So I heard the Winter Olympics are on... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

So I heard the Winter Olympics are on...

Hi all!

So, I was just sort of idly wondering how much interest there is about the Winter Olympics here on LO, and I guess the only way to find out is to start a thread about it!

Although, given there wasn't one already, that could be an indication...

Anyway, what do people think so far? I was really quite impressed with the opening ceremony - it's always somewhat interesting to see how a country chooses to portray itself, how they compress so many years of history and such a vast land into 40 minutes or so while also seeking to entertain, but I thought they did a very spectacular job.

And the competition so far is interesting as well. I'm not sure if coverage varies across different countries, but here in Australia they've shown some speed-skating (long and short course), freestyle skiing and the Luge runs. They've mentioned the biathlon but I don't think much of it (aside from a highlights package) was put to air.

So, what does everyone else think so far?

Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There having touble this year and theres not much snow up there they have canceled events and moved them back a couple of days also a guy from the country georgia died when he was warming up before an event i always like watching the X-games its wintersports they had snowmobile trick contest 360 flips on a snowmobile is alsome . A US guy took silver in a sort of cross country race
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

They are awesome! Nothing has been cancelled yet, just postphoned. I live just across the water from Vancouver and it never usually has snow. Whistler has lots of snow, but bad weather are holding things up.

It was a terrible accident that happened to the Georgian luger. He was going 144km per hour wiped out and hit a metal pole.

Go Canada go!!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    Go Canada go!!
    all together now, as the women's hockey has begun and the men's is soon set to start;

EH. OH. CANADA GO!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

I'm sort of doom and gloomy about it. I think we (-also lives in BC-) never should've gotten the hideously overpriced silly thing, but... eh, hopefully it'll turn out alright. At least better than the Montreal Olympics. >>;

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Got to see some figure skating today - they had the worst commentator on the broadcast I had to watch, she just seemed so critical of everything! I mean I know that's what the judges will be like as well but still, you're still watching the best skaters in the world here! Give them a bit of slack!

Australia got a Silver in the Moguls! Good to see Canada get the gold there - the crowd seemed really happy about it, too!

The Luge final was pretty tense as well - I feel sorry for the poor guy who ended up in fourth, I think it was. The look on his face when he lost the top spot - not a happy man.

I personally quite like the Winter Olympics - for two weeks we get to see something other than Australian Rules Football or Cricket on our TVs, which is a refreshing change. And because it only happens every four years I don't get sick of seeing it!

But on the other hand it is a bit hard to get involved, because winter sports aren't really a big thing unless perhaps you live in a state that gets snow more often than a freak fall once every ten years or so.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Well, I'm not terribly big on sports anyways. I'm just muttering about it because about how much this is probably going to cost BC. >w>;

But still, that doesn't mean you're not allowed to enjoy the show. (I'll just be happy once they stop airing all these Olympic commercials telling me what a wonderful time this is...)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

They just showed the German figure skaters who were dressed as clowns! Oh, they were funny! Also quite good, it seems.

I can share a little of your pain, Pixie. Because this Dale Begg-Smith guy only came second, our TV coverage now entirely consists or replays of his final run versus the Canadian's final run, while whoever they can put in front of a camera goes through how Dale was ROBBED OF A MEDAL AND ALL CANADIANS ARE FILTHY CHEATS!

I really get the feeling that's that they want to shout, but it would be a bit inflammatory. Enough with the re-runs, show me something that hasn't already happened! More clowns on ice skates I say!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Pretty much 24 hour coverage in a winter country (Norway) right now, so I'm enjoying it. I like the coverage here a lot more to the Australian coverage, much more covered here, with two channels competing for the most views

Gotta hope Aussie win gold, but the only chance they have (apart from the Moguls) is if a Bradbury happens again like in the 2002 olympics
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

452 (x8)

I'm not a huge olympics fan, but i've seen a few events. All I can say is thank god we won a gold medal, that other two times we hosted the olympics we didn't get any gold, it was embarassing.

Also why did they give BC the games? Out of all our provinces they get the least snow! Events have bees postponed because of it.

Also I saw part of one of our womens hockey games, after the 1st period it was 7-0, my friend says he score at the end was 18-0 and that the other team only got 9 shots...

GO CANADA

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast