Evolution of Society - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Evolution of Society

i often ponder how the world has become so. i feel sorry for everybody in my generation to live now, in such a shallow, crappy excuse for civilisation. Look what we've done, and how we've evolved. I feel like i belonged to live 30 years ago, where life was still decent to a degree.

Or how about 1000 years ago? in a different time.

Now this kind of relates back to my ideas on religion, the ideal of a perfect society.
    In all honesty i believe that religion is something we've created along the way, perhaps to control masses, or to manipulate others into your will.

Religions ideals on a perfect society, where everybody lives in peace is just not Feasiable. We cant see through petty things, such as colour, or religious choices.

How can a world live in united harmony, i mean absolute peace, ie a utopian world, with religion. Think about. A majority of religions are idealistic, and expect everybody to believe in the same concepts. Sure, Christiantity, 'believes' in appreciating everybody, but do they.

Corruption as such exists in the human core, inside of us. Our very function leeds us to corrupt our moral standards. Ergo a perfect society can NEVER exist.
    On the matter of evolution of society, our development has stemmed directly from our Moral Beliefs. Yet everyday they are betrayed.

This reminds me of a qoute in the back of the ork codex from a Eldar Farseer (sorry for warhammer analogy)

" The orks are the pinnacle of creation. for them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them?..."

This causes me to think about the purpose of ones function. Would not everything be perfect if we didnt have the capacity to ask "Why?"

What are your opinions on the evolution of society, and how things have effected it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Bonjordo, I hate to say this, but, you ARE the future of this world. My daughter is seven years old. I only have a couple more years that I can realistically teach her to be a better person. You are fairly youmg, you have yet to have children, (I think). It is your job, (I guess that is a good word to use), to learn from my mistakes, and my parents and to make this world better for my daughter and your kids.

Wow, that was heavy.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Hershy (for about the umpteemth time tonnight) has got it right.

Jordo, you and I are the future of this world. We can learn from the mistakes of the past and present, and apply them to the future. Our society may be crappy (not so IMHO, it is a little corrput, but it has always been. Hell, I wouldn't have wanted to be around during the Cold War. That would have been scary.) but we have a chance, and a choice to try and change it.

Society isn't that bad nowadays. Look at your quality of life. Sure it may not always be fun, but hell you are better of than those kids 100 years ago. Or even 50 years ago. Women now have more rights. Racisim isn't as bigger problem. Science is getting better. If we apply our mind to it we can do anything.

And even if you don't succed, the fact that we did our part and more, and did our best to make the world a better place, matters.

"Why fight the inevitable? Because you can!"
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bonjordo
    i often ponder how the world has become so. i feel sorry for everybody in my generation to live now, in such a shallow, crappy excuse for civilisation. Look what we've done, and how we've evolved. I feel like i belonged to live 30 years ago, where life was still decent to a degree.
    When I look at the world, I feel the same way.....:sleep:
    I have thought about alot of time periods in history, and they all have flaws. But I have to say, dispite the flaws we have now, I would rather live here than any other time....

I feel that world is going backwards...in intelligence. I look at kids at school, and wonder how they ever got where they are right now because they act so....you know.... I just don't know...:sleep:
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Lord Hoss, thanx for the vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by warrior poet
    I feel that world is going backwards...in intelligence. I look at kids at school, and wonder how they ever got where they are right now because they act so....you know.... I just don't know...:sleep:
    I disagree, kids are not less intelligent then they were. I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. I think you may want to use the word education. When you think about it, tho, education levels have not gone down, they have goen in different directions. My 7 year old may have some troubles reading, (I think she is on par for her age, at least I hope she is), but damn, does she know computers. She is almost as good as I am in base computer skills. Even look at the impoverished kids in first world nations, they have an education of sorts. It might not be what we want, but, it is an education.

All of this ties back into my last post. All you kids have a job. And that is to clean up our mess. When it comes to raising kids, the pendulum has swung to far to the liberal side. All of you need to fix it. Look at my generations mistakes, (and my fathers generation), and fix them. Don't get down about it. Look at it as your way to improve the world in an "easy" and enjoyable way.
    Last edited by THE Hersh; November 24th, 2005 at 22:34.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by THE Hersh
    Lord Hoss, thanx for the vote of confidence.

I disagree, kids are not less intelligent then they were. I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. I think you may want to use the word education. When you think about it, tho, education levels have not gone down, they have goen in different directions. My 7 year old may have some troubles reading, (I think she is on par for her age, at least I hope she is), but damn, does she know computers. She is almost as good as I am in base computer skills. Even look at the impoverished kids in firsst world nations, they have an education of sorts. IT might not be what we want, but, it is an education.

All of this ties back into my last post. All you kids have a job. And that is to clean up our mess. When it comes to raising kids, the pendulum has swung to far to the liberal side. All of you need to fix it. Look at my generations mistakes, (and my fathers generation), and fix them. Don't get down about it. Look at it as your way to improve the world in an "easy" and enjoyable way.
    As THE Hersh states kids are not getting dumber, it is just there education seperating off in a new and interesting direction. The world is constantly evolving. Language, education, science, everything is changing.

I sometimes despair at the spelling and general grammer of some people on this planet, and as a general rule it is the younger generations that have the deficiency. (This is only an observation of life in general, as most younger members of this board have an excellent grasp of the lingo. Better than me in most cases.) But then you realise that language evolves just like everything else. This is just the way it is going. I'm sure Shakespeare would despair with us. :cry:

The problem is that in the past that mistakes have not been learn't from. From one generation to the next, the same basic principles have been forgotten. I agree that bonjordo that religion has been the cause in most areas to the largest tragedies on this planet, however, it is not the many but the few that make the mistakes. I believe though that once religions agree to disagree and leave it at that, the world would be a happier place. No one person should force their beliefs on any other.

But these are just the ramblings of a strange Ginger man, so regard them as such :tongue:
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja
    I'm sure Shakespeare would despair with us. :cry:
    But Marlowe would love us.. Decreased religious hegemony, rampant 'immorality.' The guy would be in heaven.

I don't think there's anything wrong with our society, at least, no more so than 30 years ago. It's easy to romanticise, but we have to remember the 1970s saw their own stupidities, prejudices, fears about degrading standards, and moral panics as we have today.

I think the idea of the perfect society depends entirely on your point of view, of course. The achievement of a society which was perfect for everyone would either require only one person to exist, or perhaps multiple people with exactly the same ideas on everything, or for a fundamental alteration in the nature of human beings.

I like the latter option best.

But, until people cease to exist as individuals, I guess we just have to accept what we're given, define a goal we can work towards, and achieve it. Then we can at least claim a momentary achievement, regardless of how hollow it is in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Interesting side note. You mention Shakespeare despairing. I also noticed this in that thread about the de-evolution of English grammar. Are you aware that Shakespeare did more to butcher the English language than anyone since? He has created words in everyone of his works, (that I have read). He uses improper tenses, misuses words. I like his stuff, but, dnag, someone should have taught him basic grammar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior poet
    I highly doubt that. Each generation of children has about 100,000 more brain cells than the last. Our foreheads are also getting bigger to accomodate them. Just look at the neanderthals, and how their head's shape is so different from ours.

Basically, your kids are always going to be smarter than you, as are their kids, and their kids and so on. I think the real problem is short attention spans. Kids these days have the potential to learn, but many choose not to.

It's their fault if they end up working at a petrol station, and the nerdy kid they picked on in class ends up being a multi-millionare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Trust me If you meet some of the kids at my school, you'd think you were in the stone age.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast