'To Do' list before turning 30 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'To Do' list before turning 30

Im going to turn 30 in a few years and that sortof freaks me out because it doesnt seem far off at all and it makes me think there is certain things I should have done with my life and have under control by that age.. So to that end im coming up with a 'to do' list to finish before turning 30. All ive thought of so far is:

1. Go travelling to some exotic locations like Egypt, Jordan, India, Mongolia and also I want to see the wilds of Canada
    2. Be in a job where I look forward to going to work (or at the least be in a job I dont strongly dislike!)
    3. Be as fit and healthy as I possibly can be
    4. Get a massacre victory with my Night gob army against my mates god damned WE - heh

What would you guys put on your list??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

For me, it's stamps in my passport. I got a passport this last year for the first time for a rather simple trip up to Canada (just hopped across the border to Niagara Falls for a couple days). But getting an actual passport felt like some kind of revelation. It made me want to travel more, see more, do more. So I guess one of my 'bucket list' goals is to have (at least in ratio) one stamp for every page in my passport before it expires (so I'd be almost thirty then myself).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    414 (x8)

Travel as much as possible. I've reached 30 now, but I still try. What about backpacking, that sounds pretty cool too ?
    Blackhat's new blog network for terrain crafters!
    www.terraincrafters.com

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Haha, I only just turned 20 this february, so don't laugh if my list seems absurd. A lot of these are things to do before I'm 25, but that comes before 30, so it counts right??

1. Move out of this damned house- living with my parents until I can "get on my feet", but if my mom has anything to do with it, that'll be never.

2. Finish College as a Highschool English teacher- a personal dream of mine, but I was pretty much forced to drop out forthe time being.

3. Go on a Surfing expedition with my friend- hit Australia, Japan, Hawaii

4. Marry my dreamgirl- Blackhat's avatar will do just fine (any of them) if my current lover should leave me.

5. Move out of the Continental US- Hawaii or Australia, and not for the surfing, but just for being away from all of the absurdity. I really dislike my country. It's like being associated with a moron- everyone judges you by the company you keep, and well... it's not good company here.

6. Enlarge my library- I want to be able to fill a room of my house with book-cases, like a mini public library, except just for me.

7. Master the guitar- I'm learning to play already, but feebly. I play so many instruments, but I am worst at the guitar right now.

8. Be fit, healthy, happy, and loved- I want to be a family man, maybe not by the time I'm 30, but certainly in my life. I want to be healthy and fit, rather than going to waste. Essentially, everything my father never was for himself, me, or my mother, I want to be for myself, my children, and my wife. So far, so good.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXqa13wyaJE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I am almost 30 now, and I feel so old

things that I haven't done so far, and must be done before 30:
    1. get married

2. having my own house (a big house for a family)

3. run a property business

I guess only all three that matter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

So, I thought I'd expand my thoughts a little here, and maybe give someone else a chance to post who hasn't seen this yet or whatever.

1.) As I previously mentioned, I want to travel. Not just because it's fun or whatever, but I'm a firm believer in living life in such a way that you obtain as many different experiences as you can. Now, I'm still very much working on turning this idea into action in my own life, and frankly, spending less time working on and thinking about 40K stuff is a part of that, as well as all other kinds of nerdy activities. I started it this stuff because it was fun, I lived in a town where nothing happens after 8 PM and, well, I don't, I suppose also it was the crowd I was with at the time. And part of me still very much loves the nerdy stuff, but I also want to do more, to see more of the world, maybe volunteer in some far off places. I want to know more than just my one or two home towns. I want to know how people in other countries live and how they think. I want to obtain a lot of experience, I want to know about things, to be the one with the stories who's actually done things. One of my goals in this category is to sort of use my passport as a progress report, it basically expires a bit before I turn thirty, so if I have a bunch of stamps in it, then I'll know that I at least did something according to plan.

2.) Another, quite similar goal of mine is to develop hobbies and pastimes that are more constructive/positive than sitting around and 'nerd'ing all the time, though I'll probably be a life long 40Ker I don't want to have a life of only 40K (or similar things like videogames, etc.) As I'm becoming more physically fit and trimming down I'm opening myself up to newer, greater opportunities like doings things outdoors (camping, maybe hiking if I'm really desparate) and I paticularly want to get into boarding (surfing, snowboarding, as well as more water sports in general). I'd much rather get up early and go surfing on a Saturday than sleep in, drive to the hobby store and spend time with strange looking dudes who haven't showered in 2+ days (and No, that's not the good kind of 2+ Sv). As I progress in school I'm going to try to write more (both fiction and screen plays) and to even force myself to makes some short films or music videos (I'm a perfectionist, so amateur attempts by friends frustrate me quickly). Right now I'm slowly pecking at piano and might grab myself a second-hand drum set or guitar in th near-ish future.

3.) Chill out about life and love, and just work on becoming the kind of person I want to be. I suppose this one is more personal and most won't care, but eh, whatever. I've got done with whole process of a young love disaster (that is the 2.5 year roller coaster relationship, followed by traumatic break up period, followed by harrowing withdrawl from 'first love wanna-be' syndrome, and then at last the slow and gradual recovery from suicidal-ish, to depression, to mild apathy, and then the glorious day when you wake up and feel just a little bit good, etc.). And while now, I wish I hadn't have stayed in something like that so long, I have grown much and learned a lot. And one of the things I learned is that there's no sense in rushing love/marriage/passion - there's so much that I want to do in my life before I settle down and start taking on that kind of responsibility. So, for the moment, I'm trying as hard as I can to supress that idiotic romantic side of my self and just learn to live and mature and have fun. And while I might have some relationships along the way, I'm going to do all that I can to keep them light-hearted and just focusing on enjoying the moment. (Speaking purely emotionally there, not meaning anything physical - and yes, as you've just learned, I am in fact a loser).

And there I suppose are my three big goals for the next few years. I hope it wasn't too bad to read, though it was a bit theraputic for me so I can't complain. Cheers guys.

EDIT: After thinking on this post for a few minutes, I decided to mention a song that gives me some inspiration in a way. (Disclaimer, no-homo) But the song "Drops of Jupiter" by Train always sort of reassures me to hang in there and keep trying to reach the above ideals I mentioned, because one day I might be the kind of interesting/well traveled person like the one sung about in the song, though the song has other interpretations as well.
    Last edited by hotspike18; May 16th, 2010 at 05:23.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

Oh you know the usual things people aspire to, like travelling to the moon, deep-sea diving to a depth of 5000 ft, flying solo around the world in a hot air balloon...

No not really. We all need to look at what the reality is in front of us. But this should not be able to stop us from dreaming, and doing anything to achieve those dreams. The truth of it all is that there are many factors that ultimate halt us in our pursuit for adventure, for freedom and for aspiration, but in the end, one always has a choice.

For me:

1) Achieving my dream job as an Aerospace Engineer

2)Playing in a Symphonic Orchestra anywhere in the world

3) Travelling around the world (seems to be the norm here)

4) Paying back everyone I know who has taken the time to teach me what they know and show me that which they do not

Strong dreams but they should work.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great responses guys, its really good to get others perspectives on their 'to do' lists--

CaptainSarathai - about the surfing, im in Western Australia, the waves are great, the sand is the purest white and the chicks are smoking hot so hopefully you do get to travel here on a surfing expedition some day! Good list Hotspike -- that first nightmare breakup is something heaps of blokes go through and believe it or not you will look back at it someday and be relieved that you got to branch out and experience a lot more in life than you would have if you stuck with the first love- you also get a chance to put yourself first for once and develop into an independant and strong person.. When I see guys who havent gone through it I really feel like they are the ones who have missed out on experiencing life to the fullest (how D&Mish, but its true)

And travel it is, im heading to UK in a few months (not as exotic as the places i mentioned but hey, I may as well get the travel ball rolling with an easy start!!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x8)

Im turning 30 in a couple of months and strangely I don't feel in such a rush to do stuff, as I realise that actually 30 isn't that old!

I remember thinking when I was 15 that by the time I was thirty i'd be married with kids, and all that sort of thing but as it happens I havent and seeing a lot of my close friends with these things has reinforced in my mind that im just not ready.

Its good to have goals though and i think things like getting a career you enjoy and you find fulfilling is really important (at least I can check that one!) but also expanding your mind, and travelling whenever possible really helps and is something everyone should do- meet people from other cultures and experience things you couldnt do at home.

@dahellScreamClan- when are you travelling to the UK? if its in August you should pop down to the UK Meet in Warhammer World, Nottingham!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

@daHellscreamClan - Thanks for your words sir. I promise I'm not as stressed over it all as my last post in this thread made it sound. Like you said, I'm glad to have the experience now as I can appreciate my freedom and just life overall a fair bit more. Oddly enough I ran into my ex just a couple days ago after not speaking for a year or two, it was nice to feel normal and just be 'ok' with it - surprisingly she seemed much more uncomfortable than I was.

@Sir Theobold - What do you for your career? Lately that's been one of my biggest struggles, trying to find out what I should be finishing school for and how I'm going to spend the next few years.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast