Rumors of deaths greatly exaggerated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Rumors of deaths greatly exaggerated

It appears the media greatly exaggerated the violence in post Katrina New Orleans. It sickens me how easily the media were able to report word of mouth as fact, and sadens me how the public devoured the information. Spoon fed by the media, I and most others ate it up, and now evidence shows widely reported attacks false or unsubstantiated. I imagine this won't be front page news either, leaving hundreds of thousands with the fallacious idea of the chaos of New Orleans, especially inside the Super Dome and Convention centre.

This will come back in their face too, one day trying to argue a point, using New Orleans as an example, they'll soon find egg on their face. I'm just happy I've found out now.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporlea...26.html#082732

Last edited by onlainari; September 28th, 2005 at 03:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

And this from someone who doesn't like to take his news from one source?

I'm a bit confused as to the intent of your post. Yes, I've seen this news item elsewhere, and I hope that it's true. Those stories were particularly gruesome and heart-wrenching. However, it seems you discount the media and bewail people being left with erroneous notions. First, I saw the news on CNN, which I think counts as widely disseminated. Second, the media was doing what it could in the chaos after the disaster. They were reporting what they were rold, and now they are self-correcting the story. I must say that I agree with many pundits who state that the media has done a superlative job in regard to the disaster after years of waddling about in the muck pool of journalistic mediocrity, especially in regards to their coverage of the Bush administration's conduct after 9/11 and the War against Terrorism.

Much more important than people holding erroneous notions of what happened in the Super Dome and the Convention Center in regards to violent crime, and what I suspect the great majority care about most, is the debacle wrought by poor planning at all levels of government.

I think you're missing the real issues and highlighting something minor. One spot of shoddy journalism--easily explained considering the circumstances--does not a lost media make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Heh, that's what annoys me, multiple sources were reporting the high murder and rape rates. That's what annoy's me, I believed in a lie. Except it wasn't a lie, was it? "reported" "alleged" "up to" Favourite words of the media. But say them enough times, and they become facts (not literally, you know what I mean).

Is my intent of the topic to say that the media should controll itself better when reporting these things? That's a lost cause, so no. Yet my point I was making still makes it a bit of a worthless post. I just wanted to remember how easily I believed, learn from the mistake.

You are right on that I was missing the real issues. Although the fact that there will be a large number of people that won't know of the exaggerations is still an important issue I raised, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread