What Should Games Workshop Do Next ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

What Should Games Workshop Do Next ?

So, where should Games Workshop be headed next?

We all have our petty gripes about it (and praise for it when it spoils us with a nice new set of figures or publication) but really, what would we suggest it should do over say, the next five years?

I would like to see some sensible, reasoned ideas here. Yes, of course we would all like to see cheaper plastic regiments, but might we have to give up something else to get that? Like your local store, for example?

The price policy is controversial, we know that. But do you seriously know people at school who have considered Games Workshop as a hobby, but rejected it as the prices are too high? Or do you and your friends grumble, but buy the kit anyway, perhaps spending more time choosing what you need rather then buying stuff on a whim?

Should GW bend over backwards to produce EVERYTHING in plastic, bearing in mind that costs them a lot of money to do, or is the balance between metal and plastic about right now?

Try and work out what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong at the moment.

Some facts and points for you to consider:

Space Marines are about 70% of the sales for Games Workshop.

New races take something like two and a half years from original idea to being released with a Codex/Army Book and a range of figures.

Games Workshop have a network of dedicated stores in many major cities in UK, also in Europe and the US. The money for the rent and staff wages for these obviously comes from the GW products we buy. Is the help and support you get from trained and dedicated GW store staff worth the extra you have to pay? What about the young lads who can come into a store with their parents and browse before spending their birthday money. They are also paying to support your hobby, and if the shops did not exist, would they still be coming into the hobby?

We saw the computer game Dawn of War last year, and it was a major success. Would you like to see more diversity like this?

Games Workshop have a significant tie-in with the Lord of the Rings films now, and this shows no signs of stopping yet. However, those films are over (although possibly in maybe five years time 'The Hobbit' may be made). Bearing in mind that GW is still paying the filmmakers for the rights to make LOTR minis, is this still a good thing?

Anyway, lets have a lively and informed discussion about this. Who knows, as Games Workshop employees are known to read these forums, perhaps you will influence their decisions over the next few years!

Incidentally, read this about the general toy and games market. It might help put GW into perspective for you.

Last edited by Hard A**; August 31st, 2005 at 20:39.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

The first thing they need to do is rework all of the codexes that need it. Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar and a lot of the mini-dexes (Space Wolves, Dark Angels, ect). They're out of date, and need it.

I don't think we need another race anytime soon. Virtually every niche can be filled in some way or another. However, if we do get one, I want it to be the Ordos Xenos. So much existing info, and it'd be nice to finish off the last Ordo. However, I think that the three Ordos should be put into one uber-codex, just because they're all so similar in many aspects.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the figures from GamesDay Germany, 40% of 40K sales are space marines, with 40K itself accounting for 30% of Games Workshop sales.

Therefore Space Marines account for 12% of GW total sales. A large proportion to be sure, but not 70% of all sales.

They outsell the entire range of paints by one percentage point

My idea for GW to do next:

Make the ForgeWorld rules official.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Maybe it's time for GW to offer:

(to some people this will be blasphemy so....)

(SHIELDS UP SCOTTY!! or GEORDI!! depending on which generation you are :rolleyes: )

pre (colored?)painted miniatures for the less artistic masses that want to play without a huge time investment and just want to play the game straight from the boxset.

With an option to buy more prepainted or unpainted miniatures(some assembly required).

After all, the market is changing and games like HeroScape can grab a huge share of potential clients by offering an easier game system that's ready to play right off the store shelf.
    Last edited by Joker; August 31st, 2005 at 20:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Broadside Pilot: I believe those Codex updates are in the pipeline anyway, but that seems like fine tuning to me, and perhaps not a 'big' idea. Desirable though, for us old hands with armies caught awaiting a new book (Bloodangels and Orks for me).

Harbish: Well, I only heard an anecdote from my local store that 70% of all sales are Space Marines. It may have been a local phenomena. Again, making Forge World rules legit (although its something I would like to see myself) might be seen as a minor fine tuning change, although welcomed by us grognards.

Joker: In my humble opinion, thats quite an interesting idea. Yes, bearing in mind GW are keen to attract 'new blood' at the lower age range of the hobby, and kids are 'not expert' at making/painting minis. Witness the new snap-together Space Marines in the Macragge set. So, maybe getting some sweatshops to produce affordable painted/assembled minis is a way forwards...

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Senior Member Dark Lioness HLTB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x2)

I don't mind Lord of the Rings existing but the amount of attention gives it after the film is worrying. They can't possibly hope to keep so many people interested forever!

Personally I think they should consolidate- re-write any army book or codex that doesn’t pull it’s weight.

Xuy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I agree with you joker, I'm one of those lazy people who hate painting.

I really think GW should have special days when all stock is at a discount and at the same time hold some sort of gaming event where anyone can participate. This would attract a lot of people because of the discount and at the same time people will have fun.
    A billion chinese can't be wrong - eat rice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Aun
    So, maybe getting some sweatshops to produce affordable painted/assembled minis is a way forwards...
    I almost spit 'mountain dew' (a soda here in the U.S.) all over my computer screen when I read this, as I pictured scrawny little underfed/overworked 6 year olds from Sri-Lanka feverishly painting with festering, bleeding, blister covered fingers as Andy Chambers stood maniacally shrieking at them in their native tongues while ominously cracking his whip over their heads, "Paint faster you little bastards! Faster! Mwahahahaha! I'm not paying you 5 rupies a year to stand there and cry for your mommies!!"

:rolleyes:

Isn't there a way to use precolored plastics in the molds? Or a mechanical assembly line like the 'Star Wars' action figures and other figures use?

That's what I meant. But my god man! thank you for that laugh out loud posting! :lol:
    Last edited by Joker; August 31st, 2005 at 21:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

My opinions and points of view come from a married-with-children and a healthy hobby budget perspective.

That said, it is an interesting concept: metal vs. plastic. I think it is easy to understand price increases to the metal products as the cost of metal fluctuates and changes in the world markets. However, I don't understand the plastic side of things. Sure, plastic is made from other materials which may fluctuate but I don't imagine it being as volatile of an item. Therefore, why do plastic model costs get raised as well?

Several things come to mind:
    -GW trys to spread the cost of the metal material cost around and increases the costs of whole product line.
    -GW raises the prices of the metals to reflect the increased material cost and increase the plastic cost because of greed.
    -Plastic material costs have also risen.

One would think that once the plastic molds are created that you could get great cost-per-unit pricing for producing the plastic models.

As Hard Aun implies, what if they dropped metal models all together and made everything in plastics? Would they still use the blister-type packaging as they do for the metals? Would they save or gain wall space in stores by changing their packaging?

I think the GW stores are in an odd place. While they do serve as a basic starter place in a minimum of space that introduces the game to new players by being in popular locations like malls, I think there is a big drop off between the GW stores and the local stores that are to serve the new and local players once they join the hobby.

Of course I am coming from an area which is barely able to support a local game shop which sells GW products. We've got a good group of veteran players but can't on our own, financially support the shop. Furthermore the owner either unable or unwilling to pursue new starting customers. Perhaps if GW reached out to the local independent shops and/or made available training materials of how independent shops can receive the "hand-off" of customers generated through the little GW shops?

After watching just the Trailer to the new Dawn of War expansion I fell in love with it. I would not be against watching a "feature length" animated movie based just on the style of renderings of the trailer footage. I'm not much of a computer game player myself but watching animated movies in the 40k universe would be great.

While it seems that the hype could or should go down for LoTR with the movies being over, I can only imagine that GW is counting on people who have gotten into the LoTR miniature game to want to continue playing in that storyline. It is also possible that by bringing together miniature gamers with general fans of LoTR they can (or have) created an self-propelling audience of consumers who will continue with the product without the spark of the movies. Besides, GW has licensed a ton of Tolkien materials above and beyond just the "trilogy". (i.e. the Hobbit, as mentioned)

Again, as an adult and being business minded I can understand the realities that GW can't have an unlimited product line. They have to keep in mind the size of shops and how much inventory can be displayed and maintained. In other words, sure, they can introduce a new army or new race but what gets discontinued to make room for it?

In regards to Ordos Zenos (Alien Hunters), I can see the interest (and closure of sorts) of completing the trilogy started with the other orders. However, at the same time, these books annoy me in terms of the ability to mix and match so much from other Codexes. I suppose this hasn't specifically generated any tournament-owning broken lists but still... I suppose you could look at the Inquistors as the Space Marines and the Ordos differentiation being the same as the sub-codexs as for Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Space Wolves etc.

I agree with the Uber-Codex solution for the 3 Ordos. But now that they are so new we really don't want GW combining them any time soon.

As far as ForgeWorld rules... I suppose some GW support would be good. As long as they aren't official, why bother spending time and energy on models and conversions that will only be display pieces or can only be played in unofficial games with your friends? Think how much ForgeWorld sales might go up if the rules for most of their models were official?

Pre-painted miniatures? I balk at this only because I've been a hobbyist for so many years and have a lot of time and energy into painting my models. Besides, I see "half" the fun of the hobby in collecting, assembling and painting the models.

In my opinion, pre-painted GW miniatures would have the following effect:
    1) increased cost of miniatures, because GW is to ship painted miniatures.
    2) pre-painted miniatures would cut into the profits of the unpainted miniatures and paints
    3) if they are pre-painted, why offer unpainted models at all?

Eventually they would just be selling huge HUGE selection of "chess" pieces and the hobby portion of the game would just be gone. I think all profitability would be gone.

If GW had a regular Discount Day I think this would kill their sales. GW's product line are not essentials. If I knew there was a discount day I would never buy at any other time. Whereas when it comes to clothes, groceries or gas for my car, I can't always wait for a sale. Sometimes I really need new pants, milk and bread or gas for my car. Therefore markets and gas stations always have a steady stream of business.

I will continue thinking about the original question and chime in later.

Until then,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with JON23516 about if they start selling pre painted models then the hobby aspect of the game would be gone.

As far as the Lord of the Rings game sure it looks cool and all but this game has been running about 2 years now (not sure about that time?). I mean come on Warhammer Fantasy is alot better than the LOTR game, they should cut that and focus on 40k and WHFB.

I really dont understand why Forgeworld doesnt have a USA shop. On countless occasions have I and my friends said "lets order something from Forgeworld, because they have some awsome stuff." And then start to order it to only to find that it would cost about $300 for three things with all the shipping cost. And on top of that i have to wait a whole month to recieve my $300 plastic kit.!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

The great GW really needs a way to ask its customers what they think about their buisness. Maybe a survey in White Dwarf. And when people reply with a resonable suggestion they should listen.

~~~No1
    The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast