Firefly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Firefly

...what do people think? I personally absolutely love it, I can't think of a better sci-fi series, Star Trek and Star Wars movies included.

What makes it for me is the characterisation. The interactions and dependencies are there from the first episode, as well as a dynamic setting, and it just screams "WATCH ME!!!!"

Opinons please, people.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you on Firefly. I've been meaning to pick up the DVD of the series ever since Serenity was released in theatres, because that just brought everything back.

Serenity, for me, was the first bit of good sci fi since Episode III of Star Wars came out. A rather long break in between.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Does the film match up the series? I've not seen Serenity, I'm wondering whether the DVD is worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes
    Does the film match up the series? I've not seen Serenity, I'm wondering whether the DVD is worth it.
    Yes. It in fact picks up a little while after the series ended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Totally. An excellent series, and tragically cut off in the prime of its development.

The charecterisation, ensemble playing and team dynamics were all exemplary, there was not a weak character in the cast - so much good stuff, but Adam Baldwins 'Jayne' is effortlessly laugh out loud funny ("I'll be in my bunk", "Do you know what the Command Chain is..." etc.)

Minor gripe - it did seem to be a bit fixated on 19th Century American iconography - it would have added more verisimilitude to have different cultural 'themes' in different settlements, and more evidence of high tech 'toys and tools' for the settlers. I saw nary an Ipod. But the use of Mandarin Chinese is very 'realistic' as China will undoubtedly become the global superpower within our own lifetimes.

I saw 'Serenity' first and then worked back to Firefly. I think it is the best sci-fi since the first Alien film.

Last edited by Hard A**; November 14th, 2005 at 19:09.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

*Points at sig and needs say no more. But will anyways.*

I love Firefly. I have since I was *forced* to watch the pilot. I say forced because, when it was described as 'kind of a space-western thing made by the guy who made Buffy.', I let it known that sounded like the dumbest idea for a show ever.
    Then, you know, I actually watched Serenity, and the rest is history.

I'm not quite sure what makes me like Firefly so much. It's a combination of everything. The characters, the unique setting, the humour, everything.
    That, and it's endlessly quoatable. I've lost track of how many people I've used the 'Chain of Command' line on. (You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'till you realize who's in ruttin' command!)
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Thee Forsaken One

I love Firefly. Great lines and great characters.

It also amuses me how all the high-tech gadgets in it seem to break down. ^_^

I also saw Serenity before Firefly. Although I think it's a crime that they axed the show.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Firefly is an excellent series, and it really makes me horribly sad that they won't be continuing it.

I have yet to see Serenity, but according to my brother it is excellent, and he's the one who got me (and my mom) hooked on the series.

Nonetheless, it is still an awesome show to watch and we can always hope they make something else in the future about it.

My brother's reason as to why the show failed on TV: the show is filled with subtle and intelligent humour, and intelligent people tend not to watch that much TV.

"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I've seen a couple of the eps on tv, but with the random screenings of it I haven't seen much, but enough to know the characters and the basic storyline, I was hooked, but then the movie came out and I should be getting my box sex delivered later this week (along with the BSG set)
    I honestly don't understand why people don't like it, it is brilliantly written and acted

oh and Kaylee (Jewel Staite).....
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mpdscott
    oh and Kaylee (Jewel Staite).....
    Amen to that, brother. :yes:

I can understand somewhat why people didn't like it - the humour was extremely subtle and intelligent, really. You had to have at least half a brain to understand it, and, no offense to some people, most of the people that watched it, or Fox in general, didn't have the mind to like it - they didn't understand the show, and they didn't see what they wanted to see, so they didn't support it, so Fox didn't want it.

Very, very unfortunate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast