Gay Marriage? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Gay Marriage?

Howdy all. For my first thread started in the enhanced section, (woo hoo), I gonna drop a doozy. To be honest, I'm not trying to start a war, I'm actually interested. Now without further ado, here we go.

What do paople around the world think of gay marriage?

Now, I'm from Canada where it is legal to be married in a gay/lesbian union. It has been legal in Ontario, (a province in Canada), for a while longer. So, I am kind of used to the idea. In reality, it never bothered me, I am very liberal and I support equal rights for everybody, (not just women or visible minorities, everybody, whatever the reason is that you are different). As long as everyone involved is a consenting adult, I won't take issue. I may not personally be into it, but, I won't take issue, (ie. I support gay/lesbian marriage, but, I am straight).

So, that being said, everybody, pull on your muckers and jump in, (please remember, I am asking about opinions of gay marriage, not homosexuality as a whole).

A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by THE Hersh
    So, that being said, everybody, pull on your muckers and jump in, (please remember, I am asking about opinions of gay marriage, not homosexuality as a whole).
    How about our opinions of marriage as a whole?

I think marriage should have all legal ramifications stripped from it, so that the law never recognizes two people being in a couple. People can still get married, but it will be purely a religious/spiritual/social recognition of their coupling in the eyes of society and their peers.

IMHO There should be no financial connections or legal benefits/hindrances associated with marriage. The idea that when a couple marry all their goods legally become property of both just connects marriage to it's old role in society, of basically selliing your kids to other families for the sake of an alliance.

I first came to this conclusion when I found out that if my brother and his girlfriend want to get married (she comes from a Laotian family) in a tradtitional ceremony their wedding is not legally recognized as Laotian Buddhist monks are not considered legal celebrants yet by the law in Australia. They would then have to go and get married in a civil ceremony for their marriage to be valid, or the monk would have to get a civil celebrant's license. Same with my girlfriend's mum, she was wiccan and her marriage was not legal. So I thought why should any group's ceremony be legally binding? Hell, why should marriage have a legal effect at all, we are not living in the 1800s here!

I think if marriage was a purely unofficial thing then anyone who wanted to get married would be doing so because they wanted to, not because they felt they had to for financial reasons, the thought of which bugs me for some reason.

That said I reckon gays, lesbians, martians, everyone should be allowed to knock themselves out and get married if they feel like it.

PS Gay marriage is currently illegal in Australia. There are always attempts to change this but our current prime minister is conservative Church of England and he says it ain't going to happen. In Tasmania (the little island off the bottom right corner of Australia) it only became legal to BE gay in the last 10 years or so!
    Last edited by Kahoolin; October 7th, 2005 at 12:14.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

That said I reckon gays, lesbians, martians, everyone should be allowed to knock themselves out and get married if they feel like it.

PS Gay marriage is currently illegal in Australia. There are always attempts to change this but our current prime minister is conservative Church of England and he says it ain't going to happen. In Tasmania (the little island off the bottom right corner of Australia) it only became legal to BE gay in the last 10 years or so!
    With you all the way on that Robotnik. I'm not Gay myself, but hey, if any Gay person wants to get married fine by me.

Unfortunaltly our Country has no Gay marriage, probly due to many reasons, but I won't go into that. I think many people (Baby Boomers) in this Country still are Homophobic, and Australia's culture is not geared towards allowing Gays. Words like "Poofter" "Pansy" and "Fruit Cake" do not make it easy for Gay people to establish a ground in Australia. There is a fine line between joking and discriminating.

But yeah, Gay marrige (and adoption) all the way.

~Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Yay for Gay marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I agree with the previous posters on the gay marriage issue. In Ireland because we were effectively ruled by the Catholic church for so long, (All forms of conraception were banded until the early 80's, and even tampon's were banned during the fifties because the church was afriad of " the improper use and stimulation of impressionable girls" we are only slowly getting around to having a more modern view of the world. Hell during the sixties when a lot of our young people were going to england for work because there was none in Ireland, the church tried to presuade the goverment to make a law saying that the anyone under the age of 18 should not be allowed leave the country, incase their young mind becomes warped by the excess of other countries. Thankful that did not happen.
    Anyways back on topic, IMO if two people no matter what sexuallity they are want to get married, its fine by me.......

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Wow..

I'm extremely proud to be a part of a community (being LO) that has such great- and open-minded people! Really means a lot, guys.

I'm in America, obviously, and my older sister is a lesbian, and currently is schedule to be married to her fiance in January, I believe.

So, naturally, I have absolutely nothing against gays, lesbians, or even transexuals, and just to go one step further I have nothing against race or religion, as long as it isn't rubbed in my face.

As to the marriage deal, I am in 100% full agreement with you there, robotnik. All the legal issues just .. overcomplicates, really, a simple idea. And it's really, really stupid, in my opinion. If two people are in love, the government should have NO right to say if they can be married or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'm also in support of gay marriage, if for no other reason then there's no real reason against it. I don't have any problems with homosexuality as a whole (Although I won't go into a rant about it this time), so I don't see any reason why gay marriage should be an issue.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

We certainly are an enlightened bunch here on LO. Nemisis, shake your sisters hand for me, and wish her good luck.

I don't have any problems with homosexuality as a whole (Although I won't go into a rant about it this time), so I don't see any reason why gay marriage should be an issue.
    Thats becasue some people say that "Marrige is a sacred instituion between a man and a woman." Marrige, IMHO is "A sacred institution between two people." That sould be the definition IMHO.

I think marriage should have all legal ramifications stripped from it, so that the law never recognizes two people being in a couple. People can still get married, but it will be purely a religious/spiritual/social recognition of their coupling in the eyes of society and their peers.
    Good point. At least it will stop those nasty divorce settlements, at least for the money part.

~Yossanrion
    Last edited by Lord Yossanrion; October 8th, 2005 at 09:02.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I don't see why gay people getting married is any different, nor should it be treated any different, whether you support it or not.
    Last edited by onlainari; October 10th, 2005 at 03:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

Yoss, I guess you meant sacred, not scared.
    coughyescough. *edits*

~Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast