Who else feels that playing wargames "by the numbers" takes away from the fun? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who else feels that playing wargames "by the numbers" takes away from the fun?

Honestly, I see people on here all the time saying that units are crap or that it's unfeasible to field something because they "would have to shoot 5 billion times, wound 600 times, and statistically they might kill something".

I was just wondering if there were any others who thought that it makes the game less enjoyable to look at it from a mathematical viewpoint?

I can understand if people get their jollies by doing math problems and such, but theres a difference between knowing what your units are capable of and the statistics behind it.

Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you, the whole purpose for taking most units, is to get a special kick out of them in combat, wether it be cc, shooting, or some other special effect. They are also meant to be taken for fluff reasons, and just because they look cool or instill fear into the hearts of your foes! But people make a business out of it and say, I should take this instead of this, because these can statistically kill one more model in cc per turn, for 1 extra point per model. I just hate that...
    W/D/L
    Tau - Knights of the Frozen Wastes
    10/2/4

Necrons - The Phalanx of Gleaming Death
    2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

I use maths in 40k, but not when choosing army lists. Only during the game, I use numbers to determine which unit is best of against which, etc.

But agreed, anything that makes the game un-fun is quite untolerable.

~Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I also agree ...

It's something that's spreading everywhere, unfortunately. Not to my local gaming shop, I hope, but I have a feeling I'll be facing a player soon who will be all "but you only have a .4444 chance of hurting it, why would you shoot at it?" and rant about math.

Many people do it on these forums, but it's usually to prove a point. Once in a while I'll go all mathematical, but again, just to prove a point. For example: everyone thinking Kroot will kill Guardians in CC while in cover. If Guardians charge Kroot in cover, without grenades, they will lose. If they charge Kroot in cover WITH grenades, they will win. Of course, you have to throw in all the luck, which is really what the game is about when it comes to dice.

The thing I hate the most is a person who comments on my army lists saying "get rid of this, and get this." One of the most common happenings of this is simple: when I make a Space Marine army list with a Master, it's truly amazing how many people tell me to get a Chaplain. It really is.

Ah, well. There'll always be players like that. Just can't let 'em get to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord Yossanrion - I dislike doing the math for figuring out what is the best unit against what, just as much as I hate peeps who do math to pick units. I am not saying anything to offend you, just that it takes the fun out of the game in terms of finding out who will win.
    W/D/L
    10/2/4

2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

I am not saying anything to offend you, just that it takes the fun out of the game in terms of finding out who will win.
    Eh, fair enough. I might have to try your way, perhaps it is more fun.

Anyways, I usually do this (say w/ a unit of 50 Guardsmen vs 5 Marines)

BS 3 = 1/2 will hit

25 hit

Str 3 vs T4

Wounding on 5's

5 wounds

saving on threes.

3-4 saves.

So at least 1+ Marines will die.

So thats how I do it anyways,

~Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im gonna have to try that, i never knew the proper computations, but that sounds a bit off.
    W/D/L
    10/2/4

2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I must be part of the minority. Part of the game that I find fun is studying my codexes, my army lists, and finding out what works best in what situation. I find it interesting to figure out how GW came up with various point costs for their units, and how to best exploit that. I spend hours trying to perfect my army lists, sometimes starting from scratch and rebuilding it all over again. I like to weigh each upgrade against its proposed usefulness, and I like to learn which units work best in what situations. I find that enjoyable.

However, I never force my opinions upon someone else unless asked first. In Lord Y's case, if he were to point out that the Master was not open for debate when posting an Army List, I wouldn't bother to attempt to change it. It works for him, and that's what the game is about. What's fun for you.

On the flip side, once I engage in a battle, it's no longer about the math. I'm a horrible strategist when it comes down to crunch time, and I prefer to just send my CC units into the nearest enemy, and have my shooty units blast something I find offensive. I never hold up games trying to calculate how many average wounds I'll inflict on unit "A" versus unit "B". I know I'm a horrible tactician on the battlefield - that's why I do all my thinking before the game. It all evens out in the end, and I have fun the entire time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really dont care what my oppenent does. If he wants to use math to aid him in decsision, then fine. I wont however. Part of the fun is taking a risk, and not knowing what will happen. In people's ambitions to make the game more realistic by using math, they actually detract for the realisticness. In life, sometimes something that should never happen does.
    Creator and Head Patriot of USA Clan
    Head of Rap in the LO Music Clan
    "What can I say, I'm a repoholic. Just can't get enough of that repohol."
    I want everyone to remeber why they need us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I agree that maths doesn't really belong in warhammer. Sure you can calculate things down to stupid numbers but when your there and playing it's all down to dumb luck. Just because something should turn out one way doesn't mean it will. An example I will use is yesterday my friend (Chris) was shooting a heavy flamer at a squad, he needed 2+'s to wound and kill without saves but he rolled SEVEN ones. That's my point anyway.
    Last edited by Ace of Spades; September 18th, 2005 at 07:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast