writing's hard to follow any feedback would be great.

HQ

Phaeron Thutep
    Necron Overlord 90pts.
    - Warscythe 10pts.
    - Mindshackle Scarabs 15pts.
    - Phase Shifter 45pts.
    - Command Barge with Gauss Cannon. 80pts.

Royal Court

Osi'nor
    Necron Lord 35 pts.
    - Warscythe 10pts.
    - Resurrection Orb 30pts.

Ilos
    Cryptek 25 pts.
    - Harbinger of Despair 5pts.
    - Veil of Darkness 30pts.

Set
    Cryptek 25 pts.
    - Harbinger of Destruction 10pts.
    - Solar Pulse 20pts.

Elites

Shadow Sect delegation
    5 Deathmarks 95 pts.

Troops

Oruscari Leigon

20 Necron Warriors 260pts.

Ward of Set
    9 Necron Warriors 117pts.
    - Ghost Ark 115pts.

Ilos' Guards
    5 Immortals 85pts.

Thutep's Agents
    5 Immortals 85pts.
    - Telsa Carbines

Fast Attack

5 Scarab Bases 75pts.

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder 60pts.
    - Fabricator Claw Array

Scourging Sun
    Doomsday Ark 175pts.

Total; 1497 pts

The aim here is to create a 1500 point tournament list good against as many opponents and missions as possible

To capture objectives I have 4 troop choices. One is in a Ghost Ark, and one is joined by the Harbinger of Despair (joining the Gauss-weilding-Immortals) who can use the Veil to deep strike them near or onto an objective (in theory)

Against hordes I use the Doomsday Ark and a large amount of necron warrior gauss weapons to thin their numbers (the Necron Lord in the 20 strong unit makes them more durable with the Resurrection Orb). Also, the repair abilities of the Ghost Ark will help keep them on their feet (in theory). The Deathmarks are sent after particularly threatening units when appropriate (such Space Marine devestators, Dark Reapers, Imperial Guard Command Squads, Individual Carnifexes etc...). I take a similar approach against elites, except I play more defensively.

I would say the whole army is anti-tank, due to Gauss Weapons, 3 Monstrous creatures (The Overlord on Command Barge, the Necron Lord, and the Canoptek Spyder), and Entroptic Strike on the Scarabs, but there are a few units specifically picked for taking out tanks;
    Long Range: Doomsday Cannon Str 9 72' inches Ap 2, Eldritch Lance Str 8 36' inches Ap 2
    Short Range: 5 Scarab bases, and the aforementioned Monstrous Creatures

This army is lacking in CC, but this army is geared more around elimanating or softening the enemy up with shooting, though my Overlord on Command Barge can support a unit in assault (using the Barge's speed to get where he's needed in time).

I am new to using the new necrons, so any advice would be appreciated. If it helps to know this my usual opponents in 40k are Space Marines (of all chapters, chaos too), Imperial Guard, Orks and Dark Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

dont post individual points man! its'a baaaaaaad.

from my own personal experience with newcrons, several units are not as good as you think.
    Deathmarks are only good against monstrous creatures i find, they are a bit of a waste, despite looking rad as hell.
    (unless you're fighting a demon army, absolutely insanely amazing)

you need some wraiths, i'd put myself on the line and say they are THE BEST unit in any cron army when used right.
    rid-ik-u-LOWS!

doomsday arks, would be good in larger games i believe, from experience, they are mint for taking out troops if it doesn't scatter, but it's just not reliable enough.
    i'd scrap that, take two annihilation barges instead.

cryptek's SUCK! i find no use for them in any list unless you're flicking ya torch with the addition of the cron that is Imotehk, dragon born...KUUUTCHAAAA!

scrap em and take another unit of immortals or something. you know what, I'm kind so ill right you a list based of your one, from my experience against marines and demons death wing and space wolves, 4 interesting armies. no idea how'd this do against a swarmish army but against guard, i reckon it'd do alright i suppose! ANYHOO!

HQ

Necron Overlord
    - Warscythe
    - Mindshackle Scarabs
    - Phase Shifter
    - res orb 190

Elites

5x lychgaurd + shields swords 225

Troops
    10 Necron Warriors 130

10 Necron Warriors 130
    - Ghost Ark 115

10 Immortals 170
    - Telsa Carbines

Fast Attack

5 Scarab Bases 75

canoptek wraiths x 4 180

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder x 2 100

Annihilation Barge 90

Annihilation Barge 90

Total; 1495

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

oh snap! and man, you need a triarch stalker! those things are so helpful, shoot em first at your priority enemy unit/veichle, all you gotta do is hit once with the sucka and then your whole army count as Twin linked when shootin that one unit. splatttarr.

FIT EM IN!

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by XenosSavant View Post
    Hi there. I'm new to forum writing, so if my writing's hard to follow any feedback would be great.

HQ

Phaeron Thutep
    Necron Overlord 90pts.
    - Warscythe 10pts.
    - Mindshackle Scarabs 15pts.
    - Phase Shifter 45pts.
    - Command Barge with Gauss Cannon. 80pts.

Royal Court

Osi'nor
    Necron Lord 35 pts.
    - Warscythe 10pts.
    - Resurrection Orb 30pts.

Ilos
    Cryptek 25 pts.
    - Harbinger of Despair 5pts.
    - Veil of Darkness 30pts.

Set
    Cryptek 25 pts.
    - Harbinger of Destruction 10pts.
    - Solar Pulse 20pts.

Elites

Shadow Sect delegation
    5 Deathmarks 95 pts.

Troops

Oruscari Leigon

20 Necron Warriors 260pts.

Ward of Set
    9 Necron Warriors 117pts.
    - Ghost Ark 115pts.

Ilos' Guards
    5 Immortals 85pts.

Thutep's Agents
    5 Immortals 85pts.
    - Telsa Carbines

Fast Attack

5 Scarab Bases 75pts.

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder 60pts.
    - Fabricator Claw Array

Scourging Sun
    Doomsday Ark 175pts.

Total; 1497 pts

Right, I'll give some completely different advice. Firstly, I don't think the Overlord needs a Phase Shifter, especially as he's a bargelord, that will save you 45 points to start with. After that, I think you should at least try out a Phaeron instead of a Bargelord, as the Relentless on the 20 Warriors makes them that much more useful/reliable. I'm not saying you should as definite, as Bargelords are amazing, but give it some thought. If you do do that, then drop the orb-lord and give your the orb to your overlord instead, then put in a Transmog Cryptek with a Seismic Crucible, this saves our asses from assaults soooo well.

I will agree with Cortez and say that personally, unless you're taking them with a Despair-tek with veil so he can wound on 2s with his Ap1 flamer, ditch the Deathmarks. However, I will disagree with him and say that if you aren't taking Crypteks in your army, you're doing it wrong. The Veil-tek will work better, IMHO, with a larger unit of Immortals, for more firepower/survivability/etc, and the Solar Pulse will help to cover your scarabs as they run up and eat a tank before they are predictably targeted and destroyed, as well as cover your doomsday ark. However, I would consider dropping the Doomsday Ark, as I think they are pretty much wasted points. If you're worrying about hordes, then take in it's place 5 Tomb Blades with Particle Beamers (These units are IMO one of the most underrated units in the codex, these things can reliably destroy a mob of 30 orks a turn) as you'll have 25 points left over from the Ark. You can make some of the suggested changes to your own list, or you can use one of the 2 example lists, see which one you prefer:

List 1 - Phaeron-Duty Overlord and more static firebase

HQ
    Overlord - Warscythe, MSS, Res orb, Phaeron - 165

Royal Court
    Cryptek - Transmog, Crucible - 40
    Cryptek - Destruction, Pulse - 55
    Cryptek - Despair, Veil - 60

Troops
    20 Warriors - 260
    9 Warriors - Ghost Ark - 232
    10 Immortals - 170

Elites
    Triarch Stalker

Fast Attack
    3 Tomb Blades - Particle Beamers - 90
    3 Tomb Blades - Particle Beamers - 90

Heavy Support
    Annihilation Barge
    Annihilation Barge

Total - 1492

List 2 - Bargelord and Fast Support group

HQ
    Bargelord - Warscythe, MSS - 195

Royal Court:
    Lord - Scythe, Orb - 75
    Cryptek - Despair, Veil - 60
    Cryptek - Destruction, Pulse - 55

Troops
    20 Warriors - 260
    9 Warriors - Ghost Ark - 232
    10 Immortals - 170

Fast Attack
    10 Scarabs - 150
    6 Wraiths - 3 Whip Coils - 240

Heavy Support
    1 Spyder - Claw - 60

Total - 1497

The first list would be played more conservatively, you stay relatively static, with tomb blades travelling to where needed. Second plays more aggressively, with the scarabs, bargelord and wraiths moving up under pulse cover and being supported by the teleporting immortals and the slower moving warrior block. In either list, if you feel you want some more troops choices, take off 1 tomb blade and/or a few warriors from the Ark squad and fit a 5-man squad in which stays in reserve and walks on late game to grab home objective. Tell me what you think of either =)
    NMP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I agree with pretty much everything NMP just said, except for the part about...
    Quote Originally Posted by Non Marine Player View Post
    If you do do that, then drop the orb-lord and give your the orb to your overlord instead
    Do NOT give the Orb to an Overlord when you have access to a Court Lord! Both would function identically in the shooting phase, however the OL can be singled out in close combat -- the preferred way for most armies to deal with blobs of 15+ Warriors. If you do decide to play test the Phaeron in place of the Bargelord, I suggest running:

Overlord
    + Phaeron, Warscythe, Mindshackle
    Lord
    + Warscyche, Mindshackle, Res Orb.
    Warriors
    + 15-20x Warriors
    Plus, if you ever run two Overlords, a Cryptek of your choice (I suggest either Destruction with Gaze, or Transmog with Crucible)

With only one Royal Court, however, I would prefer Scythe and Shackle spam in the unit over a Gazetek or Transmogtek. It's enough to allow you to actually WIN combat, not just delay the inevitable.

Cheers!
    Last edited by BossGorestompa; February 19th, 2012 at 21:13.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

Ah, very good, missed that little trick, rep for you sir =)

8. Thanks BossGorestompa thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advice. Out of those two, I like the first list better, it will also provide some interesting opportunites for converting a unit of Tomb Blades. As I said I am new to Necrons and I will definetly try out your ideas, they look awesome. However I would like to say the reason I gave the Overlord a Phase Shifter was in case I got him to assault and found out that there were some Power Weapons lurking in the enemy unit (especially if I'm versing Grey Knights or Dark Eldar). If I come up with some alternate ideas using your suggestions I'll post them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I am particularly fond of NMP's suggestions for Tomb Blades. I seriously love the unit, and the only reason I don't include them in my lists is because they don't have models yet. Unfortunately, I probably won't field them in the future either, if they're anything like Eldar Guardian Jetbikes or our Destroyers now ($15-25 ea) as I find that too costly for a single unit. If they follow the way of DE Reavers, then hells yeah! But that $4-9 difference per model makes all the difference when you're paying back student loans >.>

At any rate, I digress.. If you're fond of the Tomb Blades as well, I would seriously consider testing out the Phaeron, as you would be set up to run a mad decent no-mech list -- and that's pretty unique!

Quote Originally Posted by Non Marine Player View Post
    Ah, very good, missed that little trick, rep for you sir =)
    Why, thank you very much

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by BossGorestompa View Post
    I am particularly fond of NMP's suggestions for Tomb Blades.
    Thanks man, they are such a good unit I don't think anyone should pass them over. I'd give you a rep, as I do with anyone who compliments me, but you'll have to wait, I've over-repped you as it is =P

As for the Phase Shifter, I would say that you should only include it if you find you have points to fill that you'd rather not buy more models for, I'd never make points for something as that detracts from the effectiveness of the rest of your army usually.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

291 (x5)

I could find it reasonable to take a Phase Sifter on a Court Lord holding a Res Orb if you face an opponent who has circumstances where the Lord could be singled out (Vindicaire, Bargelord flyovers, psychic powers (don't know if there are any that allow saves, though (hey look, a parenthetical within a parenthetical within a parenthetical))). Otherwise, there's almost always something better to take for the 45 points.

Also, that's alright, I've had enough rep for one day too much and it'll go to my head