Provisional Guidelines For The Irc Channel - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

We have a thriving online chat community in the dedicated IRC channel (#warhammer40k on the Undernet server) and more people are joining each day.

The community is mixed, we have a wide range of ages, nationalities and lifestyles, and regular members of both genders.

This makes for a lively and varied chat, and most of the time there is a very pleasant, light-hearted and supportive atmosphere. However, occasionally the atmosphere can get heated or people can take things too far.

The channel is ‘policed’ by a selection of regular channel operators, drawn usually from the more mature LO moderator community. Other moderators are accorded voices (+) on the channel to indicate their station. The role of the operators, is mainly to ensure a pleasant atmosphere and to take action if the channel is spammed.

The channel could in theory be ‘moderated’ by an Operator at a moments notice, this has the effect of silencing anyone who is not ‘voiced’. This can be done to stop an argument for example.

Well, to make sure we have a common framework of guidelines as to what is generally ‘acceptable’ on the channel, let me suggest the following:

1: Limit profanity to things you can hear on daytime television (i.e. none of the "Biggies"). Occasional adult references and language are understandable, we regard the channel as having a guidance rating of 16 years and over.

2: Sexual harassment and/or any other sort of discrimination will not be tolerated. The ‘punishment’ may include banning for a period of days, with little or no warning. Be mindful that what you think is playful teasing may be misinterpreted, and people may not welcome excessive personal attention.

3: If you have a problem with another user, then go to private messages, do not flame or snipe at people in the main channel.

4: If you have a problem with an operator, take it up with another operator.

5: Speak English, avoid the use of "netspeak" and "leet speak" in channel. Common IRC abbreviations are fine, but if people tell you that what you type is unintelligible then you're wrong.

6: Don’t use coloured text, most users do not like it.

7: Do not troll the channel, i.e. swing by and start an argument, then leave the channel.

8: Religious and Political discussions are discouraged. Just agree to disagree.

9: The Golden Rule: treat others with respect, as you would want to be treated in return. A certain amount of give and take is recommended. Make allowances for other people having had a bad day BUT if your own day has been so bad that you feel you might start an argument, give the channel a rest for an evening.

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Just a few points from my view of things...

Originally posted by Hard Aun+Mar 22 2005, 02:25--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard Aun &#064; Mar 22 2005, 02:25)</div><div class='quotemain'>3: If you have a problem with another user, then go to private messages, do not flame or snipe at people in the main channel.[/b]
    If we recieve multiple complaints about somones harrassing people through through the private chat feature then we will take action in the main channel.

<!--QuoteBegin-Hard Aun
    @Mar 22 2005, 02:25
    4: If you have a problem with an operator, take it up with another operator.[/quote]I would say first contact the mod you have a problem with, maybe upon the two of you discussing the matter it can be resolved without havng to go to 3rd parties. If you cannot resolve it with the mod in question, then go to a different mod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Knape97@Mar 22 2005, 07:53
    If we recieve multiple complaints about somones harrassing people through through the private chat feature then we will take action in the main channel.
    This is not really a channel issue, but a network issue, because if the offender gets banned, he can still harrass (although /ignore <user> works perfectly), so complaints should really be directed to network staff.

John Reeves "Overcode" Hall, 1980-2005, http://overcode.yak.net/1

DONATE TO THE FIGHT AGAINST MELANOMA
    http://www.acsevents.org/faf/r.asp?t...99915-86454580

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

1: Limit profanity to things you can hear on daytime television (i.e. none of the "Biggies"). Occasional adult references and language are understandable, we regard the channel as having a guidance rating of 16 years and over.
    This seems a bit unfair seeing as there are at least a couple of regulars under 16, and because there is a link to chat provided on L-O (although it doesn't appear to be working just now) which means that all age groups on L-O have access to it, including under-16's.
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

I completely agree. LO is frequented by all mannor of age groups, and as such chat shuold be avaliable to all these people.

In theory in order to sign up to the boards you have to be 13 or over (or have adult permission) and as such all chat should be suitable for 13 year olds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

The guidelines accurately indicate that the forum is run and moderated by a selection of regular channel operators, drawn usually from the more mature LO moderator community. These people have their own tastes and interests (some of these extending to adult amusements) and to retain that mature presence to serve the channel, these interests cannot be totally ignored, especially late at night in their own country.

One of my concerns is that if the channel becomes a dedicated channel with an age acceptability of 13, that the mature members will become bored and wander off. Then REAL perverts may move in to take advantage of the young, unguided and unprotected clientele.

The use of the channel for mods to discuss modding practice in specific examples should also not be overlooked.

After all, LO can be modded and distasteful things removed. In chat, no one can
    guarentee that an obscene comment will never be uttered by a casual visitor (even if they are kick-banned immediately afterwards, the comment will still remain in the channel). For that reason alone, the chat channel CANNOT be decreed a totally safe zone, and therefore CANNOT be declared to have a age aceptability rating of 13+.

The age demographic is also different from LO, with the majority of regular users being over 16.

I believe a notice, perhaps displayed in the Channel Topic regularly, should indictate to people that a different age suitability range applies in the channel than to LO.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. There are a varying age group on mIRC. Many things cannot be guarranteed as is on the LO site. Things cannot be rectified as well as is on our forum, things are different due to the "Live Status" of mIRC. As Many 13 and under age groups are exposed to many things (I know I was) things may have a different effect as opposed to a moderated site as Librarium-Online. I think mIRC should be a chat dedicated to a relaxed atmosphere chat room, and as such should not be valid under as many rules of LO. These are my thoughts and take them with a grain of salt. But these are my thoughts and take them as such. Thank you.

Mad Props to Angel_of_Rust for the sig.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I have to agree with Xaero here, you can't truely expect most of the rules from LO to be applied in the chat room. The room is for fun and games (though maybe not tooo adult *casts a glance at Alana* ), people will go there to blow off steam or to generally chat and relax. If restrictions such as *no swearing or activity unless it can be found on daytime tv* then it's reallly going to be somewhere where no fun will happen, how many of us on there can honestly say they don't swear? Or make crude/non-PC jokes or comments? What? Have you people never even looked at the chat quotes thread?

IMO it should basically be free rein, the ops are there for the reasons to draw it in. People who appear, swear or **** about are kicked (and most likely banned) otherwise most the the chat is suitable for all ages (thinking 13 yr olds don't know swearing is umm... moronic. Bloody Chavs.... >=< ) but yes occassionally we delve into the deep and dank depths of depravity. If you don't like it, the simple action is - ignore it or leave. (Or ask an op... if that'll work ).

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

I agree that there should be guidlines and I admit going a little too far at times though it seems to be what happens when you put me and Alana together and add alchohol to the mix. Anyway....i'm gonna see if i can get mIRC working again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

299 (x7)

Hard_Aun:
    10. Pick a nick and stay with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast