Aliens - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Aliens

What are your thoughts on aliens? I used to be fascinated by aliens, but I don't think about them anymore. What would you be thinking if aliens decided to make contact with the Earth? Grab your nearest flamer?

Personally I don't see why they'd want to come here anyway, it'd be funnier to watch from a distance :w00t:.

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I always liked the line from "Contact" best -

"Dad, do you think there's people on other planets? "

"I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space. "

I hold firm that there's intelligent life somewhere else in the universe. Perhaps not in our Solar System, but perhaps atleast in the Milky Way. That doesn't necessarily they're intelligent by our standards.

On the subject of them visiting Earth, I also firmly believe that they have much more to fear from us than we do from them. I remember hearing someone talk about this long, long ago (Back when I was actually still interested in these types of things). The theory this guy proposed was that the more technologicaly advanced a culture was, the less aggressive that culture would happen to be. So, his conclusion was that by the time an alien culture was advanced enough to travel to Earth, they'd be a matured, peaceful culture, and little threat to us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

A lot of people think aliens would attack/blow up/destroy the Earth.

If they are clever enough to get here, would they be clever enough to not blow it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I don't see how level of technology correlates to peacefulness. I would think if anything it would be the opposite. Wars are the greatest spur to technological achievement humanity has. Where else does your life depend on what you invent/discover?

Yeah I also used to be fascinated by aliens. You know what, this sounds wierd but the older I get the less surprised I'd be if they just showed up one day. I really don't think it would make that much difference to people's everyday life, assuming they didn't melt us/eat us/turn us into biomass.

Actually I can't really think of many things that would surprise me anymore, except maybe Armageddon happening exactly as it says in the Bible (beasts in the sea, lambs, angels, trumpets etc.) I must admit that would perturb me a little...

I would just look up into the sky where the Hosts of Heaven were fighting with the Demons and Jesus was flying around and think "Crap, I didn't expect that to happen."

But aliens... if they showed up tomorrow I think the first thought that would enter my head would be "well, I guess we knew it was only a matter of time till something like this happened."

EDIT: By the way I am not denigrating the bible or anything. My mum's a catholic (Y)

Just trying to make a little joke so if anyone feels offended I will remove it and apologize
    Last edited by Kahoolin; October 18th, 2005 at 09:01.

I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

i dont see how aliens can get to earth in the first place. unless they can utilise worm holes (the fabric of space bieng bent like a fold) to get here it is nigh on impossible.

i do believe they exist. its incredibly egotistical to believe that they DONT exist, that we are the only intelligent life in the EVER expanding universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik
    I don't see how level of technology correlates to peacefulness.
    I agree, necessity is the mother of invention. If an alien culture was so technologically advanced that they could cross the vast distances between solar systems they would likely have some interesting and effective means of offensive and defensive weaponry.

Plus, if we were to use the examples of humanity during the 'age of discovery' upon encountering an 'inferior' and 'technologically backward' society, we could be in for a severe ass-whoopin'. The things we do to our own kind are unredeemable horror stories, and there is absolutely no evidence or reason ( other than wishful thinking ) to assume that a non-terrestial culture would react any different.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik
    Actually I can't really think of many things that would surprise me anymore, except maybe Armageddon happening exactly as it says in the Bible (beasts in the sea, lambs, angels, trumpets etc.) I must admit that would perturb me a little...

I would just look up into the sky where the Hosts of Heaven were fighting with the Demons and Jesus was flying around and think "Crap, I didn't expect that to happen."
    That is hilarious!

As far as whether or not there is intelligent alien life somewhere in this or another universe...?

Sure, why wouldn't there be?

The multiverse doesn't care about the arrogance of humanity, so why would life creating and sustaining conditions occur on only 1 planet out of an infinity of them?
    Last edited by Joker; October 18th, 2005 at 14:06.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

We can all conclude quite logically that it's entirely possibly that life exists elsewhere in the universe. We can not conclude as soundly that it must indeed exist elsewhere. Possibility does not actuality make.

Would technologically adept alien species be necessarily warlike?

If we hold evolution as a basic principle in all life (something which is more controversial, at current, than the existence of aliens), then competition for resources and survivability would be a central and primal experience for whatever species, just as it is for us, all of which means there'd be a good chance of conflict. Otherwise, any conjectures at how aliens would behave are predicated solely upon our understanding of how we behave, and how thorough and objective that understanding is remains questinable. Really, we haven't a clue what aliens would do upon any encounters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Possibility does not actuality make.
    Perzactly. I remember reading once a proof that aliens exist. The chance of intelligent life developing on a planet are something like 1 in a couple hundred million, (or billion, can't remember). There are trillions of planets in the universe. Based on these facts there MUST be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

On the flip side, we're all wargamers, how many times does 1 in 6 come up 9 out of 10 times?

I think they are out there, the proof, wait and see.
    Last edited by THE Hersh; October 18th, 2005 at 20:08. Reason: spelling, what else
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I just wonder what's harder math, gravity like force on a small space ship or travelling through bent space and time.

Also, if aliens were about, I think they'd be sending robots down here, not themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Possibility does not actuality make.
    This statement may as well be Shroedinger's Cat for all the ability it leaves where counter-argument is concerned!

But I personally accept the 'possibility' of a baseball bat striking my skull as a painful act without needing the 'actuality' of the proof. :tongue:

I'm glad your a teacher DVC04 it gives me hope for the youth of today!:yes:

Now back to those pesky aliens:

I'm with onlainari on this one, an advanced society would be more likely to send robots first.

Probably in the form of biomechanical robots like roaches that can go damn near anywhere and survive damn near any conditions <and live without their heads for 9 days> so as not to be easily detectable and maintain maximum information gathering ability.

Anyway, that's the first step I would taken towards contact if given comensurate technological capability.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast