UK Games Day - Newbie Q's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK Games Day - Newbie Q's

I've just gotten my ticket to my first UK Games Day (along with the SE miniature - nice). I want to make the most of the day so am looking for suggestions from GD veterans.

So on with my questions - any that you can answer will be greatly appreciated.

How do I get to attend those 'future product' talks/presentations? And what time do you 'die-hards' arrive? (in fact what time does it open!!)

Am i right in thinking they have pre-release items in limited stock? (I went to the Summer Hobby Day at Warhammer World and they had small quantities of the Carnifex and 'nid hunters about a month before they came out) - if they have any of the new marine plastics (ie Assault Term's or scouts) I guess I'll need to buy them very early in the day so they don't run out (and then lug them around all day ).

I also plan to pick up a Forgeworld dread plasma arm and maybe some Deathwing Shoulder pads - do I need to order that kind of thing in advance or is the Forgeworld stock massive there?

At Hobby Day I attended a scenery talk which was good (although the guy was quite aggressive!) I had to sign up for that - is there anything similar?

Any other must see/must do's?

Any response would be greatly appreciated and maybe I'll see you there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Um...that's a good question. Where am i??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i would like these question answered too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

It may change this year since the venue is different but I have attended for the past two years now, I hope I can help.

The doors open at 10am and shut at 4pm, you will need to be there very, very early to get in just after 10am (IIRC the first people in last year were Dutch and had been queuing since between 5 and 6am that morning. I managed to get in just after 11am. So be there early or expect a wait.

Looking in the new WD the seminars no longer exist, the new stuff will be on big TV screens in sections of the hall(s) and the GD staff will have a small booth/table where you can badger them for info etc. There should be pre-release stock, I can't remember if there was last year but I think they might have been there. FW stuff you can get there an then, they'll have a stall. This I'd suggest you get to straight away, last year this was probably the busiest of all the stalls there. But you can order now and pick up on the day I believe, but don't know how to do it (maybe check FWs site?).

You don't have to sign up for any of the hobby/conversion stuff AFAIK, you sit down then just what the **** you can with what's there (all free too). Must sees are the GD displays, these are always busy and last year we had to wait to get into the room (then down about twenty flights of steps, but not any more ^_^ ) and you could spend as long as you want there. It was here they had the greens and 3:1 plastic/resin mockups of new releases (last year it was the ogres and new SM stuff) as well as you can chat with some of the artists and modellers there. But I dun't know if you can this year as it's different.

Other than that it's the gaming tables, join in or wander round. You get a program that will tell you what's what and what's where so you should be ok.

Hope this has helped, maybe you'll see me there. ^^

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as I live in the same city as both venues, I'll let you in on something...

This year's one is MUCH bigger. The National Indoor Arena (last year's venue) had enough Forge World stock to last all day, so imagine how much stock they'll have at the National Exhibition Centre. Although I'd advise buying as early as possible.

Hobby-wise, the staff from various stores will be holding guides for all who are interested (painting, scenery etc.) and there will be painting tables also, most likely.

Hope to see some of you there. I'll be alone. NOOOES. Maybe I'll meet you at one of the gaming tables. I remember playing in the Bretonnians vs Chaos Knights thing against a dude who looked like King Ulrik. o.o
    Last edited by Exterminatus-Squeebie; August 22nd, 2005 at 20:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Thanks for the info everyone.

Another question: Is there a big Black Library section? - I've become a big fan of the books and want to get the Sabbat BG book and the new Ghosts novel but the opportunity to peruse the range would be good.

I've given myself a limit of about £100ish spends - and a bit of mental addition shows that's not going to go far after the books, Forgeworld bits and those new plastics! Not to mention those expensive, 1970's style, NEC foodhalls I've suffered on my previous trips to NEC based shows (Cars, Focus Digital etc)

I have to say that, although I've gotten my Dark Angels painted up since I started the hobby in December I still haven't manged to play a proper game! They don't have a late night at my local store (Southport) and there's no chance of slipping off on the weekend - the missus has too many jobs for me!! (I'm a bit wary of playing very young players as well, it must be my 29 year old pride! - no offence to the young un's - I know they'd kick my arse in a game and that some of them are very mature players - but when I have been in store on Saturdays it does, alot of the time, seem a bit like a zoo :p )

Do you think it's worth me bringing my army with me and seeing if anyone wants a game or will no one want to go near a complete newbie at Games Day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't use your own army at Games Day, there are set tables with scenarios and big games on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. That's suprising - I'd have thought it the ideal place to play people you'd wouldn't normally and that people would want to do that with their own army.

On second thoughts I guess that's what tournaments are for! duh!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Actually this year you can, IIRC you can bring 400 - 500pts as they will be a special area just for people gaming. This is a new feature, it's in the new UK WD and might be online but I'm unsure.

KU

+ Reply to Thread