Can U.N. sanctions avert a nuclear holocaust? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can U.N. sanctions avert the Iranian nuclear threat?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

4 19.05%
  • No.

13 61.90%
  • I don't know.

2 9.52%
  • I don't care.

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Can U.N. sanctions avert a nuclear holocaust?

Appearing to finally come to a decision, some major European nations have noticed that just 'talking' to Iran about their nuclear program hasn't stopped the Iranians from moving forward with the expressed desire of developing a program that can ultimately lead to the destruction of Israel. Of course Iran wasn't very happy that they couldn't keep lulling these nations into a false sense of comraderie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10803220/

Iran's president has made it very clear that he wants to "wipe Israel off the map".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4384264.stm

Israel's military has insisted that even if an Iranian first strike is intercepted it will eliminate Iran completely with their nuclear second strike.

Want to read an article outlining the crisis?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=47935

So the question is do you really think that U.N. sanctions will be enough to curtail the growing problem or do you think that Israel may have no choice other than to destroy the Iranian nuclear facilities like they did to Iraq in the early 1980's?

Having nuclear capability isn't necesarilly a bad thing. It can safely provide power and comfort to thousands, on the other hand if used militarily it can also provide death and radiation sickness to thousands also.

Given the statements made recently by the current Iranian president it's clear to me that his government has no intention of using nuclear power for only peaceful means. It's my hope that sanctions can work. But I wouldn't condemn Israel for destroying Iran's capabilities today if they chose to do so.

Last edited by Joker; January 13th, 2006 at 17:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Well.. You could argue that Israel is an aggressive government with no right to nuclear weapons (let alone the stocks of chemical and biological weapons they have, since they haven't signed any international treaties restricting weapons technology.) I don't think Iran is neccesarily the problem here.. I wouldn't go so far as to say Israel is either. To be honest, neither is blameless.

Meanwhile, we in the Western world, who have massive arsenals of nuclear weapons, and include among our ranks the only country in the world ever to use them in warfare, feel content to take a morally superior attitude, and to decide who is capable or incapable of handling responsibility for weapons which could destroy our entire species. Does that strike anyone else as hypocritical?

I have abseloutely no doubt Israel will destroy Iranian nuclear facilities if it feels threatened. It's never exactly demonstrated a great measure of respect for international protocol regarding such things.

Sorry if this comes across as anti-Israel.. I'm not anti-Israel at all, as I'm sure there are some great people living there. However, to the extent that I hold opinions I am anti-racist, and I consider Zionism, one of the founding concepts of the Israeli state, a racist ideolology.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; January 13th, 2006 at 22:16.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

The UN can't even avert an aggressive sneeze, how can anyone expect them to avert a nuclear incident? As usefull as the UN could have been, it has lost relevance in the world. This is partly the fault of the United States of Arrogance, who have constantly and consistantly ignored and rejected anything the UN has tried to do; and partly because they have what equates to no political clout - a toothless bulldog if you will. The most that the UN can actually do, is go "Oh, that's naughty, you shouldn't do that. Now you've been told". Even their own military protocols say that their fully armed and equipped soldiers can't protect innocents, they have to watch them get slaughtered, and just return fire if one of their own is shot; it's pathetic, you can't expect anyone to do anything if you are not prepared to enforce it.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

The UN will be only as effective as its members. Iran knows, as does N Korea, that the USA can't manage any actions beyond the diplomatic. It seems to me that the European members of the UN will have to support any actions if sanctions are violated, and those violations seem likely considering Iran's incalcitrance to global demands. They persist, breaking UN seals on equipment, while claiming they intend it only for energy. I think that's bull, and many governments also do, something made obvious by their demands to cease enrichment alone.

But does Iran have a sovereign right to pursue nuclear power? That's another problem, but although they are our ally, they're dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I doubt it. Once someone has hinted that they wold love to "wipe the other off the map," they're usually pretty serious and will probably try to do it.

I would be much happier if the US government invaded a country like Iran or North Korea with an excuse like preventing the use of nuclear weapons than invading Iraq.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I have to say No. South Africa devolped crude nuclear weapons even after UN sanctions were put on them, it just wont work.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I read that the government of Iran is worried about their leader as he ran as a moderate and then once he got in started behaving like a religious freak. He is not representative of the populace or the rest of is party and follows some heretical imam generally regarded as a nut by most Iranians. It's sort of like if a US presidential candidate pretended to be a normal guy and then once he got in he revealed he followed Kabbalah (the hollywood cult not the Jewish mystical philosophy) and made everyone wear those red strings and drink magic kabbalah water. If he gets too silly he will probably have an "accident."

I don't take the notion of a nuclear holocaust seriously anyway. Not gonna happen. It assumes that people in power are hateful of their enemies to the point of self-destruction, which I find very hard to believe.

Oh and I wholeheartedly agree with The_Giant_Mantis. Either everyone should be allowed to have nuclear weapons or no-one should. For the west to say "it's OK for us but not for you" is at best an offensively colonial attitude.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

First off Isreal should not exist, they are like a very undisiplined child, spoiled and trying to get anything they want. And for the most part they get away with it.

Iran is the same way, and at this point has committed to too many threats, that they can't back down without looking spineless, something they don't want, so changing their mind diplomatically is probably not an option.

Our army is useless thanks to the higher ups and politians. They've been placed in a position where they can't move, and they've lost the psychological element they had. It used to be many people feared us because of our army, now it seems they've been slothed by all the tactical reliance on cruse missiles and other guided weapons.

Something needs to be done, but because of Iraq the US can't be a major participant in any operation for a while. And between the inevitable withdrawl and assisting in any operation in Iran, we have to train all our troops in Langauges spoken and written there, and urban and desert combat. Thye need to learn the customs, and then how to treat people so as to get respect as friends. Its easy to target the big green guy, who you can't talk to, and has a big gun. But if he wear customary clothing ot help blend in, and tries his best to communicate to, and knows not to look at your daughter, its possible he could be a friend.

But that would take a year or two. And I'm betting we don't have that. Plus I know the American people aren't ready for another war. I think we've already spent more money on this war, then they ever did in WWII. War is hell.

An alternate option is to infiltrate people into Israeli and Iranian nuclear weapon sites, and blow them up to recover the nuclear cores.
    Last edited by Forger of Civilization; January 15th, 2006 at 02:41.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Nope.

The have the talk, but no walk, if you get what I mean.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. That's like asking whether or not a snail can stop a monster truck. HELL NO! They have no backbone.
    The New Yawka of TheAmericanClan
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    [15:29] <Caluin> I don't care where you came from, if I can smash my forehead into your nuts, I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoboss
    [12:06] * Phoboss IS INVICLBLE!

The Star Wars Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast