Reputation Idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reputation Idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Reputation Idea

I like LO alot.

I spend alot of my free time here.

I like the posts I see here (for the most part)!

I like the people I encounter here (for the most part)!

I like the moderation here (for the most part)!

I like the new reputation system (for the most part)!

If these statements seem like some YOU would make let me get your help on an idea I have for the new reputation system that has been implemented for our (LO members) usage!

Make it mandatory!

What?

That's crazy talk!!

Hear me out please!!

I try my best to post here for a variety of reasons. But as a (hopefully) longtime member there are only so many times I can reply to the same old posts of "what's the rule for this?" OR "What's the best army list for that?" before I have actually lost interest in even bothering to respond to those questions!

So I gravitate towards the 'members only' section to get the straight dope on the who's who, and the what's what! of LO!
    I mean, who wants to stay at a website where, by rule (and admittedly by common sense also) the only response you can give, or are allowed to give is: "That topic has already been covered so please consult our tactica's/ search program to find your answers!!"

If that's all LO was meant to be then, there is no need for a forum section!

I'm drifting a bit but stay with me please, I do have a point and I'm dangerously close to threatening to make it soon!!

Bang! Here it is!

People only respond to threads based on their like or dislike of its topic or a response to the topic.

So why not configure the reputation system to reflect that?

The first thing that should be available to a respondee of a post or a thread is a window (or other option) that offers the 3 choices of the rep system: ie: approve/disapprove/neutral.

That leaves no ducking of the system.

It instead demands instant response in the form of requiring the respondant to make that choice!

After all, they felt strongly enough about what they were responding to, to respond to it in the first place! Why make them wait to decide to exclaim how they felt when they should do it right then, or not at all? Then, they can continue their response!

It seems a fair way to resolve what is too much a voluntary system anyway!

Respond neutrally if you can't see your way through to taking sides in whatever issue is presented. (I also think that every 3 or 5 neutral responses should equal 1 whole positive response to reputation to help the whole program)

Or better yet, don't reply at all if you have no concrete feeling or thoughts on the topics given!! This reduces spam naturally!!

Anyway, that is my take on the whole situation.

I have received a good deal of positive reputation the way the system stands.

But I don't attribute that to the awesome posts I've left, even though I believe I have done a respectable job in that department! [can you say 'fishing?! hehe!] (someone has to pat me on the back, hehehe) as much as I attribute it to the awesomeness of the LO members that have been on the ball and given up the reputation that they can!!

For every post of my own; [that I often question the veracity and relevance]; I see 10 - 20 posts by newcomers that are absolutely relevant and purposeful that get NO reputation because people either forget or are too busy to worry about!! That can be fixed (hopefully) by making thread responses address reputation immediately!

What say you LO members/mods/owners? Yay or Nay on the 'Instant Reputation Response' idea?

Last edited by Joker; May 1st, 2005 at 14:51. Reason: Spelling!! I really miss the spell check option!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Well, if it appears in the reply window, wouldn't it be giving reputation for the creator of the topic rather than any brilliant replies by other members? A thread may be good although the first post wasn't, or a thread may be bad even if the first post was brilliant...
    I like your idea, but there are a few things to think about as stated above...
    Oh, and only older members are able to make a difference in your reputation anyway, so making it mandatory for all would just be a waste of younger members time, since their oppinion wouldn't make a difference anyway...
    I claim the title of "mistress of the vindictive"

=]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbrith
    Well, if it appears in the reply window, wouldn't it be giving reputation for the creator of the topic rather than any brilliant replies by other members? A thread may be good although the first post wasn't, or a thread may be bad even if the first post was brilliant...
    I like your idea, but there are a few things to think about as stated above...
    Oh, and only older members are able to make a difference in your reputation anyway, so making it mandatory for all would just be a waste of younger members time, since their oppinion wouldn't make a difference anyway...
    Good point, but maybe it can be configured to distinguish between the original thread and a post in the thread, (by making the respondant use the 'quote' option also to distinguish between the original thread and a response to a post in the thread?).

Maybe an option like (respond to thread?) and (respond to post?) that generate the reputation window for each?

As for younger members making a difference, remember I said that maybe 3-5 neutral responses should equal 1 positive response, maybe that should be factored in to help their opinions count??!

But thanks for responding Gerbirth, that at least lets me know that maybe I'm not alone in thinking that the system needs some 'refining'!
    Last edited by Joker; May 1st, 2005 at 14:22.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

But that would ruin a lot of what makes the forums forums. While nonstatement comments are annoying for those not in on them, it adds something for those that are; it makes them feel able to express themselves. When people can't do that, they might turn away from LO, feeling uncomfortably pushed into being made relevant. While you may feel grateful for that, we may lose many members who could contribute good things at another time because they feel stifled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    But that would ruin a lot of what makes the forums forums. While nonstatement comments are annoying for those not in on them, it adds something for those that are; it makes them feel able to express themselves. When people can't do that, they might turn away from LO, feeling uncomfortably pushed into being made relevant. While you may feel grateful for that, we may lose many members who could contribute good things at another time because they feel stifled.
    I'm curious as to what exactly it is you are referring to Xerxes?

Non members should generate no windows contributing to reputation and junior members should be able to give a neutral response or no-response to let them contribute or not based on how they feel about a post or thread.

And if anonimity about a thread or post is that greatly desired maybe a no-choice option can be generated along with the rep + or - or neutral to help preserve that.

The major point being to put the reputation system out front instead of the forgotten after thought that it seems to be!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

I mean that if people feel they have to contribute something important, then maybe they won't bother posting at all; they may think that they have nothing interesting to say, which could drive away new members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Xerxes I have to say that I don't think your concerns would be a factor...IMO people aren't scared off from making a comment just because of their lack of expertise or ingnorance on a subject. Just because I haven't anything interesting to say hasn't scared me off from posting in a thread! :p Frontloading a reputation screen prior to making a post would definitely ensure a healthy reputation system with numerous votes and would hopefully curb people's tendency to spam.

Sincerely,

Wookie
    I hear voices...and they don't like you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

On the one hand you say this:

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie
    I don't think your concerns would be a factor...IMO people aren't scared off from making a comment just because of their lack of expertise or ingnorance on a subject.
    And then you say this:

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie
    would hopefully curb people's tendency to spam.
    As far as I see it, those that are more likely to spam are those who know less about a subject. This is not to say that they will not contribute something useful occasionally, and so we may want to keep them, but if all they feel is that they're being given marks for every comment, it might be seen as judgemental and oppressive, and so would discourage them from posting at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Yes, and I stand by both statements. People who come here to LO either want to say something about a subject or want to hear someone say something about a subject...IMO opinion it's all about interaction with people. Coming to LO and not participating in any discussion that you find interesting and feel you can contribute to is just forum voyeurism. In regards to feeling like you're being given "marks" for the comments we need to remember that this is a hobby forum and not a final exam. I have no problem getting poor "marks" in this arena and feel others aren't as soft as you think and could stand either some ego massaging or constructive criticism depending on the "marks" that are handed out. Will people possibly construe this as judgemental? Maybe, but as long as the people dishing out the "marks" do so in the spirit in which the reputation system was envisioned then there shouldn't be a problem. As far as it being "oppressive" I just don't see it that way. Unless of course the mods start wearing SS officer uniforms...then we could be in trouble! Seriously though, knowing that your post could potentially be graded by your peers wouldn't deter a person from posting but it may deter a person from posting crap just to up their post count.

Sincerely,

Wookie
    I hear voices...and they don't like you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

Possibly. Meh, if it works it works. If it doesn't it doesn't. We can't know either way until it's tried.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast