OdrGd Plz Mkit STP! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

OdrGd Plz Mkit STP!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051116/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

The english language is suffering another blow. Literature is being summarised text message style.

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Thee Forsaken One

That is as almost disgusting as when I read in the newspaper that somebody submitted an English essay in text language. When the teacher told him to write it in English the person said that it was the only language they knew :realmad:. How can that be so?

I pray that the world doesn't end up like this. I don't think I could handle a place that used text language for writing. :cry:

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

:cry: Eugh. I am disgusted. :realmad: How can you someup such beautiful and meaningful language in a text message?
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

By catering to the lowest common denominator, which has really shot up in recent years. Personally, I ****ing hate the ignorant. A little extra time with a book and you can learn ANYTHING. Language is another thing that annoys me, since its not that difficult to learn to spell things or have correct grammar if you use it often enough. My spelling and grammar is nigh on perfect, but if you ask me to conjugate a verb or whatever the hell I wouldnt have a clue. Repetition is the mother.

I dont like this development as its bowing to the ignorant, when instead we should be dragging them by the nads up to our level.
    "It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

I have to agree with all of you on this subject; disfiguring the English language like that is almost a crime in its own right. You have a beautiful language with so much wonderful prose and poetry; to deface Shakespeare and Milton like that is to destroy the cultural heritage that their works convey. I shudder to think how Shakespeare’s Sonnets would look if translated to txt!

Although I understand that some people might think the linguistic mutilation a minor evil compared to the younger generations ignoring the great authors of the past, I don’t agree with their methods. To me it seems a false way of teaching students about key plots and quotes as claimed in the article, and I certainly don’t believe that it will raise up educational standards; to improve their knowledge of literature the students should actually read it, not cheat and get the short version on their cell phones. I’ve read Romeo and Juliet, and I’m not even a native speaker of the English language! If I can, then anyone can.

What anyone can’t, however, is understand the magnitude of a written artwork like Romeo and Juliet from reading a message saying, "bothLuvrs kill Emselves". Where is the thought-inspiring in this, the feelings of great love and great despair? The only thing to despair about is the txt itself. :rolleyes: Why not improve this great idea by having a 5-year old paint a crayon copy of the Mona Lisa and send that to students as well? Or Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony played on harmonica? God forbid that anyone actually challenges the students’ intellect and creative minds!

And to think that a professor of English Literature is involved in this crime against written art.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Actually guys, I find shakespeare to be poor english. It is often nearly incomprehensible. I think modern day literature should be tought, instead of that garbage.

At least we all agree that teaching text message language in school is a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

it wasn't poor english back when everyone spoke/wrote it that way, in ye honoured olde englishe. but yeah, contemporary english versions of the literature would be fine to teach kids.

and how to teach kids, by forcing them to read the books, because let's face it, there are so many other things i'd have rather done back when i was younger than read some giant book

i thought it was an accomplishment when i read the three lotr books back when i was 11 (long before the movies...), and why did i do it; because my dad had me sit in his office for 3 hours a day in the afternoon; two choices: study or read these books he had... what can i say, i kept good grades horribly easy, and i also learned how to zone out on command.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I have to agree that it's retarded to teach things using text messaging or text talk, I have always views the English language as something rather important - especially in English speaking countries. Whenever I hear people speaking the truely bastardized version for our language it makes me want to bludgeon them to death with the dictionary, this goes doubly for chavs. I am no perfect lingiust or writer but I do attempt to speak and write correctly, in English. To butcher this is a bloody crime and well... for the sakes of decentcy we'll keep the acts of violence quiet for now.

As to not doing Shakespeare, why not? Is not learning the history of one the worlds greatest playwrites not worth the extra time learning how the language has evolved? Yes they used old words, which we have now phased out, but that was how they spoke and they more than likely did as we have done and phased out many words from previous useage. You honestly think we would have such a language today if it wasn't for the evolution? I'm prattling I know but I'm just saying look at the evolution of the language and the use of it, it tells a lot.

Oh and if not for the likes of Shakespeare or poets of that time, what would we study? Name me one modern playwrite or poet who's work will stand the test of time against the likes of the Bard?

(*waits to be proven wrong* :tongue: )

KU

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

Actually guys, I find shakespeare to be poor english. It is often nearly incomprehensible. I think modern day literature should be tought, instead of that garbage.
    Actaully I really like shakespere. Sooo goood. But you don't support text messaging English, so we face a common enemy. :yes:
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x3)

I often find I have to say most of the txt spk out loud to even understand it. Are we living in a world where everyone is so rushed for time that we use a word of letter/numbers to sum up a great piece of literature?

Why is everyone in such a ****ing hurry? Its not like those people in a rush ever really accomplish anything. Suffice to say I think a few years down the line we will realise what a huge mistake this was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast