I'd post this in 40K but for the Fluff Nazis jumping down my throat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jboweruk

I'd post this in 40K but for the Fluff Nazis jumping down my throat

I just aquired myself a company of Catachans real cheap. Now although I use 40K rules, I don't use their fluff, I have my own story line, with my own changes, and planets and other tweaks (Hence the fluff nazis jumping on me because my marines are just well trained ordinary soldiers in power armour, no genetic crap and all species/sexes).

So to fit in with my rather more like Warhammer 3K campaign, set in the very near future of 2011, I decided to make my catachan the first Company in the Regiment known as the 1st Terrans, aka "The Misfits"

I started painting them in US colours, that is to say camo'd up, but some are wearing Stars and Stripes items, or tattoos etc. I have created my own fluff for Colonel Strachan, even down to how he got his bionics, and making him a US Marine Colonel.

Their motto is : Porro in iunctus, which is latin for Forward in Unity, to match with the whole 1 Earth, 1 Army deal. Eventually I hope to do a complete Company of Cadians, finish this company off to infantry with a last Platoon, then add a Tank Company and a fast attack Company. This will only create a Battalion, but that will at least bring it up to the size of my other armies, all of which are Apocalypse sized.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I see no problem with it. I've seen plenty of 40k armies based on real military units, from the present or past. There's nothing to say that the Emperor's 'Terra' wasn't Earth at one point anyways (although he did wreck nations, so no Stars-and-Stripes).

My SM are based loosely on the Marines 1/6. They have red and gold livery, they follow the same esprit de corps and traditional "first in, last out" and "stick and kick" mentality that the marines do. Some of their notable battles mirror the famous battles of the 1/6th.

My friends and I attended a mega-battle out of state in Maryland once, and we each took a Company Command with a banner. The banners were done up with the same scheme as the Hanover Rifles, which was the Revolutionary War-era regiment functioning in our area. The iconograpgy was changed, but the colors and motto were the same. It tied us all together and gave us something to talk about with other gamers (we also fought as a well-organized team, and did a great job)
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

jboweruk

Yeah, but apparently because I play a different era and have female marines I'm not playing 40K..... Don't know what I am playing because that's what the rule book says it is..

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Okay, at the risk of turning this post into a carbon copy of the last one you started, I will say this: If you stick to the army lists and wysiwyg, nothing you do should be a problem. But this is starting to smell like trolling.

jboweruk

Actually I started this thread so that I can post a link when I take the photos. And came here to avoid the likes of people who said they aren't interested, if they aren't interested then stay away from my thread, it's that simple. I posted here because I wasn't welcome in the 40K forums, they obvisously aren't about the game 40k they are about the fluff. So I respectfully request that you return to your friends there and leave my posts alone.
    Last edited by jboweruk; April 27th, 2010 at 11:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem isn't what you've made up as a background for your army, the problem is that some people will always object if you then still refer to it as 40K.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    ...although he did wreck nations, so no Stars-and-Stripes.
    This brought a little smile to my face.

jboweruk

But you can't get away from the fact that is what the RULES are called, like it or not. Whatever your fluff if you pick up that rulebook, you're playing Warhammer 40k, it's an inescapeable fact of the rules. I didn't want to start an argument, that's why I came here.

What was worse was guys like Mantis getting personal, and trying to psycho analyse me. The only thing worse than a psychologist, is somebody who tries to be one. We've already ascertained I'm not playing what you call '40k', which is why I'm posting here and not in the 40k forums. Like I said, if you don't like it, then you don't have to read it....

But in answer to your statement about it not being 40k then what exactly is it? As it is the 40k rules I use. And as GW state in their own legal bits, you can use whatever fluff/canon you like with their rules and models. Whether or not it's their own fluff/canon.
    Last edited by jboweruk; April 27th, 2010 at 21:59.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Woah. I was going to post a bit about how it's understandable if people have a problem with you presenting Non-fluff elements. Then I went and double-checked your other thread since you mentioned Mantis trying to psychoanalyze you. Firstly, he wasn't- he was analyzing the marketing ideas behind the game, although he does have a tendency to toe the line with "being nice" to people.

More importantly- why are you restarting this fight in a general discussion thread? I don't really play 40k that much anymore because it has a tendency to drag in the young, and with that, all of the stereotypically immature crowds that I've chosen not to deal with (besides, I hate the ruleset and only enjoy it for the Fluff).

I posted an agreement, saying that it was cool how you are making a 31st millenium army (I love the preheresy marine conversions), and telling you that I've also seen people pull fluff elements from real-life (GW fluff is full of this- Valhallans are WW2 Russians, for example). I popped up my own experience with the same. Suddenly, instead of replying with a thank you, or waiting for some more repsonses, you immediately turn the topic back to
    "well, I didn't want people to be mad because my fluff doesn't agree with 40k"
    and all of the hideous arguing that entailed in your thread:
    "You Know... I Got to Thinking [that people get mad because my fluff doesn't agree with 40k]"

Now, you may not have intended to troll, but you took what could have been a nice thread about armies based on real life events, and redirected towards a horrible thread where people are arguing over GW fluff rules. And worst of all, you stuck it in the General Discussion section (depsite it belonging in the 40k Fluff section) where you knew it would be higher profile.
    Personally, I feel duped.
    As a member of the boards though, I'd just close the thread before it got ugly.

I've noticed that this kind of activity is increasing. I've been on LO for a long time, and I've never seen as much flaming, illiteracy, or trolling, as I've seen in recent months. What happened, did Bolter-And-Chainsword get shut down or something, and now we're getting all the dregs? Even me- I've been swearing in every 2-3 threads, and haven't been warned or had any of it edited. When's the last time we banned somebody, I think a Mod needs to polish off his hammer somewhere...
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

jboweruk

Sorry, I should've thanked you, but it wasn't your post I aimed at, it was the one made after that. Where I got accused of Trolling. Like I said, I can't post it in 40k because my fluff just doesn't match theirs. I'm sorry, but while I do like their fluff for what it is, I've had a story line going for a bit longer than 40k has been around. Sure I like the models, and I do like the rules. I never intended this thread to go where the other one went and if I knew how to close a thread I'd've locked the other one before Mantis got the last comment. So if there's any mods watching please do me a favour and close this thread. Before it turns ugly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're still failing to understand the separation between TT rules and fluff. Also, I don't really see why people are getting all offended, this has to be the tamest argument the internet has ever witnessed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast