Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anime

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Lordofchange 
#1 ·
Well seeing that tau and anime are closesly realted (Mechs feature in both of them for those of you that don't know) I was wondering who here are are anime fans. I happen to be obsessed with cowboy bebop, noir and lastexile. So give us a shout and tell us your fave anime or manga.

#2 ·
Noir is really cool, I also like the soundtrack with that latin lyrics. I have taken some lines from that for a prayer of my Sisters order, too. ;)

Other than that ... I like Record of Lodoss War (great fantasy with the coolest villain ever) and Slayers (hilarious comedy, makes me laugh every time).
Hmm, what more ... NGE is good, too, as well as Vandread.

Oh, and lets not forget "Jin-Roh". That movie was so good it even made it into german cinemas. Great political thriller with almost lifelike drawings.

By the way, I think we already had a similar topic here ...?

#3 ·
Well.. I don't really believe in anime. It seems to me to broad a range of stuff to make a genre out of. You're trying to class 'Legend of the Overfiend' and 'Spirited Away' in the same bundle.. to me that doesn't work.

You get very good anime, and you get very, very bad anime. I can't say I like it or dislike it.

#4 ·
True. Anime itself is not a genre, it's more of a way how to make a movie (-> drawing it with certain aspects of a style, though you have a lot of different drawing styles there, too, depending on the genre the movie is made for and the artists, of course).

#5 ·
Well, looking at the Crisis suits somehow reminds me of Macross. Anyway, I like Cowboy Bebop, and the rest I find merely OK. Inuyasha seems like nothing but calling out people's names, Samurai Pizza Cats is at best "quirky," DBZ is too simplistic, and Trigun I still need to see more of before I give an opinion.

#7 ·
I've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girl, Hellsing and some of Noir and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop are my favourite two. Alucard (Hellsing) is just such a cool (and I mean personality, not "OMG WOW COOL!") character as well as Spike from Bebop.

Noir and GitS:SAC look good, I've only watched a few episodes from each one though.

Gunslinger Girl was alright, nothing to write home about really. Berserk was good too but is quite heavy going.

I must say that NGE is my least favourite. The first time I watched it I was blown away. Then the second time I watched it I concentrated more on the story rather than the action and I didn't enjoy it as much. Asuka really got my nerves (whiney high pitched voice, ugh) as did Shinji with his frequent and sometimes pointless mental breakdowns. It left too many unanswered questions at the end for me, I watched End of Evangelion and that just made it even worse.

#8 ·
I'm not really into Anime so much anymore. I still watch some of the classic movies (a.k.a best ones of all time). Like ghost in the shell and the grand-daddy of them all... AKIRA. It shames me to know that so called "anime fans" now-a-days haven't watched Akira. I mean come on, it was the turning point in all anime!

#9 ·
numberofthebeastxxx said:
I'm not really into Anime so much anymore. I still watch some of the classic movies (a.k.a best ones of all time). Like ghost in the shell and the grand-daddy of them all... AKIRA. It shames me to know that so called "anime fans" now-a-days haven't watched Akira. I mean come on, it was the turning point in all anime!
Aye. Akira is good.

Although I still don't fully understand why Tetsuo becomes a big-ass Great Unclean One at the end.

#10 ·
There's really not much anime I do like, but the few series and movies I do like, I like a lot. Some of my all time favourites are Hellsing, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Kenshin in general, Patlabor, Armitage (though I'm not sure why o_O'), Ghost in the Shell, and Kino's Journey.I also really liked the manga GTO, because Eikichi Onizuka is just plain cool and I thaught most of it was pretty damn funny. ^_^

#11 · (Edited)
Strange that no one has mentioned Naruto yet as I thought it was one of the more popular series at the moment.

As for other series I like ehm, watch my sig, Gungrave, really good series.
Space Adventure Cobra (that is a real classic, from the late 70's/early 80's IIRC), Trigun, Macross, Crying Freeman, Full Metal Alchemist... I could go on forever.

I can add even more movies, as the already mentioned Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Also I would like to add Princess Mononoke and Ninja Scroll to that list, really good movies.

@Zveroboy : Read the Manga of Akira and it all would make sense

The_Giant_Mantis said:
Well.. I don't really believe in anime. It seems to me to broad a range of stuff to make a genre out of. You're trying to class 'Legend of the Overfiend' and 'Spirited Away' in the same bundle.. to me that doesn't work.

You get very good anime, and you get very, very bad anime. I can't say I like it or dislike it.
I just had to say this, Legend of the overfiend (aka Urotsukidôji) isn't anime, that's Hentai.

#12 · (Edited)
Vindkall said:
I just had to say this, Legend of the overfiend (aka Urotsukidôji) isn't anime, that's Hentai.
I think that's a fairly academic distinction, with very blurred edges. I've asked a wide number of people to define anime for me, and their conclusions do not rule out films like Legend of the Overfiend. Hentai is more a subgenre than a seperate one, not that I really accept Anime as a genre in itself. ;)

And I didn't need to be told the Japanese title, I'm a Japanese language student. In fact, I'm flying to Nagoya tommorow. ;)

I'd recommend most of Miyazaki's films myself.. I'm not really an anime fan, and neither are most of my friends, but those films are pretty much enjoyable to anyone (despite the fact most of them are made for children.)

#13 ·
The_Giant_Mantis said:
I think that's a fairly academic distinction. I've asked a wide number of people to define anime for me, and their conclusions do not rule out films like Legend of the overfiend.

And I didn't need to be told the Japanese title, I'm a Japanese language student. In fact, I'm flying to Nagoya tommorow. ;)
Actually I only added the Japanese name as it's not known as Legend of the Overfiend in all parts of the world.

As how you define anime it's quite hard as there are many diffrent kinds of movies that falls under the anime section as drama, thrillers, action etc.
But in general it's animated movies and series, also alot of these are based based on a manga comics (Many of the movies/series mentioned before started their life as a Manga comic, I say read the Manga as that usually adds even more story to it).
Hentai, well that's when there's alot of that really wierd adult content that can be found in movies as Legend of the Overfiend.

Fogot to add :
@The_Giant_Mantis : have a good time in Nagoya.

#14 ·
Akira was very cool when I first saw it. It has a lot of nice moments, especially the ones where the military police is involved. That colonel was kinda cool, I think, especially once he decided it's time to get rid of the corrupt senate. :p But all in all that movie got a little weird in the end...

As for hentai, there's only one I would "recommend". Bible Black.
That's the single one and only hentai I've ever seen that has some kind of a cool and deep (for a hentai) storyline that goes beyond standard-hentai-action.
Then again, I'm not considering me an expert in this area. ;)

#15 · (Edited)
Vindkall said:
Hentai, well that's when there's alot of that really wierd adult content that can be found in movies as Legend of the Overfiend.
Yeah.. I hate that stuff.

On an academic level, I want to understand it's role (that's part of my subject.) But as a western 'new man' I find the sexual violence/misogyny upsetting. I just used it as an example, and I'd ask anyone with a similar disposition to avoid it. Anime has some real gems which you should be looking for, not dwelling on the stuff which isn't really compatable with Western gender-ethics.

I think anime is really, really interesting, but I spend a lot of time around people who have probably taken it a bit too far (it pretty much explains the current popularity of Japanese degrees) so I'm naturally a bit hostile.

And thanks for the good wishes. It's a language school trip, so it's not all fun and games, but it should be excellent nonetheless.

#16 ·
Anime: Naruto, Bleach, Patlabor, Noir, .//Hack, Princess Mononoke

I am tempted to buy Chrono Trigger that just recently shown itself in the UK. But I have to finish off Noir and .//Hack first really lol

Manga:
Naruto, Bleach, Patlabor, .//Hack: Legend of the Twilight, InuYasha (Why, I don't know.)

#17 ·
i love akira.
in the end he can't control his powers, so he turns into a huge mutant blubber monster thing. I love the akira version of an OB where the rocks start to lift up in the blue light and so on.

#19 ·
Ace of Spades said:
Was gunslinger girl really that much of a let down? It's my number one most wanted (I live in australia and it hasn't even got a release date yet). As for anime's defintion, I'd say it is really just cartoons with big eyes.
I found it a let down, but everyone has their own opinion. Despite what you may see from the pictures it's basically young (and I'm talking like, 13 years) girls who have cyborg body parts and they assasinate people. A lot of the series deals with the emotional problems the girls face. The breakdowns aren't on the same scale as the ones in Evangelion but I found it pretty boring, especially when you get the one episode that's basically the same two girls talking to each other for 25 minutes about how they feel.

#20 ·
Berserk, Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust are my current favorites.

But Starbalzers was the first anime series I saw when I was younger and it had me hooked from then on.

I try to check out as much of it as I can, but there is so much crap in the genre it's hard to not just give up on it all.

Princess Mononoke reminded me there are still good anime films being made.

Akira was ok, but I liked Mononoke better, maybe it was the quality voice talent they brought on board to do the english translated version that pushed it past Akira in my opinion.

#21 ·
Joker said:
Akira was ok, but I liked Mononoke better, maybe it was the quality voice talent they brought on board to do the english translated version that pushed it past Akira in my opinion.
Akira was out in the 60's man. It was the turning point in all anime. It was the last great film before they started using computer animation. All those city sweeping scenes were drawn by hand! Come on, if you appreciate the work it takes to put that kind of stuff together Akira's gotta be no. 1. Mononoke was realeased like 30 years later in the 90's for crying out loud. I like Mononoke too but you have to compare the two time periods.

On a side note they tried to do the Akira bike back then but of course didn't have the technology. I think they should make another attempt. I mean with todays tech. we should be able to do all those computer controlled brakes and acceleration. Though it would cost a hell of a lot.

#23 ·
numberofthebeastxxx said:
Akira was out in the 60's man. It was the turning point in all anime. It was the last great film before they started using computer animation. All those city sweeping scenes were drawn by hand! Come on, if you appreciate the work it takes to put that kind of stuff together Akira's gotta be no. 1. Mononoke was realeased like 30 years later in the 90's for crying out loud. I like Mononoke too but you have to compare the two time periods.
I had no idea it was produced in the 60's. That is impressive.

It doesn't change my mind though. I like Mononoke.

I am impressed by Akira and I do like it alot.

But if I had to vote for a favorite, it would still be Mononoke.

:cool:

#26 ·
Akira was the first biggie I saw and liked. I'm pretty sure it's from the early 80s, not the 60s though. Battle Angel Alita is another of my old favourites. As for more modern ones I like Miyazaki, like most people, and I like the art of the guy who did Vampire Hunter D and Sandman: The Dream Hunters (I forget his name right now.) It is more original in style than most anime and manga which I usually find very conventional.

An awful ot of crap comes out of Japan though, they have a hyperactive pop culture. Unfortunately alot of it gets foisted on us because Japan is fashionable.

The_Giant_Mantis said:
And I didn't need to be told the Japanese title, I'm a Japanese language student
Maybe he wasn't talking to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.