Warhammer and Halo - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Warhammer and Halo

I know that there are going to be some HALO-acholics out there that will flame me for this, but when I first got halo and halo 2 a few years back it didn't seem all to original. Firstly its based around a ring world which was created by sci-fi novelist Larry Niven. Also, the ability to get in vechiles seems to be copied from red faction. Halo 2 came out a few monthes after Red Faction 2. Halo declared that they had invented a new dual-weapon system allowing you to carry to weapons which the Red Faction 2 game had just made. Finally I've noticed that it has taken a lot of ideas from warhammer. The prophets look like slann-mage preists, the drop pods and ships seem to be copied from 40k, and the idea of a super-human warrior definitly isn't orginal. Does anyone agree with me or am I just being paranoid?

"DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

merely that there's no such thing as an original idea anymore, and that Halo and Halo 2 managed to combine them all into a nice, good looking, great to play game. No arguments here. I'm sure they're not actively trying to rip off anything in particular, they're all common enough in most sci-fi works you'll find. It's like teen romances/horror movies, you know they're pretty much all the same, but they all got a slightly different twist to keep you.

EDIT: in fact, thinking about it, much of 40k is based on other stuff anyway, so it's not like you can say that 40k was where it was ripped off originally in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

You're just being paranoid. I seriously doubt Bungie ever claimed to "invent" dual wielding as it's definitely not the first game to do this, niether is Red Faction . As far as originality gos we've been over it a dozen times when it comes to the (un) originality of the themes in Warhammer. Basicly Applebone is right. It's hard to think of anything that hasn't been done before in one way or another. I challenge anybody who has a gripe anbout Halo or Warhammer or whatever being unoriginal to create a good concept that has never been used before by anybody....pretty hard isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    Halo declared that they had invented a new dual-weapon system allowing you to carry to weapons which the Red Faction 2 game had just made.

Golden eye rogue agent also had this before halo
    Creator and Head Patriot of USA Clan
    Head of Rap in the LO Music Clan
    "What can I say, I'm a repoholic. Just can't get enough of that repohol."
    I want everyone to remeber why they need us!

box
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to agree and say it is near impossible to think of something 100% unique. But on Halo copying 40k i doubt it. It is most likely coincidence or they said Hey that's cool lets add that. Which I have no problem with anyway. Oh, and how else do you draw a drop pod other than the shapes used in halo and 40K? you could make it a sphere or a diamon but that would look gay now wouldn't it.
    Last edited by box; July 23rd, 2005 at 01:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i think i had some of the same thoughts as there is much similarity between almost all sci-fi movies/games and it is near imposible to come up wiht something entirely orriginal, however in the dual-wielding thing i believe bungie just mean that dual weilding was new to halo2 because it hadnt been in halo 1 and that was huge, it completely changed the game and thats why it was all new and very exciting for halo players.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Oh. and how else do you draw a drop pod other than the shapes used in halo and 40K?
    yeh but who else has drop pods?
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

The majority of the first Red Faction game was itself a plagiarism of Deus Ex plot wise with Geo-Mod technology tacked on.

Personally I see far more of Stargate in Halo than I do Warhammer.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by dcawrest202
    Golden eye rogue agent also had this before halo
    To a lesser extent the original 007 goldeneye had dual wielding. And that was on the good old nintendo 64.

Oh, and kudos for having read ringworld and actually knowing who Larry Niven is. But in answer to your questions about the droppods and ringworld. When I played for the first time and I saw these things I didn't say: "Heeey, I know where those come from. Damnyou plagurising Bungie!"
    I said: "Heeey, Dat's neat!"

It actually enhanced the effect of the game because i had something else I loved to base it on. I stepped out of the droppod and said something like "Time to cleanse some xenos scum," tp my brother.

So anyway, that was the Halo junkie replying, and he gave you kudos, not what you where expecting eh?
    Last edited by Triumph Of Man; July 22nd, 2005 at 21:06.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

box
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    yeh but who else has drop pods?
    Eh errrm. Oh jeez.Thats a toughy. LOL. Like I said they probably went hey that looks cool let's use that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast