Do you go to church? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Do you go to church?

OK I've got another one to add to the current rash of religion topics!

I've just been doing some investigating with census data on the net and found some interesting things.

In countries where the census would make it appear that most people are religious, this is actually not always the case, as sometimes only a very small percentage of people actually attend church at least once a month. For example according to the census, about 63% percent of Australians are christians, but surveys conducted by church attendance groups have found that only about 8% of these 63% actually go to church or even think that the bible is anything more than a book written by humans, perhaps with parts of it divinely inspired. In Germany, Sweden and Denmark attendance is even lower than it is in Australia.

This means that while many people in say, America (44% actual church attendance) would assume that the average western European or Aussie is a christian kind of like them, in fact they probably aren't.

Another interesting fact is that in the USA, many people lie about going to church, so their attendance figures are a bit higher than they should be! This is interesting as it shows that in this country people feel that they should be going to church, even if they aren't. In Australia on the other hand no one gives a toss whether you go to church or not, we don't consider it a measure of a good person.

So I was wondering, is there anyone on LO who considers themselves religious but doesn't go to church, and if so why not?

PS I got my stats from a bunch of different sites, mostly governmental or national church group survey sites. I haven't bothered linking to them all but if anyone wants me to I will

Oh and the Australian stats do not include people under the age of 15 as the surveyors assumed that most of these are at church because of their parents, not because they choose to be.

EDIT: I started investigating this stuff because many of the up and coming Aussie politicians in both major parties are church-going religious types, and I had the feeling this wasn't really representative of the Australian people. Looks like I was right. I want our old politicians back, the kind who only went to church for weddings and funerals, just like the rest of us!

Last edited by Kahoolin; January 7th, 2006 at 04:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I do not go to church. i do not wish to waste my time. Thats all. Members will probably know i dislike religion, so no way in hell will i go to church.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to church mostly on the big holidays, i.e. Easter, Christmas and such. Occasionally we'll go on a random sunday, only because my grandfather is very religious, so we'll go with him.
    The New Yawka of TheAmericanClan
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    [15:29] <Caluin> I don't care where you came from, if I can smash my forehead into your nuts, I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoboss
    [12:06] * Phoboss IS INVICLBLE!

The Star Wars Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik
    So I was wondering, is there anyone on LO who considers themselves religious but doesn't go to church, and if so why not?
    In Denmark 86% of the population are members of the National Church of Denmark, yet only 12% are regular church-goers. Because of being partially funded by the government, the National Church has in Denmark got a purpose that isn’t strictly religious; many are members for the sake of tradition only, or because they want to benefit from the nonreligious services provided by the church to the populace at large. Rather than being religious but not going to church, many Danes aren’t religious but do go to church in spite of this, as do I for instance. Here, the church has in many ways become a secular institution rather than a religious one.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

I think it is probably the same here in Canada. We are more secular than the U.S., but I think something like 24% of the people are considered church go-ers. If that numbers was changed to "regular" church go-ers, I think it would be quite a bit less.

As for my family and I, we go to church 3 out of 4 Sundays of a month.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I quit attending church when I was 17. For a time I returned at Christmas and Easter, first to appease my family and second to keep up appearances. As I grew intellectually more distant from the idea of dedicating myself to a religion, I stopped going altogether.

I was raised as a Southern Baptist and first felt dissatisfied with my church, not to mention the idea of religion in general, when I began to ask questions to which nobody had a suitable answer. I felt that I was being indoctrinated and that my religion didn't size up against rational inquiry.

Literature and learning loom large in my "great divorce." In particular, the study of world mythologies dissuaded me from the idea of a Christian god, or any other god for that matter. The stories of these deities repeat themselves throughout history, and they all share so many similarities: it'd be simply foolish of me to believe in just one of them. And should I hold belief in some entity beyond them all, some divine force that supersedes all the religions we know, then I expect some evidence manifest in the tangible world, and not one that exists only in our collective imaginations.

As it is, I believe that no divine force presents itself to us, that the very concept is an invention of us humans, and that to turn myself over to such a thing would assign myself to a life of misplaced devotion. I'd much rather look at this world around me and fall in love with it and the people in it than worry with a great beyond.

The Uncivil Servent Mikhail The Heretic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Well the only time that i have been in church in the last 10 years has been for wedings and funerals however i only attend them out of respect for others.

Horus betrayed the Emperor because the Emperor crushed his favorite puppy with his Land Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    It's all about real ultimate power redoing the forum skin in pink and plaid

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

I don't mind going to catholic Churches for the occasional Mass (if someone I know is going), but evangelical churches I will not go to unless I have a good reason (I'm with a friend and it would be rude not to come). Apart from that I don't go to Church, bar funerals, weddings, and other things... I don't go on a regular, planned basis.

Didn't Jesus say Church was anywhere people gathered to worship God? :blink:
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yossanrion
    Didn't Jesus say Church was anywhere people gathered to worship God? :blink:
    Yes, the Church isn't a building or an orginazation. It is the community of believers and local fellowships, wether that is in someones livingroom or a great Tabernacle.

It could be Yoss and I on online, discussing Christian matters.
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; January 7th, 2006 at 17:43.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I don't go to church, I am not a christian and I don't want to be a part of what they should consider their own thing. It would be like me going to the local Synagogue or Mousque. I only celebrate christmas because my family does it, and because I want presents. :shifty:

If you're not a believer, I think you should stay clear of places of worship. However, I really like the atmosphere in churches and similar, and they're often very beautiful too. :yes:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast