Warhammer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warhammer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Habbit, Hobby or Compulsion:
    A Confessional Treatise on Maslow's Inverted Hiearchy of Warhammer Recovery

I started this game as a game, and not as a hobby. Now, of course, I'm drawn deeply into the hobby and enjoying learning to paint and model.

Initially however, I found myself weirdly obssessing with the game: I rehearsed and interpreted rules in my head, reread rulebooks and codexes at night, painted nightly, and played every chance I could get.

I reduced the amount that I read and shifted some of the money I'd usually spend buying books over to purchasing hobby supplies. I found days of the week that I'd be able ot play, trying to schedule games on days and nights when my fiance (with whom I live) would herself occupied.

I'm staring to mellow out and work and play in a less frenetic fashion.

Have you all experienced similar phases or experiences?

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

Definitely, you're not alone ther David! When I began Warhammer, I read and re-read the BRB and the O&G book to such an extent that I can make army lists now and plan how battles will go all in my head - usually pretty accurately. While I'm not reading rule books as often now, I know the points cost for all O&G units by heart in addition to magical items costs / abilities word for word (almost).

All of this doesn't mention the fact that I'm winding down on the purchase of models slowly so that I can catch up on painting all of my armies - Warhammer has totally taken over my recreational money expenditure, and now I guess I'm 're-prioritising' it elsewhere!

No wonder they call it Crackhammer! :rolleyes:
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Haha Grimbog I once turned up to a tournament without my O&G codex, and made a 2000p in my head (without calculator or paper too). The opponent wouldnt trust me though so we got a codex off someone else and it turned out i got it all right.

I still play this game only for a game. I don't like painting nor do I care about fluff. It's like a multiplayer computer game for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compultion, definitly. i still get white dwarf, still get models etc., even though i cant find anyone to play against and i havent played properly against anyone in over a year (apart from myself, i know; sad)
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

Never really had the obsession problem. It's always just be a cool thing to focus my ever shifting attention on when I get bored with everything else. My favourite parts of the hobby are still the fluff and collecting parts. I've never sacrificed anything else to play the game though, it's juts not that important I guess. I wouldn't like to, but if things got desperate and I needed to start selling stuff off, my gaming stuff would probably be one of the first things to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was abit like grimbog learing the codex, but then i knew that school is more important so im slowing down so i can quit.
    "Fight like gobbos"- Skarsnik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Grimbog Elf Ater@Mar 10 2005, 02:18
    No wonder they call it Crackhammer! :rolleyes:
    [snapback]348520[/snapback]
    crackhammer is definitly the way to describe it!! :lol:
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the comic strip Golden Throne. Great comic strip about Warhammer 40k and GW. (I think its Golden Throne I'm thinking of)

One of their re-occuring jokes is when asked what do GW staff do. The answer is usually 'Sell crack to blind kids'.

Great strip.

Well a casual past-time is what I would call it. I enjoy writing fluff occasionally. Although all the projects I have started have fallen flat on their faces (ie: I got bored).
    Painting, I am not too worried about. As long as they look OK to me.
    Playing games is what I like. Just having a few casual games every now and then at GW. Not great games admitedly. But games none the less.

I have probably spent more on Warhammer than I have for the PC i am using right now. And its not a shabby PC. But if need be I would stop buying for a while to do something else.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

+ Reply to Thread