Health Care in your country? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Health Care in your country?

We have been having this debate in the Canucks forum, so i thought I would throw it out to see what Health care is like in other countries?

In Canada, we have the last Public only health care system. With minor exceptions you have to get health care from Government Publically funded institions. We have Universal coverage. If you want to pay for something out of that system, you have to go to another country.

We are experiencing a decreasing level of Health Care in Canada, as we just can't keep up to the dollars needed to fund Health Care for an ever aging population. While I don't advocate a U.S. style, there are many other systems that seem to work around the world with a Parallel privately funded system.

Is this true?

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member impending slaughter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I'm from the UK. We have the NHS (National Health Service) which is basically crap. Everyone contributes to it in the form of NI (National Insurance) contribution, basically a form of income tax. More and more people are using private healthcare though because of the ridiculous waiting lists involved with the NHS and the so-called 'superbugs' such as MRSA make it so some people come out of NHS hospitals worse of than when they went in.

Personally (probably becasue I'm a bitter cynic) I would pick a private healthcare system over a public one every time
    Last edited by impending slaughter; December 17th, 2005 at 23:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by impending slaughter
    I'm from the UK. We have the NHS (National Health Service) which is basically crap. Everyone contributes to it in the form of NI (National Insurance) contribution, basically a form of income tax. More and more people are using private healthcare though because of the ridiculous waiting lists involved with the NHS and the so-called 'superbugs' such as MRSA make it so some people come out of NHS hospitals worse of than when they went in.

Personally (probably becasue I'm a bitter cynic) I would pick a private healthcare system over a public one every time
    I would disagree that the NHS is totally crap - true, i'm not the most knowledgeable person on the health system, so i could be saying several wrong things here, but...

The waiting lists are long, and there are problems with superbugs, but still - it's free. If you have the money to go private, then go private by all means, but the low-income family that has a family member with a serious illness probably isn't going to be able to afford that, and in my opinion everyone has the right to healthcare (i diverge from this view on certain issues, but i won't express them here). Of course, private is better, but then again, it has it's own considerable funds behind it, and not a government administrating it....*rambles off on a rant about the political system*

It has it's faults, but in the end, it's better than paying, right?

LoC
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Senior Member impending slaughter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofchange
    I would disagree that the NHS is totally crap - true, the waiting lists are long, and there are problems with superbugs, but still - it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordofchange
    It has it's faults, but in the end, it's better than paying, right?

LoC
    You are paying, its called tax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Yeah... but would you rather pay only a fraction of the possible cost (things like MRI scans would cost something in the tens of thousands) over the course of your lifetime through NI, or be smacked in the face with a ****ing huge bill all at once?
    "It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Phobos
    Yeah... but would you rather pay only a fraction of the possible cost (things like MRI scans would cost something in the tens of thousands) over the course of your lifetime through NI, or be smacked in the face with a ****ing huge bill all at once?
    That's pretty much what i was trying to say...but then i kinda forgot to say it:wacko: . Thanks Phobos.

Seeing as you'll be paying the tax all of your life anyway, surely it doesn't make much of a difference - sure if you had to cut a piece out of your income every so often to pay towards it, it would raise problems with financial planning and the like, but with the tax you can expect the cut coming and can therefore adjust your expenses and be able to pay for everything.

Though i could be wrong, seeing as i don't pay tax yet.:tongue:

LoC
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

We in Australia have a Public Health System in place, it is intended for those who cannot afford, for one reason or another, Private health coverage. The problem there is Private Coverage has become so expensive in recent years, and the coverage reduced to cover so little of what is commonly needed, that a lot of people have left Private coverage. The national move to Private Health Coverage was almost demanded by the Prime Minister in order to justify his desire to cut funding to a system that did not produce any profit for the country. The Private Health companies then decided that if most people were going to become members of a Private company, then they'd charge higher premiums and reduce the coverage in order to maintain (or increase) their profit margin. I'm lucky, I rarely get sick, and even though I am a very clumsy person, I have never injured myself to the point of needing to go to hospital. This could have something to do with not wanting to sit around in Emergancy for a few hours waiting for a doctor to become available. Health cover should be like education (should be), freely available to everyone. If people want a medical procedure that is not life saving (ie breast augmentation) then that is when they should be charged a fortune for taking up a hospital bed that someone else could need.
    Does that all make sense?
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

The thing about public health care is at least here in Canada because its the only option is that is held to a high standard. sure there are great hospitals in the U.S., but theres no standard so some hospitals are really really bad. What we need is for the doctors to get paid more so they won't all flock to the U.S. and the government to be tax responsible and not waste tons of money on things like gun registry, so that the doctors can get more and so we can advance our medical knowledge and equipment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by librarian Augustine
    The thing about public health care is at least here in Canada because its the only option is that is held to a high standard. sure there are great hospitals in the U.S., but theres no standard so some hospitals are really really bad. What we need is for the doctors to get paid more so they won't all flock to the U.S. and the government to be tax responsible and not waste tons of money on things like gun registry, so that the doctors can get more and so we can advance our medical knowledge and equipment
    Your view of American medical facilities is not very accurate. American hospitals are very good. If I ever got sick or badly hurt I would hope it was in America. I have been to the ER for a minor broken arm and was seen with in 2 hours. I know a Canadian who had to wait over half a day to be seen for a major gash on their leg. The kid ended up getting 16 stiches to close his wound. My father went to the ER with heart problems. He was initially investiagted by a nurse only 3 minutes after entering and would have been seen by a doctor right away but he got bumped for 2 double multiple stabbing patients.

Do I want every person to have insurance in America? Yes! However, I know that in a non-competitive enviroment it would lower the quality of care in the long run. I think the most important thing it to get coverage to the people who need it the most. That is why right now I am supporting a program that would cover all children under 18. I also donate about $100 a year to a free public clinic. I know $100 isn't much but after I donate to my other charities it is all I can give.

Edit: I can't wait for Greph's Post on this issue.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

My experience of Canadian healthcare is pretty good, they stuck me on morphine for a broken arm, and gave me a bed. I spent a pleasant few days lying around feeling warm and tingly.

Here, they'd just have stuck the correcting pin in, put on a cast, patted me on the back and sent me off home.

The only problem with the NHS I think, ultimately, is that it's ridiculously ineficient. It needs to cut its disproportionately large workforce (it's the 3rd biggest employer in the world, apparently, after the PLA and some other thing) and sort itself out.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 18th, 2005 at 04:33.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast